MCO or MLB to Port Canaveral & Car Help

cakerbakermom

We are a family of four flying in from the Midwest....translate that as we are paying thru the nose to get to Orlando. Our dates are approximately Nov 9 or 10 to Nov 20. I have a few questions:

1. Would you fly into MCO or MLB, and why? (Both are over $400 at publish time)

2. What is the most economical way to get to Port of Canaveral? We want to fly in early, visit the Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island, and see the Manatees so a car will be necessary. When I try to mock book using Hertz, prices for a Corolla are over $100 a DAY!! We plan on staying at the Country Inn and Suites and sail on Saturday the 12th. Would need car from airport when we fly in (say Nov 9 or 10) until we sail (the 12th). We also would need a way to get from the port back to the airport. Funds are limited (hubby works in factory and I'm a homeschooling mommy).

Any suggestions and tips are graciously accepted. We have flown some, but only rented a car once or twice and was taken to cleaners on that deal (in Orlando, of all places!)

We fly to MCO because we can get nonstops on Southwest.

We do a one-way car rental using Avis, return to the location in Cocoa Beach, and take their free shuttle to the cruise terminal. We can usually get a minivan for $70 per day.

After the cruise, we use Cortrans to shuttle to back to MCO, for $20 per person.

Coupon codes seem to come out closer to the dates you rent. I booked my van in December (for August) and it seemed all the coupon codes were only for rentals through March. I plan on looking again around April or May. I did book the car just in case I don't find one, but will adjust the rate if I do. Try Mousesavers.com for discount rental codes.

Edited by E&B

You have 3 airports to choose from. Orlando, Sanford or Melbourne.

I would pick the one with the lowest airfares AND one-way car rentals. If costs are the same for these two things then Melbourne gets my vote for the easiest experience. I also like Sanford because of the Alegiant Air low airfares to/from Sanford.

To do what you want to see, a one-way rental car will be a must in my opinion so the discount codes are a great idea!

After the cruise you have to decide - if your flight leaves early then I would book a shuttle/taxi/Uber. If your flight departs after 1pm for example, I would opt for a rental car to explore a bit more at first.

Keep looking for better rental car rates. You have Alamo, Budget, and Hertz to choose from, along with doing a Hotwire rental, too.

I've gotten my best prices using Costco Travel. $74 for a minivan from MCO to Port Canaveral, for example (Hertz). I've gotten $35/day from Budget for a full-size car, too. I ended up going with Alamo - $58/day for a Nissan Maxima.

Find a rental you are comfortable with now and then keep checking as the date approaches. Without fail, I have gotten a better rate within the last week or so, but I still like to have one locked up just in case. You are also going at a relatively favourable time of year to get decent prices. Already, checking Budget, using BCD Y937800, I'm seeing $$50/day rates for cars and slightly more for SUV and Vans, from MCO and returning to Cape Canaveral, just down the road from the Country Inn and Suites

Edited by DanJ

I just asked a question about Melbourne airport to see what its like. I forgot to say I booked to arrive there. I am going in Nov. also but during Thanksgiving week and I just got it for $349 rd trip. you might want to look again. I hope I made the right choice. I usually fly out of Ft. Wayne but going out of Columbus,Ohio I will be on the Magic right after you!!!

Edited by madge57

I just found this video about Melbourne airport.

Hopefully it shows up. If not, look up: Cruise Port Canaveral - Essential Information for Cruisers: VIDEO 2 (Melbourne Airport Arrival) This looks like an easy peasy drive, save for the stoplights.

How does one found coupon codes for car rentals?

Additionally, are there discounts for Kennedy Space Center? Two adults, two kids under 12.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep looking for better rental car rates. You have Alamo, Budget, and Hertz to choose from, along with doing a Hotwire rental, too.

I've gotten my best prices using Costco Travel. $74 for a minivan from MCO to Port Canaveral, for example (Hertz). I've gotten $35/day from Budget for a full-size car, too. I ended up going with Alamo - $58/day for a Nissan Maxima.

We DO have a Costco membership. Do you have to bring your card along when you rent? I am seeing some much more affordable prices thru Budget using Costco.

We fly to MCO because we can get nonstops on Southwest.

We do a one-way car rental using Avis, return to the location in Cocoa Beach, and take their free shuttle to the cruise terminal. We can usually get a minivan for $70 per day.

After the cruise, we use Cortrans to shuttle to back to MCO, for $20 per person.

HI Bob,

When using Cortrans Shuttle do you have to wait until they "fill" a vehicle for the $20 each or do you reserve on-line before you go and they pick you up at a specific time? Our flight leaves Orlando at 12:30 so we need to be there 2 hrs prior and then allow for the 1 hour drive to the airport right? So we want to make certain to get off the ship early enough and begin the trek to Orlando. Please advise :c)

Thank you.

Tigers2425

I live 15 minutes away from the mlb airport and fly thru every two weeks. I would never pick Orlando over Melbourne unless it was to save a lot of money. You are in/out of airport within 5 minutes instead of 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app