Vegetarian review with photos: Crown Princess (Feb 5-9 2016)

Sattvika

I did order the Indian vegetarian once on the Golden. Although it was very good, they brought it in several massive bowls, more like serving bowls, all plopped in front of me. I was kind of embarrassed by the huge feast and never asked for it again!

Yes! It is so funny you mention that, because it has happened to us many times, and it IS always hugely embarrassing. That's the nice thing about RCL - they bring you a couple of different Indian dishes in individual sized bowls. Princess has a habit of bringing out family style serving platters, so even if the rest of us aren't eating it, we feel obliged to help out my husband. And considering that there's at least 2 main dishes, along with rice, raita (yogurt based dish), and naan or poppadum, it takes up half the table! This last time, though, we did insist to our waitress to, please, bring it out in small bowls. Sometimes, they'll leave the platters at their service station and will bring them back to the table to refill the plate, which is ideal.

On each of our 9 Princess cruises, we have requested Indian vegetarian at least two or three times per cruise. This has been a quick discussion with the head waiter the night before. In fact, this past new years, my husband, who does not eat meat on Sundays, asked the head waiter if they happened to have any Indian vegetarian already prepared that night, which was the first night of our cruise, and they did!
That's good to know. I've been trying to observe meatless Mondays and wondered what I'd do on our next cruise. The vegetarian option on the menu isn't always appealing to me. I guess the good thing is that most cruises don't start on a Monday, so I'll have time to make my request the night before.

Thank you, this thread has been very helpful. I've been vegetarian for a very long time and only on one cruise was it bad.

But now I am vegan, (side note - finally discovered my allergy to lactose and my life is so much better! lol) and I've been wondering how this next cruise is going go. I know I can always go to the buffet and get a big salad with protein (beans, lentils and such).

Vegan food is SO easy but because most of us don't think about it, it can seem difficult. I could fill this post with foods that don't have meat or dairy. It astounds me that in this day and age, some chefs can only think of steamed veggies and tofu. lol

Don't care about dessert much. Though I do enjoy a nice sorbet and a bit of dark chocolate now and then. Maybe I'll pack a chocolate bar. :)