Canadian boarding in Vancouver question

bigenna

If we board several hours before sailing, get our sea pass cards, store our luggage, etc., can we then exit the ship for a couple of hours then reboard without a problem?

I have a gift certificate for Spa Utopia at the Pan Pacific and I would like to book an appointment for a mani/pedi but not sure how this would work out in terms of clearing through customs, etc.

Depending on when you come through, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours from the time you step into the terminal until you actually board.

Why not book your mani/pedi for 10 in the morning and then board the ship and relax? It would not be worth the hassle to me to go through check-in, security, customs, boarding the ship, etc. only to get off again for the sake of an hour long appointment which you might be late for if things get delayed along the way.

Just my two cents worth...

You also have to be back on board for Muster drill, well before sailaway.

There really isn't that much time between the first person getting on ( assuming you are elite and the first in the elite boarding line - else you board after those groups ) and the cutoff for boarding - mani pedi's can be 2 hours, plus travel time back and forth.

Likely be better to have your appointment early morning or even the day before.

I guess booking an early appointment then boarding might be best.

I just have memories of my very first cruise - boarding in Vancouver for Alaska - with the same scenario, and our travel agent letting us know that it was possible to do this. This was about ten years ago and it was all so exciting, I guess I was hoping to recreate the feeling. That time we checked in, dropped our bags in our stateroom, Enjoyed a nice lunch, then disembarked, had my spa treatment, then leisurely reboarded. I don't remember all the (re)screening details though, hence my question to you that have done this more recently. I guess the process might have been simpler then.

BTW, muster drill is after sailaway isn't it?

Edited by bigenna

My suggestion: Drop your luggage early at the terminal (you are already in the Pan Pacific complex) - proceed to your spa treatment - you will have 4 - 6 hours at least, until final ship boarding time, so you would be fine with an appointment time of say 11:00 am to 1:00 pm or so. Not sure how familiar you are with the Pan Pacific and terminal area, but there are lots of ways to kill time right there without leaving the complex.

...VTX-Al

We are familiar with the area/port and sailaway is at 4:30.

We are elite, so hoping for check in by noon, bite of lunch - our "yea, our cruise is finally here" ritual, still time for 1:30 appointment and head back to ship by 3:30.

You may not be able to do it - if your cruise is to Alaska you clear US Customs as you enter the terminal so in theory once on board you are on US territory - to leave the ship you would have to then clear Canadian Customs and then reclear US Customs again - this has been discussed on some other threads.

If however you are heading south and not to Alaska it shouldn't be a problem as you don't normally clear US customs on southbound cruises.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

3:30 return would probably be too late and they probably wouldn't let you board. Do you want to risk missing the ship? If it were me, I wouldn't risk this.

As others suggested, either have an earlier appointment, I.e., no later than 11 a.m. or have it onboard....

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

If however you are heading south and not to Alaska it shouldn't be a problem as you don't normally clear US customs on southbound cruises.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Our cruise is on the Star Princess - Vancouver round trip to Hawaii.

I've done this with no problems - well, not the mani-pedi part, but a Costco run. (Case of Mr Big bars for friends at a port of call.) Stay to the left on the cruise level and you'll see a Crew/Transit Passengers line, and keep repeating "I'm reboarding the ship and already have my cruise card for this segment".

Given you're familiar with the city and you certainly don't have far to go, it's plausible to do as you suggest - but I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution with a bag drop at 10am, spa at 10:30, nice lunch in the city, then board after 2pm when it'll be quieter. You will need to go through CBP here, the Hawaii RTs do not stop in Victoria so first port of call is a US one just like with Alaska.

We also like to get on board in time for the Princess 'real' lunch but with the consistent decline in quality/range of the offerings and more pushback from Princess minions about the very existence of said lunch, let alone which dining room it's in, we just no longer find the extra queuing time worthwhile to get there by 12:30.

Last time we did just as I'm suggesting above, except that it was a nice couples massage for us instead of a mani-pedi, which was more than enough of a nice 'yay we're on vaycay!' feeling to outweigh the lack of an onboard lunch.

I don't need to fly in. I live 30 minutes from the city center. I was just looking for experiences and timing required in getting off the ship after check in.

I do agree with you that we have a beautiful city, thanks.

I've done this with no problems - well, not the mani-pedi part, but a Costco run. (Case of Mr Big bars for friends at a port of call.) Stay to the left on the cruise level and you'll see a Crew/Transit Passengers line, and keep repeating "I'm reboarding the ship and already have my cruise card for this segment".

That's really interesting that you can do it. I'm surprised.

We are flying in the day before but unfortunately do not get in until 10 pm. We would like to get a couple of bottles of wine to take on board so we are planning to get a taxi to the terminal, drop off luggage then walk to the liquor store, return to the terminal and proceed with the check in process. Hopefully it all should work out well. :)

Edited by Sunbreez

We are flying in the day before but unfortunately do not get in until 10 pm. We would like to get a couple of bottles of wine to take on board so we are planning to get a taxi to the terminal, drop off luggage then walk to the liquor store, return to the terminal and proceed with the check in process. Hopefully it all should work out well. :)

Quite feasible - you drop luggage as the very first step in the process, before going through the doors into the non-car-park part of the terminal. You'll have to walk the length of the car-park twice but it's not terribly inconvenient.

There's an alternative though - especially since you're arriving Domestic - the West Coast liquor store in the airport, It's open until 11pm every day. Doesn't have close to the range of even the Harbour Centre BCLS, but if you don't want anything obscure you might be able to acquire it there.

It's totally possible... Book your appointment for the time you want, get to the ship and see when you board, and judge from there... Re-boarding the ship is not a problem once you have your cruise card. Just as the other poster said stay to the left when you return to the ship and look for the crew/in transit passengers sign.

If there happens to be a delay with boarding/customs, you can always call the Spa Utopia and cancel. Have fun!!

Thought I would check back in to say I have decided to keep the start of my cruise stress free - Spa Utopia appointment at eleven, then board the ship. I will miss my MDR first day lunch ritual, but my fingers and toes will be happy!