Non-alcoholic drinks included in the UDP

jennybee

Hi, I was given the UDP free as part of my booking on NCL Star but I rarely drink alcohol. Please can anyone advise me on what's included in the package for non drinkers?

My husband likes a drink or 3 so his needs are covered nicely.

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer

My sister has had the UBP twice on her cruises on NCL. Both times she said it was amazing because she could order what she wanted whether it be soda, coffee, cocktails and not worry about finishing or liking it. She said that everything is included except for top shelf. She said when you go to a bar look at the very top top shelf of the liquor and that's what your not allowed to have on the UBP. But even really expensive stuff like makers mark and other bourbons were still included!

If she was ordering coffee on the UBP then she really got away with it, unless she meant the Irish coffee, which is dealt with as a cocktail.

Speciality coffees (latte, cuppucinos etc) are not included with the UBP.

Edited by KeithJenner

Non-alcoholic drinks that we enjoyed recently:

- juices (except the "fresh squeezed" OJ) -- Apple, orange, cranberry, grapefruit, pineapple, tomato or any combination of these. Not all bars have all juice options, so just ask. Generally speaking, if something is offered as a mixer for a cocktail, you can probably get it without alcohol. For example, you may be able to get coconut water, if it is served as a mixer for some cocktails. When in doubt, just ask.

- Lemonade and iced tea are free for everyone, not just those with UBP. Available in the buffet or dining rooms, though you may be able to get it elsewhere as well.

- Coffee and teas and generally available around the ship (buffets, restaurants). In the MDR, you can also order a pot of tea in your choice of flavors.

- smoothies: a mango smoothie made with ice cream mix was a favorite. We also got strawberry smoothies or strawberry banana smoothies.

- ice cream drinks, like a vanilla smoothie or virgin mudslide.

- fountain sodas: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Sierra Mist, orange soda. You may also be able to get root beer, ginger ale or ginger beer, though we never tried to get these on their own. Just ask the bartender if it is included in the package or not. Very few things we asked for were not included.

- club soda and tonic water. I ordered club soda with muddled lime, muddled mint, or muddled fruit -- almost like a virgin Mojito, and very refreshing.

- Milk, almond milk and soy milk are also available to everyone onboard, though you may need to ask to get non-dairy milks in a dining room or buffet.

- the only things that are expressly excluded are bottled waters, canned sodas (including minibar beverages), energy drinks, and specialty coffees. Anything else on the ship -- especially if it is available as a cocktail mixer -- should be just fine.

Enjoy!

- juices (except the "fresh squeezed" OJ) -- Apple, orange, cranberry, grapefruit, pineapple, tomato or any combination of these. Not all bars have all juice options, so just ask. Generally speaking, if something is offered as a mixer for a cocktail, you can probably get it without alcohol. For example, you may be able to get coconut water, if it is served as a mixer for some cocktails. When in doubt, just ask.

- Lemonade and iced tea are free for everyone, not just those with UBP. Available in the buffet or dining rooms, though you may be able to get it elsewhere as well.

- Coffee and teas and generally available around the ship (buffets, restaurants). In the MDR, you can also order a pot of tea in your choice of flavors.

- smoothies: a mango smoothie made with ice cream mix was a favorite. We also got strawberry smoothies or strawberry banana smoothies.

- fountain sodas: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Sierra Mist, orange soda. You may also be able to get root beer, ginger ale or ginger beer, though we never tried to get these on their own. Just ask the bartender if it is included in the package or not. Very few things we asked for were not included.

- club soda and tonic water. I ordered club soda with muddled lime, muddled mint, or muddled fruit -- almost like a virgin Mojito, and very refreshing.

- Milk, almond milk and soy milk are also available to everyone onboard, though you may need to ask to get non-dairy milks in a dining room or buffet.

- the only things that are expressly excluded are bottled waters, canned sodas (including minibar beverages), energy drinks, and specialty coffees. Anything else on the ship -- especially if it is available as a cocktail mixer -- should be just fine.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the detailed list :)

I was particularly happy to be able to get seltzer (yes, seltzer, not club soda) at the bars --- part of their soda guns.
I'm not sure everyone makes the distinction. The stuff that comes out of the soda gun is carbonated tap water, whatever you prefer to call that.

In the dining room could I order a Cappuccino or a Hot Chocolate? I'm not sure what counts as a specialty coffee drink.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the hot chocolate from the coffee bar counts as a specialty coffee drink, so you have to pay extra for it. Cappuccino is definitely an extra charge. But if you order hot chocolate in the dining room they may bring you a packet of instant powder (or mix it up for you) and that should be free.

With the UBP are any dessert drinks in the main dining room available like baileys in coffee or coffee liquor.

Bailey's and coffee liqueurs are all included.

Enjoy!

Can you get smoothies at every bar or only at certain ones?

The Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

A sticker will be placed on your guest key card to identify that you have purchased this package.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 will receive an $15 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

Please note that rates are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line

Can you get smoothies at every bar or only at certain ones?

As long as the bar has a blender, you are probably good to get some sort of smoothie like drink.

Some bars carry different ingredients, though. For example, if we ordered a Moscow Mule at the pool bar, it was made with lime juice from a big bottle. If we ordered one from an inside bar, we would get freshly muddled lime. Big difference in taste!

Can you order a glass and a half of wine at dinner if it's under $15 under the UBP?
Officially, no, but it depends on the ship and the bartender and the customer… If you give them extra cash tips or if there is something else that they like about you, you can probably get a glass and a half and then some.

I was looking at the wine list on NCLs website. I noticed you can get a glass or a glass and a half according to the list. Can you order a glass and a half of wine at dinner if it's under $15 under the UBP?

You could just order a glass of wine two times.

What is absolutely ridiculous is that you can get an expensive can of beer with it but you can't get a cheap can of cola. You have to get a cup, half full of ice and half full of watered down and sometimes flat cola.

You can order it with no ice (DH often does so) and it still comes out cool. I've never had it come out flat.

You can order it with no ice (DH often does so) and it still comes out cool. I've never had it come out flat.

They pop open a can of cola to pour in your cup of ice. A cup doesn't usually hold the whole can and they leave it on the bar until the next person orders one. If you are that unlucky person who orders one and it has been sitting there for some time it will be flat and warm if you request no ice and watered down if you do get ice.