Tattoos on Staff

My DH and I just finished our second cruise and are sitting at the airport reflecting on our wonderful time and recalled the wait staff seemed to have the same tattoo on their hands (we noticed the same thing on our last cruise, 3 years ago). He thinks it is some sort of "branding" while I guessed it was more of team bonding. Anyone know?

My DH and I just finished our second cruise and are sitting at the airport reflecting on our wonderful time and recalled the wait staff seemed to have the same tattoo on their hands (we noticed the same thing on our last cruise, 3 years ago). He thinks it is some sort of "branding" while I guessed it was more of team bonding. Anyone know?

I do not know for sure but I see small tattoos on a lot of South Asian people,may be a religious thing?

I've seen tats on crew but not the hands.

We just got off Oasis and noticed the same thing on our MDR server, Luciano. It was faded in his hand and I didn't get a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our previous cruises we too have noticed similar tattoos on staff. I would be interested to know what they mean.

Just ask. Great conversation starter. Most people that have tattoos would not be offended sharing the story behind their tattoos.

Edited by davekathy

Just ask. Great conversation starter. Most people that have tattoos would not be offended sharing the story behind their tattoos.

Agreed. People don't get tattoos in obvious places unless they are willing to discuss them. Never noticed the ones the OP is referencing, but sounds like it could be an interesting story.

Catholics from the Goa region of India usually have a small cross tatooed on their hand near the thumb. Ask them about it. All our waiters on our recent cruise had them.

That's very interesting. I have noticed the cross on waiter's hands, just where you described. I don't know why i didn't think of the obvious rather than think it was some secret fraternity !!! Lol