Tour from Greenock

Peteymil

Discover Scotland tours has 2 cruise tours from Greenock. One is "Loch Lomond, stifling Castle, and the Trossachs" and the other is "Highland Lochs, Glen's, and Castles", which includes Inveraray Castle. Has anyone done either tour or have an opinion as to which would be better?

Discover Scotland tours has 2 cruise tours from Greenock. One is "Loch Lomond, stifling Castle, and the Trossachs" and the other is "Highland Lochs, Glen's, and Castles", which includes Inveraray Castle. Has anyone done either tour or have an opinion as to which would be better?

We took the second option ( with Inverary Castle). It was a wonderful day and we enjoyed it very much. Inverary Castle is quite lovely.

This review includes comments about the tour with photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891991

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Peteymill

Inveraray Castle is a large Country House, while Stirling Castle is a proper military Castle with an older history than Inverary it will depend on what type of Castle you are interested in.

Both areas are very nice to see, have a very enjoyable visit to Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Peteymill

Inveraray Castle is a large Country House, while Stirling Castle is a proper military Castle with an older history than Inverary it will depend on what type of Castle you are interested in.

Both areas are very nice to see, have a very enjoyable visit to Scotland.

To be honest, I am more interested in the scenery than the castles. I'm not sure which would be more scenic, Loch Lomand & the Trossachs, or Highland Lochs & Glen's . Any opinion?

Hello Again Peteymill

The scenery on both of the tours is excellent and as you are not really interested in the Castles either tour would suit you Inverary is a small town situated on the banks of Loch Fyne a large sea loch(Fiord) and the surrounding area is beautiful on a good day but can be a bit "driech" if it's raining.

Stirling is a larger town situated near to the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, Loch Lomond is an inland fresh water loch and in fact supplies a large area of the West Of Scotland with drinking water, there are a number of smaller Lochs within the National Park Area that are very scenic, if the Trossachs Tour takes in Loch Katrine you can take a short trip on the SS Sir Walter Scott which is one of our historic ships still in public service and again Loch Katrine is the main source of drinking water for the City Of Glasgow.

Both areas are important in Scottish history and it is really your choice as to which you would like.

I have no doubt you will enjoy our beautiful countryside whichever tour you decide to take, I personally like visting both areas even thow I have been there many times before.

A tip for you take some insect repellent with you as both areas can suffer from the Scottish Midgie which is our version of the mosquito its bite will do you no harm but it can be annoying.

Any other questions just ask and I will be pleased to help if I can.

Do enjoy your trip.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

To be honest, I am more interested in the scenery than the castles. I'm not sure which would be more scenic, Loch Lomand & the Trossachs, or Highland Lochs & Glen's . Any opinion?

Hi

We also are,interested in the countryside but if we run across a castle or two we would also be interested seeing one.

Dan

PoppyandNana

You would enjoy Stirling Castle it is a proper military fortification dating back to the days of Sir William Wallace and Robert the Bruce and is steeped in the history of Scotland.

It is still the regimental home of and houses the regimental museum of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders a famous British Army Regiment and now a battalion of the Royal Regiment Of Scotland.

It is very similar to the famous Edinburgh Castle but a bit smaller.

Both are worth seeing if visiting Scotland.

• 3 months later...

I am considering one of these tours instead of going to Edinburgh....my only concern is how curvy and hilly the roads will be...I am prone to motion sickness and always drive to avoid it...any insight would be appreciated.

Hi Macaroni

Both areas in which theses tours take place are not particularly hilly but there will be some twisty roads, but I would imagine the tour vehicle will be travelling at a moderate speed to allow the passengers to enjoy the scenery.

Just try to get a good seat neither at the rear of the vehicle or above the wheels.

Hi Macaroni

Both areas in which theses tours take place are not particularly hilly but there will be some twisty roads, but I would imagine the tour vehicle will be travelling at a moderate speed to allow the passengers to enjoy the scenery.

Just try to get a good seat neither at the rear of the vehicle or above the wheels.

We went to Stirling on a day trip from Edinburgh some years back, it is undoubtedly one of the finest castles in Scotland, would highly recommend this tour.

Sanjam cruisers, can you suggest any distillery we could visit from Greenock? That's what DH and my brother would like to do, maybe we could stop for a bit at Glasgow too, how would that work? Would appreciatel your suggestions, thanks:)

Edited by prish

Hi Prish

There are two distilleries within reasonably travelling distance of Greenock Auchentoshan and Glengoyne, there is one other Deanston, but this is by prior appointment only.

I know a a small tour company which may be suitable to you, I will get their contact address and let you know within a few hours.

I am a retired Police Officer and the company I wish to put you in touch with is owned by a former Colleague.

Hi Prish

Here are the contact details for my friends company.

07786077996, email:- andrewbhm@aol.com.

I am quite sure he will get you a tour to your liking.

Have a great cruise and I hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland.

Sanjam cruisers, thank you ever so much, will send your friend an email. Someone did suggest Auchentoshan to me, I also hear there are a couple of places in the Pitlochry area, would that be feasible? Thanks again, Prish

Visiting Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and the surrounding countryside was just dreamy - it's got such a mystical, ethereal looking landscape like no other I've ever seen so far, including even South Island, NZ (absolutely gorgeous!) there's just no place that looks like the Scottish Highlands.

Our tour even stopped to commune with Highland Cattle in a pen along the road, there were gorgeous white ponies too in another place...couldn't have been more glorious in addition to all of the wondrous history one takes in at the Castle. It is possible to view the William Wallace from afar at Stirling Castle - it was placed quite a distance from the castle deliberately so as to pay tribute to Wallace in the appropriate place BUT without drawing attention to the memorial (English attention ;) ) and keep it preserved, protected. It's visible!

We had a great hike up to a great vista over the Loch that was just spectacular. Dress in layers so that you can cool off as you climb (if you do) or hike - you'll generate body heat.

I took a tour up from Edinburgh as I was visiting for a bit of an extended stay - had to see the Royal Mile, the Castle, the newer side of the city etc. If you can, do it. Ride up from Edinburgh was in a comfortable Mercedes van very well handled by our driver - (it was Rabbies Tours in Edinburgh, they ROCKED it) and indeed, a few of the roads are tight but more than aptly handled...they know what they are doing, as do the oncoming drivers. It wasn't the twist of the roads or the speed - it was more that they are just narrow roads but that only matters for the drivers who KNEW the roads and drove like pros. Most importantly - again - the scenery was SPECTACULAR :D and so the thrill was more about seeing what was beyond the roads.

I cannot even remember where we stopped to eat lunch it was such an amazing day :)

Have a great time in Scotland - it's enchanting.

On either tour you will see lots of scenery. The 'Rest and be Thankful' road to Inverary is particularly spectacular. Inverary also has a great whisky shop.

Never been to the castle as we usually go there at Christmas time when it is closed.

For distilleries, Glengoyne is one of my favourites. A very small producer in an idyllic setting. Auchentoshan is more of an industrial set up on the banks of the Clyde just outside Glasgow, nice whisky though!

Edradour is near Pitlochry, but its a distance from Greenock. I've visited many times and whilst still being small and also in a spectacular setting, it has become more commercial over the last few years.

Hi

We also are,interested in the countryside but if we run across a castle or two we would also be interested seeing one.

Dan

Dan,

I believe you are on our sailing on the Silhouette July 13, 2016. Would you be interested in an excursion out of Greenock:

Clyde Coast Tourism has 1 private tour left on this date and they recommend doing an Inveraray and Glencoe Shore excursion. You can see the banks of Loch Fyne, see Inveraray Castle, the ruins of Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe and then basque in the glory that is the majestic scenery at Glencoe.

Our prices are:

£380 for up to 4 persons OR

£480 for up to 8 persons

These both include bottled water and snacks however they exclude any entrance fees such as Inveraray Castle

Catriona Stevenson

Director

Clyde Coast Tourism

http://clydecoasttourism.co.uk/blog-...t-tourism.html

Please email me ASAP: Challahmom@aol.com if you are interested

The excursion can accommodate 2-6 people

Joanne & Jacob

Prish

Pitlochry has Edradour Distillary but it is at least a two hour drive depending on traffic. The A9 Road is very busy during the summer months and is prone to road accidents due to the large amount of tourist traffic personally I would not consider it.

Glengoyne is a very nice Distillary in a beautiful country setting and the tour takes some time(there are different tours you can do at this Distillary), and is well within reasonable travel time from Greenock as is Auchentoshan which is in the town of Clydebank.

I also mention Deanston Distillary which is in the village of Doune which is near Stirling and is again with easy travel time/Distance, Google all three and you will get all the info you require.

Prish

Pitlochry has Edradour Distillary but it is at least a two hour drive depending on traffic. The A9 Road is very busy during the summer months and is prone to road accidents due to the large amount of tourist traffic personally I would not consider it.

Glengoyne is a very nice Distillary in a beautiful country setting and the tour takes some time(there are different tours you can do at this Distillary), and is well within reasonable travel time from Greenock as is Auchentoshan which is in the town of Clydebank.

I also mention Deanston Distillary which is in the village of Doune which is near Stirling and is again with easy travel time/Distance, Google all three and you will get all the info you require.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Glengoyne it is! Sanjam cruisers, will email your friend this weekend to try and set up a tour, thanks again:)

Hi Prish

Quite sure you will enjoy Glengoyne, just for your info there is a very nice Pub/Restaurant just along the road from the Distillary it is called the "Beachtree"

I would recommend it for a nice lunch or snack prior to returning to the ship.

Do enjoy your visit to Scotland.