Going to New Caledonia without Visa

nix1016

Hi All,

I'm a first time cruiser going in March to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with Royal Caribbean. I'm going with a few friends who are Chinese nationals living in Australia holding Chinese passports. I've had a look and it seems that a visa is required for New Caledonia and the processing time is 4-5 weeks which is really cutting it now.

I did a bit of research online and it seems that most people who went claimed that they don't check your passport (https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT...a-Cruises.html), but this was with other cruise lines.

I'm not sure how strict RCI is with allowing boarding without a visa? The french embassy of Australia website (http://www.ambafrance-au.org/New-Caledonia-and-French-Polynesia) mentions that no visa is needed if you're not getting off the ship, but my worry is with RCI as they can deny boarding without visa. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Thanks!

Not sure what you want the good folks here on cc to tell you.

I would be checking directly with both RC office in Sydney & also with the French consulate to ensure your travelling companions docs are all in order. Did you use a TA, as they should have helped with this, at least identifying the need for visas.

Checking of your passport on embarkation is done by the check-in staff & likely this will be the point where the problem will be identified. At most ports of call, the local authorities do not check passports when getting off the ship - this is all pre-done.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply. They did book through a TA who said that they would need visas regardless of whether they're staying on the ship or not at New Caledonia or their boarding may be denied. I called up RCI on the 1800 number and the rep said the same thing. However, when I mentioned that the french consulate website mentions that no visa is required if staying onboard the vessel, he said to bring that statement with us when boarding and it should be ok.

I guess my question is whether anyone's experienced this in the past and if so, whether they were able to board successfully or not? At this point we're just worried about boarding the ship and not really about visiting New Caledonia...

I guess my question is whether anyone's experienced this in the past and if so, whether they were able to board successfully or not? At this point we're just worried about boarding the ship and not really about visiting New Caledonia...

That would be my concern also. I'm not sure the intention of getting of the ship or not makes a difference.

To me it is possibly like an airline not letting you board without the correct visa. And unless they put something on your sailpass that will catch you on the gangway in eg Noumea, there would be no way to stop your friends getting off, and back on again I guess :eek: So there must be some formal check before getting on??

Maybe you should try posting on the Australian/New Zealand board - there are a couple of friendly folk on there who do check-in for RC & Celebrity.

Hope it all works out.

I think the lesson here, regardless of outcome is to follow the advice of your travel agent. It's why you're paying them.

Hopefully it all works out, but your friends have certainly cut it close. I would be losing sleep at this point.