Where does the Ferry drop off in St. George?

JRA1708

We are doing a private tour this coming may 2016. We are leaving from the Dockyard, and will end up in St. George. We plan to have our tour guide drop us off at Tobacco Bay, spend a couple hours swimming and snorkeling, then taking the ferry back to the ship. Can we walk to the ferry terminal? I thought the ferry drop off and pick up was in st. Cathrines? But I have looked at maps and it looks like its in St. George Harbor? East of Kings Square? If thats the case...looks like a hike? Pointers please...thanks.

Jodi

You are correct when you say that the ferry pickup is east of St. George. From Tobacco Bay back to King's Square is about at 15-20 minute walk if you step right along and it is not a difficult walk. From Kings Square to the Ferry dock is about another 15 minute walk. I would plan on about 45 minutes to get back to the Ferry dock. Be careful though, if there is a long line you may not make it onto that Ferry because it is already filled. St. George is a great place to see but you have to plan accordingly to make sure you are back at the ship on time if it is leaving that day. If the ship is staying overnight on your St. George day, you may end up taking a taxi or the bus back to the Dockyard if the last Ferry is full.

You are correct when you say that the ferry pickup is east of St. George. From Tobacco Bay back to King's Square is about at 15-20 minute walk if you step right along and it is not a difficult walk. From Kings Square to the Ferry dock is about another 15 minute walk. .......

Must be a typo, the walk from King's Square to the ferry dock is about 2-3 minutes.

SBtS

Thank you Flowers44, do you know about what time the last ferry runs?

If you don't mind my jumping in, the 2016 summer ferry schedule won't be published until early April, so there's no way to know right now.

In the past the schedule has differed by day of the week, and there has been no ferry service at all to and from St. George's on Saturday and Sunday in recent years. In 2015 the last ferry departed St. George's at 5:30 on M, W and Th, and at 2:15 pm on Tu and F.

Not a typo. The ferry dock was moved to Pennos Wharf a couple of years ago so 10 minutes is about right.

You all must be slow walkers :) It only takes me about five minutes from Penno's Wharf. I can't imagine 15 to 20 minutes unless they are taking that wrong turn up the hill.

Edited by Charles4515

You all must be slow walkers :) It only takes me about five minutes from Penno's Wharf. I can't imagine 15 to 20 minutes unless they are taking that wrong turn up the hill.

Yeah...well the post I was replying to said 2 to 3 minutes and that is definitely no longer the case. I said 10, which is about right for the older, slower me. And although experienced visitors know how to do the walk without schlepping up the hill, if you watch the people getting off the ferry you'll see a high percentage going up the hill because it's the obvious route. Taking the shortest route looks to an inexperienced person like you're going someplace you shouldn't.

Thanks for the responses.

Is it possible to get a taxi from Tobacco bay to the ferry terminal? Are they readily available? Or should I have a phone # handy so I can call one?

It's possible, but there's no guarantee that taxis will be waiting there at the precise time you need one. I suspect the people who operate the beach's concessions will help you by calling a taxi if you ask them.