DIAMOND - FORWARD CABINS

JimmyJ

We've been confirmed on B100 for our Alaska trip in June. According to the deck plan it is facing forward. My TA says that this is new to any ships she knows about. Anyone been on the Diamond on either B or C Deck in cabins 100-105? It looks like a balcony, but TA says it's only a window? Would surely appreciate information!

JimmyJ

6/10/01 Grand

4/27/02 Golden

4/13/03 Coral

6/19/04 Diamond

Yacht-04.gif

DIAMOND PRINCESS - JUNE 19, 2004 - ALASKA

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;19;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

I believe those are the ones that a Princess rep told me are locked balcony doors when the ship is underway because of the winds that are created. She said BB or BD, can't remember which one, but it looks like it might be those BB rooms. She did say the rooms faced forward.

Thanks FredS - appreciate your time! Guess I'll find out next month (grin)

6/10/01 Grand

4/27/02 Golden

4/13/03 Coral

6/19/04 Diamond

Yacht-04.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;19;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

At what approximate room #'s are the balconys unlocked? I'm in B255 and know it'll be open, just wondering how close I'll be to the big breeze!

Originally posted by FredS:

I believe those are the ones that a Princess rep told me are locked balcony doors when the ship is underway because of the winds that are created.QUOTE]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My TA says that this is new to any ships she knows about. Anyone been on the Diamond on either B or C Deck in cabins 100-105? It looks like a balcony, but TA says it's only a window? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is not good news.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

We just got off the Diamond and had A200 and the doors were unlocked. Did not find anyone that had their doors locked. With 2600 people did not get around to asking everyone. We ere in a BC about the second or third cabin from the bow but on the side.

I believe these cabins have balconies but Princess realized during sea trials that there is too much wind - so they reclassified them as CC cabins (if memory serves me) which is the same category as "window cabins".

Someone reported that they could not have the doors open when the ship was moving but when the ship docked, they could open them. Hopefully someone will report back again on this.

My understanding is that this only impacts the cabins right on the front of the ship. So that would be B100 - C105, C100 - C105. The Princess website is still showing these a category BB but I also heard that they were reclassified as CC due to the inability to open the balcony door while at sea.

I also wish there was someone with first hand experience that could provide the real scoop. Right now it looks like JimmyJ will become our expert after his cruise in June.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Yup, the forward-facing standard cabins on Baja and Caribe have been reclassified as BCs

<font face="Imprint MT Shadow" size="5" color="#FFCC00">Amber</font>

<font size="4" face="Berlin Sans FB">Cruise Resource

BiddingFun and BiddingHELP</font>

Well, thanks for all the contributions! I'm having fun calling Princess every couple of days (just to say HI) and to ask about the cabins. Ain't had the same answer from the call center people yet! I'll definitely report back... leaving on June 19th.

JimmyJ

6/10/01 Grand

4/27/02 Golden

4/13/03 Coral

6/19/04 Diamond

Yacht-04.gif

We met friends on Diamond's inaugural cruise 3/13, who were in those very front cabins that have now been re-classified. Since they weren't informed about the sliding glass door being closed because of high winds, once aboard, they kicked and screamed, and spoke to everyone who would listen, until it was decided the sliding door could be open when the ship was in port. Perhaps you can ask for the same. Our friends told us that at no time did any of the balcony furniture blow away, which was a major concern during sea trials.

Sandy

Sounds like an economical alternative to a balcony cabin for a 'port intensive' cruise! Y

Up next - Pacific NorthWest Coastal!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Navigator of the Seas - 01/05

Dawn Princess - 10/04

Grand Princess - 11/04 (Cancelled)

Grand Princess - 10/04 (Cancelled)

Island Princess - 05/04

Grand Princess - 10/03

Norway - 10/03 (Cancelled)

Wind Surf - Transatlantic 4/02

• 10 months later...

We were on the inaugural cruise of Diamond last March and were in the forward facing cabin with a balcony door that was locked whenever the ship was moving. After much complaining, phone calls, meetings and letter writing Princess gave us a free upgrade to a balcony.

We just returned the other day from our wonderful 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess on our balcony which we thoroughly enjoyed!

We were lucky enough to watch the Diamond set sail next to us before we left. My understanding is the cabins in the forward area of the ship with balconies are "ocean view" rooms.

Happy Cruising!

I am so glad to read this post and learn of the reclassification of the forward balcony cabin. We have a BB guarantee booked on Diamond and I was so afraid we would get one of these. JimmyJ you will be able to ease our concerns. Thanks.

Hi all, we were on Sapphire last October and sailing with some friends of ours who were in B104 which is classified as a premium suite (I am sure they would tell you about this themselves but they are soon on their way to Carson City, Nevada to spend some time with slot machines)

Anyhow, if you look at a deckplan you will see that their balcony wrapped around from the port side to the bow. Next to that balcony are the cabins facing front. On that cruise not only were all the front facing doors locked but their balcony had a divider from the side to the bow and that divider door was locked when we were at sea. When we were underway even the side that was open was very very windy.

Hi Karen!

Archived