What happened to the free drinks?

EBFURR

I have been meaning to post this since June, but forgot. On our 7 day WC on the Mariner, we had to skip Grand Cayman because of the first tropical storm of the season (Arlene, I think?). Captain Johnny did a great job of steering us around the storm and by mid afternoon the skies were sunny. Overall, it was a very pleasant and relaxing day at sea and we did not miss the port that much.

I had read on CC that when a port is missed due to bad weather, the Captain or CD traditionally announces an open bar for a couple of hours to ease the pain. I kept waiting for the announcement, but it never came. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I am "owed" this, I am just curious as to why it did not happen and if RCCL has stopped the policy (practice?).:confused:

Has anyone else that missed ports this season had an open bar?

We also missed Grand Cayman on Explorer when we cruised Jan 04.

yes they did open the bar, but only the pool bars, and only certain drinks. The fruit punch with rum and one other. The lines were so long you had to order more than one or you would never have gooten a refill.

Also, ever wonder what happened to the port fees that were not used?

When we were on Carnival Miracle, jan o5, we also missed Grand Cayman and they refunded everyone a $20.00 credit. That still falls short of the prt fees we paid, but at least it is more than a watered down drink.

We’ve frequently missed ports (especially in the Caribbean) and have never received anything, not even a free drink. Most travelers should understand the Captain may have to alter the cruise for passenger safety and should not expect anything.

It does seem to me that the activities are stepped up, only a bit, on these “surprise” sea days. I would like to see more activities scheduled on these unexpected sea days.

Marci

we sailed on the enchanment last year..the cruise that the barge struck our just docked ship in Key West...there were a few things RCL could have handled better..not a free drink. We just sailed on the serenade of the seas to alaska...spent $5500 for 2 cabins and were dissapointed to discover that at both the repeaters party and the captains cocktail party the only free drink was champagne. Like you said not a deal breaker but some little things are starting to add up....

We missed CocoCay on the Majesty once due to rough seas and several bars and lounges served complimentray screwdrivers, bloody marys, or cokes, for a couple of hours to ease the pain. They were strong drinks too.:D It wasn't necessary because the contract does state that itineraries can change, but it was a nice surprise when the announcment was made that drinks would be served. IMHO, it was a great PR move although a small cabin credit instead would have been appreciated by all passengers instead of just those that enjoyed the drinks.

We missed Coco Cay on our first cruise -- too rough to tender in to the island. The captain set sail for Key West and made a number of different free drinks available. We sat up next to the pool in the 20 knot cross wind with goosebumps the size of golf balls, writing our Christmas cards to everyone -- the free drinks were a nice treat (and took the edge off of the wind chill :D ).

Archived