Just rec'd an email from the Upsell dept.

Maddysdaddy

They are offering my family the 'opportunity' to move from an M6 to a Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony for only $1000 pp or to a Haven Spa Suite with Balcony for only $1500 pp.

I assume this wouldn't be at the $1.11 Cdn/USD rate I booked the cruise at fourteen months ago, so it would cost me about $4500/$6500 Cdn on top of what I have already paid, in order to change cabins.

How is more than doubling the cost of my cruise - to use the words from the email - "an exciting opportunity upgrade your current stateroom"? (hey NCL - might want to proofread your emails - I think you're missing a "to")

Other than the private restaurant, and a tiny and (maybe) less busy pool, what am I missing about the Haven that would justify this extra cost? I'm not being snarky - we've just never sailed NCL before, so I have no idea if this is the greatest offer in the history of cruising and I'd be a fool not to snap it up.

They are offering my family the 'opportunity' to move from an M6 to a Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony for only $1000 pp or to a Haven Spa Suite with Balcony for only $1500 pp.

I assume this wouldn't be at the $1.11 Cdn/USD rate I booked the cruise at fourteen months ago, so it would cost me about $4500/$6500 Cdn on top of what I have already paid, in order to change cabins.

How is more than doubling the cost of my cruise - to use the words from the email - "an exciting opportunity upgrade your current stateroom"? (hey NCL - might want to proofread your emails - I think you're missing a "to")

Other than the private restaurant, and a tiny and (maybe) less busy pool, what am I missing about the Haven that would justify this extra cost? I'm not being snarky - we've just never sailed NCL before, so I have no idea if this is the greatest offer in the history of cruising and I'd be a fool not to snap it up.

IMHO that is not a good deal at all. Now, if they offer it to your family for 700-1370 CDN TOTAL, then I would consider it.

You have listed the big perks. Also things like priority embarkation, disembarkation and tendering, room service at no additional charge, free movies, and a lot of other niceties.

With that said it also depends on a few things like which ship and for how long. If you're sailing for a lot longer than seven days then it might be worth it.

Edit 1: I just looked at your signature. I assume it's the Epic and a seven day cruise.

Edit 2: Wow. I just looked at Epic prices and they are Epic! I had no idea. That makes me change my thoughts a little. If I REALLY wanted a Haven suite I might pay up to 2000 CDN total more, depending on how much I paid for my original stateroom. Again, JMO. DH and I will be in the Haven on the Jade and our total was less than the Epic is charging for one person double occupancy!

Edited by kosweeps

I believe you only have to pay the extra for the first two people booked in the room, not on the third and fourth person in the room.

I also think that is correct. For me, the butler, the private pool, the private restaurant, the private hot tubs, steam room, sauna, small gym, daily snacks from the butler, free movies, free room service, and special treatment make it worth it to me if I can justify the price they quote. Ive sailed in everything from an inside to a 2 bedroom suite, and have a 2 bedroom suite coming up on the Epic in April. There is a world of difference (and there should be for the price differential) especially on a big crowded ship -- it is a private Haven that isn't overcrowded and to which you can escape for peace and quiet.

Terry

If you booked your trip in Canadian $$ then that's the currency they quoted you. The 'per person' price only applies to the first 2 people in the room. The price is negotiable, it's worth calling to see what they could offer. We booked in CAD $$ and got upsold to the Haven, and never regretted it for a second.

Edited by Sharkdog

Just to be clear, the email did say:

We would like to offer you an exciting opportunity upgrade your current stateroom to a Haven Suite for an additional $1000 - $1500 per passenger (based on double occupancy in USD).

So just confirming that the offer is in USD and not Cdn, and we are on a 7 day cruise on the Escape.

If you booked your trip in Canadian $$ then that's the currency they quoted you. The 'per person' price only applies to the first 2 people in the room. The price is negotiable, it's worth calling to see what they could offer. We booked in CAD $$ and got upsold to the Haven, and never regretted it for a second.

I keep calling and they are saying the price is not negotiable, and I have to wait for it to go down more. Is there some secret to this?

Just to be clear, the email did say:

We would like to offer you an exciting opportunity upgrade your current stateroom to a Haven Suite for an additional $1000 - $1500 per passenger (based on double occupancy in USD).

So just confirming that the offer is in USD and not Cdn, and we are on a 7 day cruise on the Escape.

I think you should call NCL and ask them precisely what they mean. You may even get a better offer by doing so. Only then can you decide if this is a good deal or a bad one.

Are they are offering you the Deluxe Haven Spa Balcony or just the Haven Spa Balcony? If you have more than 2 in your cabin, you would need the Deluxe to have an extra bed. The regular Haven Spa Balcony doesn't have one.

However, if it does work for you, in addition to the Haven perks, you get thermal spa access and there is a jacuzzi in your room. It's really nice, but maybe not double the price nice.

Call them. It's usually only the first two passengers they charge for when paying for an upsell it may not be as much as you think.

for haven there are no service fees. or so i thought.

There are no service fees if you book into haven initially, under the current promo. An upsell to the haven is a different story. It is my understanding that the promo you received at the time of booking remains the same. So, if you selected the UBP and paid the service fees on it, that remains the same. You are not eligible for the haven promos with an upsell.

The secret is they become more willing to negotiate the closer it gets to the cruise if the rooms aren't selling.

I'm hoping that day is tomorrow! :) 23 days out. Last Friday they sent out the first email, then Monday another with a reduced amount, so hopefully tomorrow they hit my target price.

Do you know if you book in cdn, will the upsell be in cdn? I only ask because one upsell rep said yes but it sounded like she wasn't sure and the other said in usd buy she too wasn't 100% sure...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ran it by my wife, and her response ranged between "no" and "hell no".

She made the point that we already have a mini-suite with a large balcony, so we have a quiet place to sit outside if there is too much commotion on deck. She also pointed out that based on our past cruises, all we ever do in the room is sleep and shower, so it makes no sense to pay for an upgrade to a "better" room.

I have a very smart wife.

Do you know if you book in cdn, will the upsell be in cdn? I only ask because one upsell rep said yes but it sounded like she wasn't sure and the other said in usd buy she too wasn't 100% sure...

I paid in CDN, but the email from NCL clearly said that the cost of the upgrade would be in USD.

Hmmmmmm. .. I called in today and asked if the rate they quoted me was cdn or usd...they said it made no difference... if you paid in cdn the rate was cdn, if you paid in usd the rate was usd.

Since there was only 2 rooms left I just booked it and I'll see what my credit card has to say soon

Edited by xcell