Really Annoyed with NCL

MsTabbyKats

I am also sorry you are ill and cannot travel. I am mystified by your logic that cancellation policies should be revised if one is cancelling due to illness under the proposition that offering refunds for persons so cancelling is for the "greater good" of not exposing others to communicable illness.

What a can of worms that would open. Which is exactly why no such "exception" exists anywhere in the travel industry.

I hope you feel better soon.

My logic is one of a naive person, who thinks everyone does the right thing for "the greater good".

When we were on an MSC cruise a year ago, DH embarked healthy and disembarked sick. This totally ruined the rest of our (land based) vacation in Florida. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.

So, as long as people figure out how to work the system, insurance. No exceptions.

I am also sorry you are ill and cannot travel. I am mystified by your logic that cancellation policies should be revised if one is cancelling due to illness under the proposition that offering refunds for persons so cancelling is for the "greater good" of not exposing others to communicable illness.

What a can of worms that would open. Which is exactly why no such "exception" exists anywhere in the travel industry.

I hope you feel better soon.

I think the O.P's logic is being taken over by not feeling well lately and frustration over not being able to cruise. Sort of understandable, even if I don't agree with her.

They can build massive ships that don't sink in storms, but they can't figure out how to avoid double dipping?
It's not just double dipping. Making an exception for cancellation due to contagious illness would basically amount to saying there is no longer any cancellation policy.
And thus, MrAverageJoe, instead of losing his $2500 goes on the cruise and makes hundreds of people sick.
Even if you offered to refund him the $2500 to stay home, he might still decide he wants to go on that cruise (and take his family on that cruise). It's not just about the money. People don't want to give up their vacation.

Please take into consideration that Misstabbycats is usually very considerate of others, likely not feeling back to normal and is likely quite miserable about missing a long awaited cruise.

Be nice.

That would be your opinion, shes not very nice to me but that is neither here nor there. The cancellation policy is in place for her and everyone else, she had the option of purchasing insurance but did not and she is at the 100% cancellation period. She should just be happy to get the refund from her credit card.

All in all she only loses $225.00-$250.00 in total, $100 from her credit card plus either $125 to $150 on her FCC.

Much better then losing $2K-3K in total.

Please answer these questions;

1) do you own a car or house that you are making payments on?

2) do you have insurance on them?

3) did you ever have a claim?

4) you still had to make payments on them, even if they may have been unusable correct???

Insurance does not always make you 100% whole...

I owe $0 on anything, so I can't answer that question. But I do understand what you are asking....and insurance rarely makes you 100% whole.

Keep in mind, I am not complaining about losing the money. I really just thought it was weird that the FCC did not go back into inventory because it's really not being used.

This is not the first trip I had to cancel. I canceled one due to "stormy weather" where I lost everything I paid. But, it was better than sailing thru a hurricane. I never complained...it was my choice.

Keep in mind, I am not complaining about losing the money. I really just thought it was weird that the FCC did not go back into inventory because it's really not being used.

If your insurance refunds (all or part of) your FCC, then expecting the whole FCC to reappear in your account is double dipping. It really was used. You used it to pay for your cruise.

They can build massive ships that don't sink in storms, but they can't figure out how to avoid double dipping?

However, you're probably right. And I'm "MsGoodyTwoShoes"....who naively still thinks the rest of the world is honest too.

And thus, MrAverageJoe, instead of losing his $2500 goes on the cruise and makes hundreds of people sick.

Hey, look at those that worked the system with the Canadian dollar exchange rate. Those that want to work the system, will always find a way and, in this situation, if they don't use NCL's insurance, it would be really easy for them to do it.

I just don't understand the logic of someone being paid for the FCC by the insurance and then wants NCL to let them use it, too me that is double dipping at its best.

I just don't understand the logic of someone being paid for the FCC by the insurance and then wants NCL to let them use it, too me that is double dipping at its best.

When did I say I was going to "double dip"?

I paid $xxxx on 2/14. This price excluded the FCC. The credit card insurance will reimburse me for the 2/14 payment. They may or may not reimburse me for the FCC that I purchased in December. If the FCC was put back into my account I wouldn't bother telling them about the FCC.

So...don't read into things I never said. Only someone who "works the system" would assume someone else was trying to work the system.

When did I say I was going to "double dip"?

I paid $xxxx on 2/14. This price excluded the FCC. The credit card insurance will reimburse me for the 2/14 payment. They may or may not reimburse me for the FCC that I purchased in December. If the FCC was put back into my account I wouldn't bother telling them about the FCC.

So...don't read into things I never said. Only someone who "works the system" would assume someone else was trying to work the system.

You said: I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too). and then said: I really just thought it was weird that the FCC did not go back into inventory because it's really not being used. If you get reimbursed for it, then having it put back into your account is double dipping, IMHO. BTW, never said you were working the system, I said what you wanted was double dipping, as did another poster.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You said: I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too). and then said: I really just thought it was weird that the FCC did not go back into inventory because it's really not being used. If you get reimbursed for it, then having it put back into your account is double dipping, IMHO. BTW, never said you were working the system, I said what you wanted was double dipping.

There is some miscommunication here:

1. I was annoyed and surprised that NCL doesn't put the FCC back into inventory because it isn't used.

2. If they did...when I put the claim into my credit card it would just be for my 2/14 payment and the $100 cancellation penalty.

3. Since they don't put it back into inventory...I will also include the FCC credit I purchased in December. I don't know if they will reimburse me.

4. I never planned to "double dip". But, since the FCC was part of they payment, then the credit card insurance should cover this too.

5. It's just giving me more paper work...and it would have been easier if they put the FCC back into inventory.

Sorry if you misunderstood.

And now DH is showing symptoms and DS, who is coming to the city for 2 nights needs to stay in a hotel.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

I don't know how this sort of credit card insurance works, but it is obviously different from trip insurance, which is not based on what was actually charged to your credit card.

It seems to me that there will still be double dipping, if the credit card refunds the entire $xxxx amount from 2/14, because this includes taxes and fees (which NCL will refund), and possible choice promo service charges (for the UBP or SDP, which NCL will also refund). If all of this adds up to more than $250 I would probably let the FCC issue slide…

There is some miscommunication here:

1. I was annoyed and surprised that NCL doesn't put the FCC back into inventory because it isn't used.

2. If they did...when I put the claim into my credit card it would just be for my 2/14 payment and the $100 cancellation penalty.

3. Since they don't put it back into inventory...I will also include the FCC credit I purchased in December. I don't know if they will reimburse me.

4. I never planned to "double dip". But, since the FCC was part of they payment, then the credit card insurance should cover this too.

5. It's just giving me more paper work...and it would have been easier if they put the FCC back into inventory.

Sorry if you misunderstood.

And now DH is showing symptoms and DS, who is coming to the city for 2 nights needs to stay in a hotel.

Didn't misunderstand anything.

Hope you are feeling better soon, that flu is awful.

When I put in the claim it will show the fees being refunded by NCL. So, it won't be the entire 2/14 payment. I had wifi and excursion as promos...so no fees involved.

Believe me...there won't be double dipping.

My one and only issue was:

If you cancel the cruise you are not using the FCC...so it should go back into inventory. That's my logic.

To make it very clear....whatever my loss is...it won't affect my finances and my lifestyle. I really am more concerned with not get pneumonia and being in the middle of the ocean. Oh...and I did buy medical insurance, which included airlift.

Sorry about your cruise. If your husband is showing symptoms, it is important to get him to the doctor straight away so he can start on Tamiflu immediately. Wishing you both the best for a speedy recovery.

Yep...luckily the Urgent Care center is right across the street. He says he's ok...but he missed "the gym class" today....which is more of a sign that he's sick than his coughing.

LOL! I was told to "be nice" when I reacted to this statement... I basically did not understand the logic. Glad to see I was not the only one to have noticed!

The logic was: MrAverageJoe would go on the cruise so he wouldn't lose his money.

I was being sarcastic...and I had already canceled. When canceling I was told the FCC was gone.

I am just trying to be nice...to me, DH and the 4000 other people on the ship.

Others aren't so considerate.

Believe me...there won't be double dipping.

I believe you.

My one and only issue was:

If you cancel the cruise you are not using the FCC...so it should go back into inventory. That's my logic.

I understand your logic, but NCL's policy is even more logical: a CruiseNext deposit is a deposit. And there are unfortunately situations like yours where you lose your deposit. :(

Get well soon.

I believe you.

I understand your logic, but NCL's policy is even more logical: a CruiseNext deposit is a deposit. And there are unfortunately situations like yours where you lose your deposit. :(

Get well soon.

To make my life easier, I'll never buy a FCC again. Pay it all...at once...and simplify my accounting.

I don't want back one penny more than I am entitled to. The only reason I will bring this up to the credit card company is because I think I'm entitled, since it was a deposit.

So, I guess I should have gone on the cruise and infected everyone.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Yes, thats what you should have done, (sarcasm), what you really should have done is read the terms and conditions of your future cruise certificate (not sarcasm) and not be mad at NCL.

Additionally, we have cancelled before using a cruise certificate and insurance covered the entire cost, not sure what they should not here

I'm curious... what happens if you complete the health questionnaire honestly and state that you're ill? Are you denied boarding, or quarantined to your stateroom upon boarding? Or maybe it's at the discretion of the cruise line?

While I [fortunately] don't know the full/official answer to your question, I will share what happened at embarkation this past Saturday for Norwegian Escape (Terminal B) in Miami.

It was the first time I've ever been issued the medical form prior to going through security, but the gentleman explained that doing it early would make the process faster . . . and he was right.

But, his spiel while handing them out was rather questionable . . .

"Ladies and gentleman, please have this form filled out before you arrive at the desk. The answer to all questions is No. Again, the answer to every question must be No. Anything other than No will open Pandora's Box, and you really don't want to do that."

I don't think that's the best way for them to approach the purpose of the medical form in general, but figured it is what is is, and there's nothing I could personally do to change it.