Really Annoyed with NCL

MsTabbyKats

I don't understand what the big deal is. As long as the OP is made whole by her refund, why would anyone care what happens to the cabin after she cancels. If the cruise line resells it or gives it as a perk, good for them, that is what all businesses would do.

But the insurance company could have a very valid reason for not paying as she cancelled many many days before the trip....

Allowing for 2 things to potentially happen.....

1. She could have waited until the last minute and may have felt better

2. The insurance company may have expected her to wait and not cancel so far in advance as number 1 above may have occurred

You say any business would try to maximize profits and I agree.....but that goes for the insurance company as well as Ncl....only one wins and one loses in this scenario. Also any good business also tries to minimize losses.....so in that case if I were the adjuster....

I would clearly realize that the op in cancelling so early caused us...the insurance company....to possibly pay out when we may not have needed to....

As the adjuster I would recognize Ncl made out very well ...due to our payout to the pax who cancelled so far in advance allowing Ncl to resell the cabin

And finally.....As the adjuster I would not accept a doctors note dated so far in advance of the cruise....I would want a note dated....and a doctors visit to have been made 24 to 48 hours pre cruise not 96 plus hours pre cruise and possibly documented by a medical insurance claim for the visit as well as a doc note

From the adjusters point of view the cruise was cancelled too early

Yes I realize she is still saying she is not well today but that needs documentation dated perhaps a day or 2 before the cruise....not 5 days pre cruise.

That's good business from the insurance point of view

As far as Ncl is concerned....they are thrilled she freed up the cabin so early because as a frequent winter cruiser out of NYC....they resold it with no problem plus this week is the official beginning of college spring breaks.

Those are my thoughts, too. Do what you need to do and let the cruise line do whatever they want to do. I find it so odd that anyone would really be concerned with what any cruise line does with a cabin that is cancelled...if they can resell it, fine. If not, fine.

Except Ncl got paid 2x for the same cabin

The insurer may find this tidbit interesting and might not be thrilled with Ncl and could file a claim on them

Similar to auto insurance recovery

Edited by luvtheships

As far as Ncl is concerned....they are thrilled she freed up the cabin so early because as a frequent winter cruiser out of NYC....they resold it with no problem plus this week is the official beginning of college spring breaks.

This seems to be the sting with a few. As long as the OP is made whole, I'm not crying for the insurance companies who make billions and try very hard not to pay when issues arrive. Edited by NLH Arizona

This seems to be the sting with a few. As long as the OP is made whole, I'm not crying for the insurance companies who make billions and try very hard not to pay when issues arrive.

Lol. Well next time you feel Ncl is raising prices inappropriately just remember from time to time they come into a windfall such as selling the same cabin twice perhaps

Next time you complain about anything going up in any industry just ask yourself if the company that just billed you did everything they could to minimize fraud/losses/uncontrolled expenses etc etc.....and if the answer is yes then no problem

However the answer is probably no....unless of course in the situation here....the insurance company goes after Ncl for reimbursement....which they should...then bravo to the insurance company

Just ask yourself why you think it's ok for Ncl to be able to sell the same cabin 2x...

The cabin should sail empty if Ncl received payment from the insurance

If they sailed with that cabin occupied...then Ncl should not accept payment....nor should the insurance offer payment....and that may very well be the case here as we just do not know but regardless ...

This thread is food for thought and might make some recognize just how things should and should not work

Remember one does not need to have all the answers....one just needs to ask the right questions and while you may not like the questions asked, they certainly are valid.

And posters here are correct it is not really our concern....but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the questions asked here

But the insurance company could have a very valid reason for not paying as she cancelled many many days before the trip....

Allowing for 2 things to potentially happen.....

1. She could have waited until the last minute and may have felt better

2. The insurance company may have expected her to wait and not cancel so far in advance as number 1 above may have occurred

You say any business would try to maximize profits and I agree.....but that goes for the insurance company as well as Ncl....only one wins and one loses in this scenario. Also any good business also tries to minimize losses.....so in that case if I were the adjuster....

I would clearly realize that the op in cancelling so early caused us...the insurance company....to possibly pay out when we may not have needed to....

As the adjuster I would recognize Ncl made out very well ...due to our payout to the pax who cancelled so far in advance allowing Ncl to resell the cabin

And finally.....As the adjuster I would not accept a doctors note dated so far in advance of the cruise....I would want a note dated....and a doctors visit to have been made 24 to 48 hours pre cruise not 96 plus hours pre cruise and possibly documented by a medical insurance claim for the visit as well as a doc note

From the adjusters point of view the cruise was cancelled too early

Yes I realize she is still saying she is not well today but that needs documentation dated perhaps a day or 2 before the cruise....not 5 days pre cruise.

That's good business from the insurance point of view

You do recall that this is a CFAR policy? It doesn't matter why she cancelled or how far in advance she cancelled (as long as it was within the allowed period). At least I recall it being said it was a CFAR policy and if I am mistaken I apologize in advance.

Also, are you an adjuster? Unless the insurance company has an agreement with NCL, which I highly doubt, the insurance company would have no claim against NCL. Their contract is with the card company and thus by extension with the OP. They have no contract with NCL and thus no right of offset, unless there is one behind the scenes and that would be a completely different matter.

As NLH alluded to, an insurance company is obligated to avoid all invalid claims and pay all valid claims. Unfortunately, what the policy says is valid and invalid is not always what the policyholder/claimant thinks. Also, there are companies that are overly aggressive in trying to determine claims are invalid, to the point of being unethical and perhaps illegal.

If this is a CFAR policy, I recall it being said it is, then the company will pay the claim and move on. They aren't going to spend one second trying to determine if she really could cruise or if NCL can resell the cabin. Those are immaterial to the situation.

Are you really just discovering the concept of cancellation penalties today? The rest of us asked ourselves all of these questions a long time ago (and insurance companies are also fully aware of how these things work). If you suddenly find the policy unfair, stop agreeing to it (I don't think you will find any other cruise line that doesn't have a 100% penalty phase in the weeks before departure, and none of them pledges to leave your cabin empty if you cancel, so that they lose out on all of your onboard spending and DSC, etc.).

The OP says she booked on 2/14. But the time the OP cancelled, the prices had fallen another 60%. That is the sign of a ship with lots of empty cabins that are not moving.

I booked on 2/14 thru a TA. I paid $647 for an OX. By the time I canceled I think the price fell to $519 (or something like that). And I was watching the pricing for a while before booking.

This isn't 60%....but it's still a big difference. There were over 15 cabins each each category available. The ship was far from full.

BTW....Did I post a whiny thread about NCL needs to give me OBC because the price fell so much so fast? NO.

I'm truly sorry if the credit card company giving me a perk (that I could have bought for $100 independently) upsets people, but it's insurance and I did exactly what they told me to do. There's no fraud here and nothing for the insurance company to go after NCL.

I'm glad my life is so interesting to other people. Maybe someone should start a poll to decide if I'm deserving of a reimbursement. (SARCASM)

I booked on 2/14 thru a TA. I paid $647 for an OX. By the time I canceled I think the price fell to $519 (or something like that). And I was watching the pricing for a while before booking.
Oops, sorry, I was looking at the pricing for single occupancy. It looks like at about 10 days before sailing they waived the single supplement on this sailing (which is in itself another sign of a ship struggling to fill cabins).

Lol. Well next time you feel Ncl is raising prices inappropriately just remember from time to time they come into a windfall such as selling the same cabin twice perhaps

Next time you complain about anything going up in any industry just ask yourself if the company that just billed you did everything they could to minimize fraud/losses/uncontrolled expenses etc etc.....and if the answer is yes then no problem

However the answer is probably no....unless of course in the situation here....the insurance company goes after Ncl for reimbursement....which they should...then bravo to the insurance company

Just ask yourself why you think it's ok for Ncl to be able to sell the same cabin 2x...

If they sailed with that cabin occupied...then Ncl should not accept payment....nor should the insurance offer payment....and that may very well be the case here as we just do not know but regardless ...

This thread is food for thought and might make some recognize just how things should and should not work

Remember one does not need to have all the answers....one just needs to ask the right questions and while you may not like the questions asked, they certainly are valid.

And posters here are correct it is not really our concern....but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the questions asked here

I've never complained about the prices on my over 35 (probably more like 40+ now) cruises, as I understand prices go up.

The only complaint I have is that my insurance premiums go up and I've never used it.

I have no issue with NCL reselling the cabin and getting double the price, since the OP cancelled during the lose everything period and what NCL wants to do with the cabin is all their business, not mine.

How things should and should not work within your way of thinking as an employee of the insurance business, not mine as a consumer.

This isn't 60%....but it's still a big difference. There were over 15 cabins each each category available. The ship was far from full.

BTW....Did I post a whiny thread about NCL needs to give me OBC because the price fell so much so fast? NO.

I'm truly sorry if the credit card company giving me a perk (that I could have bought for $100 independently) upsets people, but it's insurance and I did exactly what they told me to do. There's no fraud here and nothing for the insurance company to go after NCL.

I'm glad my life is so interesting to other people. Maybe someone should start a poll to decide if I'm deserving of a reimbursement. (SARCASM)

MsTabbyKats, I don't think (and if one does, they shouldn't) anyone has an issue with you getting reimbursed from your credit card company, as they offer the insurance and it should be used when needed. BTW, I wish my credit card company had it, it would save me buying insurance.

The insurance company can't go after NCL for adhering to it's own contract between the OP and NCL. The insurance company was not a party to the contract. The insurance company is only working with the OP to offset her losses.

Just ask yourself why you think it's ok for Ncl to be able to sell the same cabin 2x... It just happened to have possibly worked out for them. OP cancelled, so the cabin should be available for sale

This is not logical.

The beneficiary of the insurance is the OP, not NCL. The insurance company is simply reimbursing some losses to the OP...not NCL. NCL, as far as we know, was only paid once for the cabin...by the OP.

I think you misread the events taking place. See above, in red. The insurance company is not giving additional money to NCL, they are only reimbursing some monies to the OP for her loss.

Thank you MsTabbyKats!! I just checked my credit card benefits and it also includes trip cancellation/interruption coverage up to $5K.

Per Chase, for their Signature cards:

Trip Cancellation/Interruption:

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

Lost Luggage:

If you or your immediate family members’ checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost by the carrier, you’re covered up to $3,000 per passenger.*

Travel Accident Coverage:

When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000.

I'm going to have to request a new benefits booklet for my card. Everyone should check theirs too. I would look very closely at any requirements, exclusions, and limitations.

At first glance, this may be a nice savings against cruise insurance for us on some trips.

Many people have some sort of travel protection with their credit cards, which they may be totally unaware of. Sometimes it's enough just to be a cardholder, you don't necessarily have to pay for the trip with that card to benefit from some coverage, so read the fine print for all of your cards, not just the ones you typically use. Sometimes the coverage extends to people traveling with you, whether or not you paid for their trip.

But what they say you get and what actually happens when you try to file a claim, could be a very different story…

Many people have some sort of travel protection with their credit cards, which they may be totally unaware of. Sometimes it's enough just to be a cardholder, you don't necessarily have to pay for the trip with that card to benefit from some coverage, so read the fine print for all of your cards, not just the ones you typically use. Sometimes the coverage extends to people traveling with you, whether or not you paid for their trip.

But what they say you get and what actually happens when you try to file a claim, could be a very different story…

Good point about the fine print and trying to get reimbursed. I'll follow this thread and hopefully MsTabbyCats will update us when she gets her refund check.

I will have Chase send me a benefits booklet if I can't find it online. I'm the info is buried on their website under my account under something like 'benefits contract' or 'explanation of benefits.'

For Chase, it appears the trip must be paid by using the Chase credit card.

Thank you MsTabbyKats!! I just checked my credit card benefits and it also includes trip cancellation/interruption coverage up to $5K.

Per Chase, for their Signature cards:

Trip Cancellation/Interruption:

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

Lost Luggage:

If you or your immediate family members’ checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost by the carrier, you’re covered up to $3,000 per passenger.*

Travel Accident Coverage:

When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000.

I'm going to have to request a new benefits booklet for my card. Everyone should check theirs too. I would look very closely at any requirements, exclusions, and limitations.

At first glance, this may be a nice savings against cruise insurance for us on some trips.

Only thing missing is medical and evac coverage which is a major reason to get coverage. So an additional policy might still be needed

Only thing missing is medical and evac coverage which is a major reason to get coverage. So an additional policy might still be needed

I haven't agreed with much you've said on this thread, but I definitely agree with this. That is the main reason to get travel insurance. The cost of the trip won't kill you, but lacking medical insurance while overseas may just result in your death.

The odds are very unlikely to ever need, thus the lost premium versus potential benefit, but it could literally be a life saver in some situations. Insurance is for situations where you cannot absorb the loss. I may be royally peeved, but I can financially absorb losing my cruise. I may not be able handle medical bills overseas and having to produce the money on the stop.

That's another good point. So, to be fully insured, we would still need medical/evac insurance. I wonder if that can be purchased separately, say a la carte?

I'll have to look at our other cards, to see how their benefits compare. Just as Hawkeyetlse mentioned fine print: With the Chase card, to get paid for lost luggage you must first file with your homeowners or renters insurance. If they don't pay it, THEN Chase will pay. However, I'd never claim luggage against my homeowners insurance, my rates would probably go up. :eek:

I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too).

And I was being totally sarcastic about "I should have gone..."

I'm just annoyed that since I really didn't use the FCC it wasn't put back in my account.

I'm 66 and never had the flu before. But, since I just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, the last thing I would want to do is feel crappy with a relapse, even if I had felt better by Sunday morning.

MsTabbyKats: Glad you are feeling better. My oldest daughter is just getting over the flu from last week and she still feels crappy at time. Even though she has been off the meds her body is still weak. I don't blame you at all for cancelling. I am sorry to hear that you lost the FCC. But glad the credit card insurance is kicking in. We have that for our CC also! Take care!

Except Ncl got paid 2x for the same cabin

The insurer may find this tidbit interesting and might not be thrilled with Ncl and could file a claim on them

Similar to auto insurance recovery

Do you think this is a big secret? If this were considered a problem, you may be sure the insurance companies would have fixed it by now. The insurance industry has more clout than the NRA!

I pay NCL. I cancel within the 100% penalty phase. NCL keeps my money. The insurer reimburses me. Even if NCL sells the cabin to someone else, NCL is not getting a dime from the insurance company, so why should they be bothered?

i wonder what percentage of cabins get sold twice. Who cares? Besides, it could make up for all the refunded service charges.

Also, should the insurer only pay out the cruise fare in effect at the time of cancellation? If I paid $2000, NCL could possibly resell that cabin for $1000 after final payment. There are so many variables.

I like answering polls.

Stephen

As it turns out, everybody was wrong.

NCL returned my "taxes" of $322.48 as follows:

I got $143.68 refunded to my credit card.

I got a FCC of $178.80 in my account (for next time!)

Needless to say...when I put in my insurance claim, it will not include either refund.

When I put in the claim it will show the fees being refunded by NCL. So, it won't be the entire 2/14 payment. I had wifi and excursion as promos...so no fees involved.

Believe me...there won't be double dipping.

My one and only issue was:

If you cancel the cruise you are not using the FCC...so it should go back into inventory. That's my logic.

To make it very clear....whatever my loss is...it won't affect my finances and my lifestyle. I really am more concerned with not get pneumonia and being in the middle of the ocean. Oh...and I did buy medical insurance, which included airlift.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on this one. You may not have gone on your cruise but you did "use" your FCC as a deposit on that cruise. It was your cruise deposit that you made on that cruise when you purchased it on a prior cruise. You applied that deposit to that cruise when you booked it, therefore you "used" it.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on this one. You may not have gone on your cruise but you did "use" your FCC as a deposit on that cruise. It was your cruise deposit that you made on that cruise when you purchased it on a prior cruise. You applied that deposit to that cruise when you booked it, therefore you "used" it.

Apparently NCL disagrees with you.

I got $178.80 refunded to me as a FCC.