Tipping in France

chefestelle

I don't want anyone to be rude to anyone at all. It's true there are many threads that start similar discussions but the search features on this app have no sophisticated filters. That means anyone who uses a tablet will get hundreds of unrelated threads to a search. So if the question irritates you, ignore the thread. Besides, customs change over time. I have been to Australia several times in the last sixteen years and it has gone from locals saying don't tip, to locals saying just round up, to locals saying 5 to 10%. Locals. Not Americans and Canadians. I've never been to France so that's why I posed the question to locals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

chefestelle

To summarise, in Europe, including UK and Ireland we just don't have a tipping culture. I have never been to Oz, but what I understand is they don't tip, so are like here.

My inter used to live many years ago in NYC and the first time I visited her I was truly shocked at how much I was expected to leave in a tip.

Here in Europe when you get a bill in a restaurant or price tag in a shop, that is what you pay. Our prices are all inclusive which makes life easy.

As we have said before, we don't want a US style tipping culture here. We are quite happy not feeling guilty if we haven't left a tip, because that is normal.

TBH, I wish we didn't do it either. It's ridiculous now that it's up to 20%. I never thought about it when it was 10%. Now it's like any other tax. Sadly, the restaurants I'm aware of that increased wages and stipulated no tipping evidently failed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app