Tipping in France

chefestelle

Hello! I'm looking for tipping advice from our French members. I recently saw a post from a European poster who urged me to consider the tipping customs in Europe and not presume to bring my Canadian practices over. I intended to tip according to custom but this got me working on my research. The information was quite inconsistent! What are the tipping customs for dining, cabs, porters and room attendants? Thanks very much in advance!

Hello! I'm looking for tipping advice from our French members. I recently saw a post from a European poster who urged me to consider the tipping customs in Europe and not presume to bring my Canadian practices over. I intended to tip according to custom but this got me working on my research. The information was quite inconsistent! What are the tipping customs for dining, cabs, porters and room attendants? Thanks very much in advance!

Tipping etiquette in France is similar to here in Spain - nothing like the amounts expected on your side of the Pond!

15% Service should be included automatically on French restaurant bills (clearly marked) but, if we enjoy a meal, we generally add a maximum of 5% (locals often just round a bill up to the next Euro). We would only ever add 10% for exceptional service. You are not expected to leave anything if you have just a coffee - if you have a couple of Beers or Wines just leave a few cents.

Cab drivers we give 1-2 Euros depending on the length of journey and if the driver has made us feel safe; many people would just round the fare up to the next whole Euro. Porters we would give a similar tip depending on how much luggage they carried for us.

Hotel maids don't expect anything but we generally leave up to 10 Euros if we stay several nights - but only if we have had good service; by the way don't think that giving a tip at the start of your stay will get you better service - it won't!.

There is often an attendant sitting outside rest rooms - it is polite to put just a few cents in their bowl.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Tipping etiquette in France is similar to here in Spain - nothing like the amounts expected on your side of the Pond!

15% Service should be included automatically on French restaurant bills (clearly marked) but, if we enjoy a meal, we generally add a maximum of 5% (locals often just round a bill up to the next Euro). We would only ever add 10% for exceptional service. You are not expected to leave anything if you have just a coffee - if you have a couple of Beers or Wines just leave a few cents.

Cab drivers we give 1-2 Euros depending on the length of journey and if the driver has made us feel safe; many people would just round the fare up to the next whole Euro. Porters we would give a similar tip depending on how much luggage they carried for us.

Hotel maids don't expect anything but we generally leave up to 10 Euros if we stay several nights - but only if we have had good service; by the way don't think that giving a tip at the start of your stay will get you better service - it won't!.

There is often an attendant sitting outside rest rooms - it is polite to put just a few cents in their bowl.

Hope this helps.

Sounds right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got back from France (pre+post cruise) and had done some research before going. As opinions were mixed, I asked my hotel clerk who was very friendly and open to my many questions.

She said that 5-10% was acceptable depending on the quality of service.

We did not get charged a service charge on any of the meals we had in Nice, France or the villages that we visited. (maybe they weren't upscale enough)

Cab drivers we gave $1-3eu ($10%) depending on the length of journey and just rounded up to nearest dollar if he added a per person or baggage charge.

If I used a porter I would give $1eu a bag.

We left $1eu a day with a minimum of $5eu for a hotel stay. DW tends to use every piece of towel and wants them changed daily.

Washrooms (WC = water closet) are clearly marked with a cost in the bigger cities at $.50-$.70eu. If there is an attendant at non pay toilets, we would leave the minimum $.50eu. I would buy a beverage if DW had to use any restaurant toilets.

We left $1eu a day with a minimum of $5eu for a hotel stay. DW tends to use every piece of towel and wants them changed daily.

Leaving a room tip each day is just not necessary - it is just not a practice Europeans are used to - and makes absolutely no difference to the level of service you receive. Towels will be changed daily if you leave them in the bath/shower automatically.

I heartily agree with Campolady. This US type of tipping is not normal in Europe where hotel staff are paid a living wage. Your towels would have been changed anyway. Please, in future, tip according to local custom, which in this instance would have been not at all.

I love t when non Europeans or somebody who does not live in Europe contradicts all the advice given. We don't want or need US style tipping in European countries, it is not the custom or expected.

Normally in hotels there is a sign to tell you to leave used towels in the bath or shower and they will be changed.

I love t when non Europeans or somebody who does not live in Europe contradicts all the advice given. We don't want or need US style tipping in European countries, it is not the custom or expected.

That is because people ask,but don't listen if you get my drift. Why ask in the first place is beyond me if one is going to go against the grain..:confused:

Americans and Canadians would do well to accept that their customs on tipping are more the exception than the norm and that many counties do not want their own custom Americanised.

I understand how you may find it difficult to change your habits and I know that Americans and Canadians are overall very kind and generous people.

But the descriptions of appropriate tipping in France is very much how it is in Australia, and I know from experience in Italy.

Here we do not tip housekeeping any more than we give a daily tip to our child's career at daycare or our elderly mother's home care nurse. All are paid a living wage, have comprehensive health care not linked to their employment and there is no reason they should be tipped for carrying out their tasks.

That is because people ask,but don't listen if you get my drift. Why ask in the first place is beyond me if one is going to go against the grain..:confused:

I'm the one who asked and I am listening so you can skip the rude remarks, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm the one who asked and I am listening so you can skip the rude remarks, thanks

Just so you know it was NOT directed at you in the least.This question gets asked ALL the time and it gets answered all the time just as it was here about tipping,and yet it keeps getting asked every season and in between. The reply was just a take I had from the poster whom I sent the reply to. I am sorry if you thought I was being rude to YOU alone.

I was referring to cberge's remark. I'm not offended by yours at all since it addresses the question helpfully

My remark was not directed to you..if I had wanted to be rude I would have done so. I have answered this question many times over the years.