What Changes Would You Like NCL To Make?

cruzeluver

Overall I think NCL does a great job but I do have a few changes I would like to see:

Better customer service- Crews onboard have been great but calling NCL's customer service can be an exercise in frustration. No one has been outright rude, they just seem to be going through the motions, and "I dunno" and "Can't help ya" seem to be common refrains.

More ports of departure- Would love to see NCL home port ships on the east coast of Florida (Port Canaveral, Jacksonville etc.). RCCL and CCL offer more departure port choices.

More shorter cruises-Sometimes a 4 or 5 nighter is just the ticket but NCL rarely offers them. Again, RCCL and CCL come out ahead on this one.

None of this is to say I don't love NCL, cuz I do!

Anyone else have things they'd like to see change?

There are a couple of things that jump to the top of the list. Some they have said they are in the process of addressing.

#1 - Their website and online support systems. Major improvements here could help address some of the CS issues that pop up. Better real time info that gets to us the passengers and the lonely CS reps on the end of the phone.

You can not even complete a booking without calling and tying up a CS rep to make payment.

Online reservations for tours are not really online. They should be real time and provide an immediate confirmation. Why force use to call, create call center volume, just to check what we already know

Bon Voyage gifts. soda packages, wine orders should be able to be completed online again taking volume of the call center.

If the Website did what it could and should that would reduce cost and allow the CS reps to work the more complex issues that can not be resolved online.

If there is an event - the script for that issue should pop up on the CS screen almost real time. Without efficient information flow those on the end of the line fielding our calls will continue to say from time to time "I don't know"

#2 A real Latitudes Program - They have indicated it is in the works but we need to see what it in fact turns out to be. No better way to fill a ship with passengers that have expectations in line with the product.

Unlike the OP I would like to see more longer cruises. The 13 day Spirit cruises in FL were well received and different from what everyone else was offering. Many of the bargain priced 5 day cruises were a nightmare. The 3-5 day market has been a place to use older tired ships for the larger lines. The crowd it draws for the most part are first timers or party people. More ports in FL buts NCL in a face to face battle with the other lines. They could consider more US ports outside Fl. as the seem to be doing. Perhaps a full season in SF doing 10/11 day cruises.

Well everyone knows I don't find to much to complain about when it comes to NCL but I do have a couple concerns or things I would like to see imporved or changed:

1-the stupid policy about liquor. Yes, I know all lines have the same policy, but I do believe or I know NCL enforces it more than other lines.

2-customer service: generally I have been very lucky, with no compliants but something happened last week that was totally uncalled for: I had called NCL and asked if docs for a client had been sent. The answer NO, so I requested, as I always do, they come directly to me. If I don't do that, they go to our headquarters in Florida, on to my manager and then to me. I insist on seeing them before my clients get them, just to make sure everything is in order. The agent I spoke with assured me they wouldn't go out for a couple of weeks and would come to me: got notified by my manager yesterday, he has them in his office. Obviously they had gone out to Florida before I made the call. It isn't a big thing, but shows the lack of customer service. It appears the young man I spoke with did not even check to see if they had been sent. The saving grace, this isn't the only company with poor customer service. I know the agents are not paid well, but that isn't an excuse to just say whatever comes to your mind.

I have absolutely no other gripes about NCL and don't hesitate to sell them to most of my clients. Occassionally I have someone that I don't think would fit with NCL, those cases I don't reccommend NCL but if they want to give the line a try I would not discourage them. I don't feel it is my place to make their decisions.

NMNita

Echoing everything shoreguy said. NCL needs a functional website on which you can complete every transaction in real time. I should never have to call a rep unless there's a serious problem.

(Also wouldn't mind having self-service laundry on every ship!)

Jim,

You seem to have a lot of on-line issues.......hmmmmmmm maybe a good TA could help;)

I would like to see better informed reps in ALL departments. Not sure if there is a big turnover or what:confused: My DSM is great and if I have a question she will get me the answer.

I think that being innovative in the industry they run into more problems then the other lines and it takes them time to fix things. Sometimes I wish it wouldn`t take them so long;)

Jim,

You seem to have a lot of on-line issues.......hmmmmmmm maybe a good TA could help;)

Naa - that would take all the adventure out of booking. :D Last two bookings I did myself it took NCL executives to straighten them out. I would miss out on all that stress and worry. :D

State of the art information systems would make things much better for TAs and passengers alike.

It seem to me that a fully functioning website, including bon voyage gifts, shore excursions and reservations would help the most. Yes I understand about a good TA but a fully functioning website would make it easier for the TA too and not rely on a good CS that the TA has. Also it would allow better training and better responses by the CSR's at the same time. This shouldn't be instead of the TA's but a better way to do routine kinds of things. It would allow the CSR's to concentrate on real problem solving.

Some people find it easier to use the internet some don't don't. By having such an internet available it would make it easier.

Shorter cruises can only be done by moving the ships to Florida. Its hard to do shorter cruises from NY or the the Northeast- especially in the winter.

The shorter cruises tend to be more the drinking crowd. I personally agree with not allowing people to bring liquor aboard as those that do tend(not all) to drink to excess. Charging for booze limits the drinking to some extent.

I'm an experienced travel planner and rarely use a TA. But even when I do, I like to do a lot of my own homework first to see what's out there. (This is fun for me.) So a decent website benefits everybody.

At some point, NCL is going to figure out that many of us book their ships in spite of, not because of, their land-based operations. Once we get on board, things always work beautifully in our experience, and the onboard customer service is fantastic. But there have to be a lot of potential NCL customers who give up long before they make it to the dock.

Like to see them enforce the dress code in the dining rooms, it's begining to look tacky.

Would like 24 hour pizzeria and longer hours on the Ice Cream.

Better bedding, some of the pillows are like pancakes and the linens are threadbare.

Other than that, pretty safisfied.;)

We've been very happy with our three NCL cruises--all on older ships not built for Freestyle cruising. Suggested improvements?

1. A buffet comparable to HAL's (HAL's only real competitive advantage in my view)

2. Sugar-free dessert offerings at dinner besides ice cream

3. A no-announcements policy (although there were really none other than "bingo is starting in ten minutes" on our two 2005 cruises)

4. A repeat-guest program with some teeth

5. Hot room-service breakfasts available in all categories of cabin

6. One pool with a retractable roof on all ships (and certainly on new ones)

7. Better lounge chairs on sun/pool decks

8. Restaurants with more glass and better visibility out, a la Dream/Wind (and, yes, I realize this is a result of balconied cabins now lining every upper deck, thus relegating larger dining rooms to the bowels; but this is a wish list)

9. Bigger glasses for water, iced tea, etc., at the buffet (when I start listing a nit like this you know I'm overall very satisfied with the product)

Shorter cruises can only be done by moving the ships to Florida. Its hard to do shorter cruises from NY or the the Northeast- especially in the winter.

The shorter cruises tend to be more the drinking crowd. I personally agree with not allowing people to bring liquor aboard as those that do tend(not all) to drink to excess. Charging for booze limits the drinking to some extent.

I believe shorter cruises could work on the West Coast too - Say Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco for instance or vice versa. Even into Canada. Possibly some already exist, I don't know.

As for the booze - why should people be able to bring their own booze onboard? You don't take your own liquor to a restaurant, do you? We have seen this played out over and over on the boards. It still seems strange that people are sneaking booze onto the cruise lines. Of course, you must know, I am not a drinker, so please forgive my ignorance in this respect.

The dress code in the restaurants is another thing which I would love to see enforced. I agree with nycruiser on this completely.

Cruzeluver hit on my big ones, but here goes..

More options for Florida departures. Majesty sails into Port Canaveral, but NCL will not let you board from there. Dawn also docks there, but itinerary is not one with the appeal of the Majesty's. Also, having a ship year round from Florida would be a start. NCL has also ignored Tampa for some reason. Only time I have seen a NCL ship in Tampa was in drydock.

Bring back the shorter cruises. NCL has not been consistant with this. They have some one year and none the next. NCL and other lines typically use their older ships for this. NCL could use the Crown, Wind or Dream.

I have loved our past 5 cruises with them. Hope they don't change anything about the onboard product. Their lack of departures from Florida is the only reason we have not gone back to NCL.

The buffet needs to be upgraded. The food had gone down a notch since last year.

Changing of itineraries out of NYC. The Dawn will be doing New England/Canada next fall and we have already book that cruise.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

What others have said plus one of my own:

I would LOVE to see loungers or deck chairs on the promenade deck of ships like the Sun. I love to watch the ocean go by and I like to feel ocean breezes. I find the pool deck noisy and I don't like windscreens - although I understand why they are necessary that high on the ship.

What others have said plus one of my own:

I would LOVE to see loungers or deck chairs on the promenade deck of ships like the Sun. I love to watch the ocean go by and I like to feel ocean breezes.

Agree, and should add that to my list.

On Majesty two weeks ago several people brought lounge chairs from other decks and set them up on the sunny side of Promenade Deck. We enjoyed two of them for an hour or so on the last sea day, went to lunch, and found the chairs had been returned whence they came when we got back. Yes, this does give you a real feeling of old-time ocean cruising.

Cruzeluver hit on my big ones, but here goes..

More options for Florida departures. Majesty sails into Port Canaveral, but NCL will not let you board from there. Dawn also docks there, but itinerary is not one with the appeal of the Majesty's. Also, having a ship year round from Florida would be a start. NCL has also ignored Tampa for some reason. Only time I have seen a NCL ship in Tampa was in drydock.

Bring back the shorter cruises. NCL has not been consistant with this. They have some one year and none the next. NCL and other lines typically use their older ships for this. NCL could use the Crown, Wind or Dream.

I have loved our past 5 cruises with them. Hope they don't change anything about the onboard product. Their lack of departures from Florida is the only reason we have not gone back to NCL.

I believe one of the main reasons NCL has less FL departures is because there are already so many sailings from these cities on other lines. Why should NCL drop a full time ship in Lauderdale, Miami or Port Canaveral when these ports offer some of the cheapest departures available. NCL gets more for New York cruises then RCI gets for most of its MIA sailings. The Niche market is where the money is. Plus NCL does not have that many ships.

The Majesty would be a great ship for the 3-4 day rotation. I believe she has offered them before.

I would like to see something different at the Latitudes Party, rather than the same old appetizers... give us something new and different to eat.

I would like a better Latitudes program. I'm looking forward to what the new one will be and hope that I truly feel rewarded for sticking with NCL.

Don't ever, ever send me one of those welcome back from your cruise coupons which offer an upgrade on a future cruise. Silly, worthless piece of paper!!!

I would like to see a different ship other than the Star for the Mexican itinerary. This is purely selfish reasons in that we have been on the Star three times. We are a little bit tired of it but want to go to Mexico. Despite this, we may go in February unless I can convince DH that we can be gone for the 10 or 11 night out of NY.

Put the Spirit back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the winter months.

Offer a nine day sailing out of Florida.

Speed up the building of the new ships and put a new one, replacing the Majesty to Bermuda. Sorry, guys the Majesty no longer appeals to us.

Better customer service. I have the impression that the crew on board in general works very hard to provide an excellent cruise experience but it seems that their efforts are often undermined by the CS departments way of dealing with customers.

Also head office's poor communication of information to the customers IMO makes the crews job more difficult. I think they end up dealing with more disgruntled cruisers than they would if Customer relations were doing it's job well.

A better web site that allowed you to do more directly, without phone calls, would be good too.

Better food on the buffet but this is not just an NCL thing but something that could be improved by many cruiselines I think.

I wish they had some free cold drink besides iced tea something like lemonade and, while it would be too much to ask to bring your own wine on board, I wish they had a better wine program of some sort. Maybe a selection of a few mid-priced wines and you could sign up at the beginning of the cruise to choose one of those for dinner each night at a special priceor something like that.

I hadn't thought of it myself but since someone else mentioned it, I too would like the deck chairs on the promonade deck.

Think that's about all for now!:)

Archived