Dive In movies - Blankets, audio

tbmrt

We never saw an outdoor movie on past cruises and would like to try it on the Dream this year.

I read that they give popcorn out which is great for my salt craving!

Do they give out blankets if it's chilly? Any suggested places to sit out of wind and to hear movie well?

We were on the Dream and anywhere on the lido deck in front of the Giant TV screen was fine. They had an old time popcorn machine and you salted the popcorn yourself. They also had blankets if you wanted on. Close to LIDO buffet if you wanted snacks as well.

That last cruise was the first time we did the DIVE IN Movies and liked them. They are all pretty new movies as well.

ENJOY

The popcorn is really bland so my husband and I brought kettle corn seasoning for our last cruise and it made the popcorn perfect. Either way, this is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise. Watching a movie under a blanket in the middle of the Caribbean sea is pretty dang wonderful!

We did the same thing on the Dream. We ended up buying a couple of the blankets. One of the movies my wife wanted to watch was during our dining time. So the day before, we ask our dining room crew if they would set us up with one of the dishes she really wanted. The next day before the movie, I went to the dining room, picked it up and carried it to the lido deck. It was great!

Watching Dive In movies on the Dream was one of our favorite activities on our last cruise.

I never saw anyone using blankets. Lots of people used the big blue beach towels, though. Is blankets something new that they're doing?

I can't remember which ship (think the Dream) I was on, but I asked for a blanket and the towel guy told me they didn't have blankets, but I could use a towel. As for the popcorn, it was popped fresh but there was no salt or butter on it. That night, there were 2 shakers of salt on one of the bar tables, one was almost empty and the other was clumpy from the humidity.. :(

Will be on the Victory in a little more than a month, will check out there ! :)

Edited by Kel040

We sailed on the Splendor in January and did watch "The Martian" at the dive in movies. They did have blankets and popcorn. Sound and video were crummy, though. Even getting there early, it was hard to find a seat, and we were at the far end of the pool from the screen. With everyone talking, you could not hear the sound. Once folks quieted down, it was better, but still low. The screen is made of segments. Some were very bright, some much dimmer. Between the difficulty finding a spot and the poor quality, we only did it the one night.

On the Freedom last November I watched Minions with my kids. No blankets available at that time. We just covered up with the blue beach towels. Flavor or not, my boys were excited to eat the popcorn by the pool. No problems with the sound, thought it was a little loud. Screen was great. Going on Freedom again in April with my mom and Aunt, looking forward to seeing an adult movie pool side this time.

I have a shaker of kettle corn seasoning, I love the movies, never go at home so use my cruise to catch up. some ships have blankets at certain times of the year but the towels and robes are always available. depending on the movie the seats will fill up fast, two cruises ago they showed Frozen and every little kid on the ship as there and singing along, it was cute/

I can't remember which ship (think the Dream) I was on, but I asked for a blanket and the towel guy told me they didn't have blankets, but I could use a towel.

I was on the Dream last fall and they definitely have blankets. Perhaps they had just given them all out and didn't have any left when you asked for them. But they definitely have them on the Dream.

We love the movies!! We have actually watched every one of The Hunger Games movies on board and were joking that if there is one this sailing, it would complete the series for us and low and behold - it will be on the big screen when we sail in 2 weeks!!

We will usually grab sweatshirts and I will grab a blanket before we find a seat. The popcorn is OK but takes forever and there is usually quite a line (at least in my experience!) I will typically send hubby to get us some pizza about half way through the movie.

Afterwards, we will take a scroll through the rest of the ship as it is so peaceful that time of night.

I was on the Glory in October and saw 4 of the movies at the late showing. It depended on the popularity of the movie how crowded it was. The wind was pretty intense on the upper decks. Definitely take some popcorn salt. In October I wore a long sleeve pullover but didn't take advantage of the towels they were offering and I was warm enough in shorts. Didn't have any problems with sound or viewing.