A question for those that disdain buffets

beachbum53

I might get slammed for this but I'll get over it. I've always thought the typical human is basically a slob. I've witnessed so many guys leaving the restroom without even pretending to wash their hands and I've seen too many people move food around with their fingers in the buffet line. Some of these people seem to have been raised by wolves (but that's insulting to wolves).

I've been lucky to never have gotten sick on a cruise but I try to use stations where the food is prepared individually (Omelet station, deli, etc).

Before going into port we eat a large beakfast. We also take the little individual prepackaged cereal boxes with us to snack on. Fruit loops is our favorite. And if we're gone a really long time we might order a snack from some place on the island but that's rare.

If we get back on board before dinner time and we're starving we eat in the buffet area but not at the self serve buffet line. The self serve buffet line food tends to not be seasoned well, it lacks variety, it been sitting out for a while and doesn't taste fresh, and it's not warm at all. I don't consider the separate made to order restaurants in the buffet area to be a part of the buffet. A buffet is serve yourself where you choose what and how much you want. The side restaurants like the sandwich place, the Asian food place, Guys Burgers, and Blue Iguana are not self serve and are portion controlled so they aren't really a part of the buffet. These are the places we like to eat at if we aren't in the MDR. The food at these places are fresh, hot, made to order, and seasoned well.

I don't really recall the last time I ate something off the regular buffet other than a piece of fruit or a dessert. I generally gravitate toward the options which has an employee make something for you and then hand you the plate - so Guys, the Deli, Pizza, and Blue Iguana. Pasta Bar would also fit that category, but we haven't sailed on a ship with one in a while. Mongolian also fits that category, but I dislike the Mongolian Wok.....

However, I do wish people would use common sense when getting food. And as someone with allergies, I wish they would LEARN TO KEEP TONGS/SERVING UTENSILS IN THEIR ASSIGNED DESIGNATION. People cross contaminate items so much on a buffet - my husband has called people out on it. lol.

All food service pose a health risk but luckily the human body has the ability to fight off most problems but not all of course and this is why millions of people get sick each year. But compared to the rest of the world the chance of a deadly food borne illness is slight. Once while traveling in Mexico City, I observed a taco type cart. The man running reached his hand into the meat to load the tacos. I sat and watched him for several minutes as he fixed tacos, wiped his nose, adjusted himself, and rubbed his head and those of others. But oddly enough there was a constant line of people waiting to be served including many Americans.

However, I do wish people would use common sense when getting food. And as someone with allergies, I wish they would LEARN TO KEEP TONGS/SERVING UTENSILS IN THEIR ASSIGNED DESIGNATION. People cross contaminate items so much on a buffet - my husband has called people out on it. lol.

Seen workers at Panda Express use the same utensil to push food around in the customer's plate.

........... The man running reached his hand into the meat to load the tacos. I sat and watched him for several minutes as he fixed tacos, wiped his nose, adjusted himself, and rubbed his head and those of others. ...........

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. lol

Seen workers at Panda Express use the same utensil to push food around in the customer's plate.

The great thing about Panda is that if you tell them you have an allergy, they will go out of their way to make sure you don't receive anything cross-contaminated. I haven't actually seen what you stated happen (but we also don't have one where I live, so my visits are not frequent), but they will take care of you if you do have an allergy and let them know.

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of the staff placing items on the plate vs the guest. I guess it would make it more cafeteria like, but to me the benefits outweigh the cons here.