gratuities - exchange rate?

I paid for my spring break cruise in Canadian dollars which I booked in January 2015 (before our dollar tanked). Pre-paying my gratuities today with our dollar around the 72 cent mark, would I be getting the exchange rate that was in effect at the time of booking or the current exchange rate (which is much less favourable).

In my experience you get charged the prevailing exchange rate at the time of purchase or charge date (if you let the grats go on your daily account they will be all charged at once at the end of the cruise instead of daily)

Edited by Biker19

I paid for my spring break cruise in Canadian dollars which I booked in January 2015 (before our dollar tanked). Pre-paying my gratuities today with our dollar around the 72 cent mark, would I be getting the exchange rate that was in effect at the time of booking or the current exchange rate (which is much less favourable).

Solution pay in Canadian money,if it turns out to be a little less so be it.Remember tips are up to you. Tips are given not taken.Have a great cruise,and don't worry about the Royal Cheerleaders.:)

I agree with Biker about the timing, but we did notice that the exchange rate RCI offered was a bit better than the mid-market rate. I think they may lock in rates for a period of time, so it could be better (or potentially worse!) than the advertised rates you see around.

We just went through this and were locked in at $1.10 exchange until about 2 weeks back. The rate was changed to $1.41.

We did mange to pre-pay our tips and managed to buy $2000 US onboard credit for our 24 day cruise.

Phil

I can see the same situation happening here in Australia.

Depending on which exchange rate you use Royal are over charging by at least 25 cents per person per day yesterday if booking pre paid tips.

I had the same issue. I called RCI directly and was told what price my gratuities were locked in at the time of booking (about $1.23 CDN / $1 USD or $15.91 per day). I called my travel agent and prepaid them (our cruise is in a couple days). If I had waited to pay them at the end of our trip on our Seapass it would have been at $1.41 CDN / $1 USD or $18.26 per day.

Call RCI's 1800 number and find out......