Has anyone been upgraded after they noted "no" to an upgrade?

Hflors

Also from RuthC's comment: "I wonder if the consultant would have been willing to trade cabins, and what the Front Desk would have done if you both had approached them with the option. Or, even if you had approached alone with that suggestion!"

To the folks here: Would you have knocked on their door?

Since your response was from my original post, the fact that we tried to get our original cabin at check-in and on the ship and were denied, figured it was a done deal.

On at least three cruises our cabin was changed at the port and luggage delivered to wrong cabin. No problem finding.

I really can't for the life of me figure out why HAL would so such a thing. In our case it would most likely be the last HAL cruise we would be taking. Our only alternative would be to get a disabled room and we don't want to do that when we only need a shower.

Anyway I am keeping my fingers crossed that we won't be moved and we are going to have a great trip.

Edited by Hflors
misspelled word

We only had a connecting cabin once before I clued in to the missing closet issue. I can't say as we heard any noise at all as a result of the doors.

Maybe we have just been lucky but noise from surrounding cabins has never been a problem for us.

Now you've got me worried about the closet space. Ours is a 19 day cruise, & I am definitely in the over packer category. :D

Now you've got me worried about the closet space. Ours is a 19 day cruise, & I am definitely in the over packer category. :D

If you are concerned I would contact your ta or Hal if you booked thru them and arrange to move now. They should be able to move you to another cabin if there is one in that catagory. I've never noticed a huge difference in the closet space with the connecting rooms. The standard balcony rooms are just not that big to begin with. It might be more noticeable in a suite level room.

To the folks here: Would you have knocked on their door?

I absolutely would now. With the way my mobility has deteriorated, there is no way I would want to attempt to use the tub.

Why not? What have you got to lose?

I would approach it as a win-win possibility with the people assigned "my" inside cabin getting an outside for no extra charge, while I get the shower. Most people would be pleased with that opportunity (I should think), especially if the cabin was in the same area of the ship.

If they didn't want to switch, I would approach someone in authority at the Front Desk and insist they come up with a solution acceptable to me.

Edited by RuthC

I think the front desk suggestion that you knock on the door and ask to swap cabins is a bad idea. Put the question the other way.

Suppose you were a cabin and someone knocked on your door and said that they wanted to swap cabins? It's likely that the person who got this cabin was on a guarantee and had no idea the cabin had been assigned to someone else. Some stranger asking to swap cabins would strike me as odd, at the least.

This is something that the ship should handle for you. They could start by calling the people in "your" cabin. That wouldn't take too much time. They are supposed to be there for customer "service," not to tell you to deal with it on your own.

Having that one less closet would make a huge difference for a longer cruise. If you have a connecting cabin I would see if you can get it changed now, as there may be something else available in your category.

And if the Front Desk won't? What then???

Ask to see the hotel manager. If they say he isn't available, ask for an appointment. Make it clear that you will not leave until you get to talk to the appropriate person or get an appointment to do so. If they refuse, circle around to the back of the line and go through it all again. Have paper and pen with you and write down what you're told and who said it. People get nervous when you start taking names and they tend to be more cooperative.

Those are good suggestions for some people, especially those who aren't direct. One should use the method they are most comfortable with.

And let's reiterate---being upgraded from a "do not upgrade" cabin is rare.

However, should it happen---I agree that it should be HAL's problem to solve, but the passenger without a shower is the one who may suffer if nothing is done, or done timely.

My fear about getting to see the Hotel Manager is the delay. Appointment tomorrow. Sorry, he was called to a meeting. How long does that go on before one gives up? I've read of too many critical problems (like plumbing or A/C) that took 4-5 days of a cruise to solve.

We book mini suites because I need the tub to put my bath bench into. We also request no upgrades because we prefer our book the location of the cabin. I have artificial knees with one knee that can give out on me as well as a fused ankle so standing in a narrow shower is not safe for me nor practical. For years, I have requested ahead of time with the cruise line that I will require a free standing bath bench (seat). Always took Lysol wipes with me so I could make sure the bench was clean. Now we travel with a round bath seat which comes apart so half is in my husband's luggage and the rest in mind. Glad we travel with it because one time (on a Princess ship), the bench belonged in the garbage. I totally understand about the high sides on some of the tubs but if I can get one leg over the edge, then I can slide onto the bench and getting out is relatively easy. What works for me may not work for anyone else but thought I would offer the suggestion. I don't request a handicapped suite because it isn't necessary and someone else may need it more.

Sandy

Edited by Northern Light

I have found that having your booking linked with others is the surest way to be upgraded when Do Not Upgrade has been not been marked by all involved. The worst of those was when three couples were moved from three HH cabins under the dining room which were booked for quiet and we were "upgraded" to C cabins under the kitchen with known noise and water leak problems. We were told no other cabins were available, could not be switched with current occupants of 'our' HH cabins and were finally offered very substantial credits on a future cruise. Two couples took the offer. The third couple never cruised again. That was the most stressful cruise I've ever taken. Fortunately, few of our later cruises involved any issues at all.

With all my HAL cruises and with 4 star status, I have never been offered a Mariner status upgrade or even been given an up-sell offer.

If you are concerned I would contact your ta or Hal if you booked thru them and arrange to move now. They should be able to move you to another cabin if there is one in that catagory. I've never noticed a huge difference in the closet space with the connecting rooms. The standard balcony rooms are just not that big to begin with. It might be more noticeable in a suite level room.

I did contact our TA about this. She was told by HAL that the only change we could make would be to a guarantee, which means we could end up in a connecting room anyway or worse. Many of these things I read here & things I have experienced personally since booking, make me wonder if we will ever sail on HAL again. It seems they need to "upgrade" their customer service.

I did contact our TA about this. She was told by HAL that the only change we could make would be to a guarantee, which means we could end up in a connecting room anyway or worse. Many of these things I read here & things I have experienced personally since booking, make me wonder if we will ever sail on HAL again. It seems they need to "upgrade" their customer service.

Well that is really stupid. Georges gal on our cruise moved to another room within her category. I wonder if your category is now only guarantees. I've gotten mostly good assignments but you just never know. Their customer service does leave a bit to be desired at times. I'm hoping this cruise is a good one. The ones I took last year left a bit to be desired and I'm a Hal fan.

Try going online to do a dummy booking (don't sign in to the website) and see what's available. If you find a cabin you want, call your TA again. If your grade is guarantee only at this point, try again in March. There might be a promotion going on at the moment that requires booking a guarantee. Maybe next month that will change.

Unfortunately, HAL often gives out incorrect information, so I would have your TA persevere. I have changed cabins within the same category a couple of times, as they came available when someone cancelled. In both cases, I ended up, however, with an upsell to Neptune, but the point is - I was able to change at the time.