NCL's "Exclusive Rome and the Vatican" tour

BNL1213

I am hoping I can get some info on this specific NCL tour from someone that has been on it. I posted this in the Ports of call Italy forum but someone suggested I post here as well.

I know hiring private tours are very popular here on these boards and to be honest, I actually have a couple of them booked for some other ports, but for Rome I think I'm more comfortable paying extra for a ship sponsored tour in order to relax and have some peace of mind.

This particular tour seems to be for a smaller group. I'm hoping someone has actually taken this tour and can let me know if they thought it was worth the $399 price tag. It is being referred to as an NCL U Tour, which I guess means it's the best they have to offer. Any info would be great!

Thanks all!

If you don't mind a private tour suggestion...look at "All Around Italy" with Fabrizio. Absolutely wonderful...and no concerns about time. He and his employees are very conscientious of the time as their business is primarily catering to cruise passengers. He took us to a couple places that the standard tours didn't include (ex. Knights of Malta Keyhole). Fabrizio is awesome...

Edited by wes1side

Do a private tour (we used Rome in Limo,huge thread on them in Port of Call forum). They can arrange a guide for you at the Vatican as well, with the limited time this is a lifesaver. (Yes, you will pay a tad more than booking one yourself but they know the good ones!)

A few years ago, a van for 8 of us plus the tour guide was about 575 euros, or the same price you would pay on NCL for 2, so you could share with just one other couple even and save money and still have a great group experience.

I am hoping I can get some info on this specific NCL tour from someone that has been on it. I posted this in the Ports of call Italy forum but someone suggested I post here as well.

I know hiring private tours are very popular here on these boards and to be honest, I actually have a couple of them booked for some other ports, but for Rome I think I'm more comfortable paying extra for a ship sponsored tour in order to relax and have some peace of mind.

This particular tour seems to be for a smaller group. I'm hoping someone has actually taken this tour and can let me know if they thought it was worth the $399 price tag. It is being referred to as an NCL U Tour, which I guess means it's the best they have to offer. Any info would be great!

Thanks all!

Edited by Loonbeam

Do a private tour (we used Rome in Limo,huge thread on them in Port of Call forum). They can arrange a guide for you at the Vatican as well, with the limited time this is a lifesaver. (Yes, you will pay a tad more than booking one yourself but they know the good ones!)

A few years ago, a van for 8 of us plus the tour guide was about 575 euros, or the same price you would pay on NCL for 2, so you could share with just one other couple even and save money and still have a great group experience.

Last year, my dd visited her friend who was studying abroad in Rome for her 21st birthday.

I came onto CC since I wanted to find them a tour to do while in Rome.

Everyone talked about Rome in Limo. I looked at them on tripadvisor and e-mailed them.

I LOVED THEM.

*I had them pick up my dd at the airport and drive her to her friends place in Rome.

*I had them pick up my dd/friend at the apartment and took them to the highlights we/they requested. When they would get out of the car and if they weren't with the driver at any given moment, he gave them cell phones so they could be in contact with him so they didn't have to use their phones.

*He told them where to go for dinners and took them to a great restaurant for lunch.

*He picked up my dd from her friends place and drove her back to the airport at the end of the week

I LOVED the fact that they would do the roundtrip transfers from the airport. I would highly recommend them! It was the first time my dd was out of the country without family and she said she felt completely safe and comfortable with Rome in Limo. I did do a comment on them for tripadvisor or yelp (can't remember which one) and I'm just saying this now since these are the comments I wanted to read when I was looking for a tour and to feel comfortable for my dd.

I did do the trip with ncl cause I wanted to see it all in one day and make it back on the ship.it was a great excurssion as long as they don't leave you behind they did to me twice lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They left you behind? How?? Did you make it back to the ship?

They left you behind? How?? Did you make it back to the ship?

They gave us their cell phone # , which took them along time to answer and then they finally came back to get me.

It was a confusion at the last stop where they let you shop for Vatican souvenir s the said they would meet on the other side of the store, I went in and went to the right where you couldn't go back just straight through and they meant the other one on the left but didn't mention that two different exits lol. The first time was at the coliseum trying to get that perfect photo

OP, I know you are asking for opinions on the NCL excursion which I don't have, but I wanted to jump in anyway with another recommendation for "Rome in Limo"!

We had a group of 8 from our roll call here. The traffic between the port and Rome was horrendous that day, much worse than normal. The Rome in Limo host was awesome in tweaking the timelines so we could still see everything once we got into Rome. Our Vatican guide was phenomenal. (Maybe they all are, I don't know, but this one arranged through Rome in Limo sure was). For lunch, we were given the choice... do you want to go to a nice restaurant or a "hole in the wall" to save time. The 8 of us voted for the time saver. Awesome pizza. That's the kind of fun flexibility you would have that I'm guessing would not be available to a large tour bus full of people booked through the cruise line.

~Denise

We did this same excursion on RCI and it was good but it still seemed as though we we had to wait around in the group a lot, there were probably about 20 of us in the group. And it still seemed like we were herded around somewhat. Knowing what I do now, I would definitely look into a private excursion, your group will be smaller and the tour operators are experts at maneuvering around these tourist attractions.

Aargh! Lol....You all make such great points about using Rome in Limo!! I'm using them for my other two tours so it seems like a logical choice..I'm just worried about the timing. You are all absolutely sure they can get me back to the ship on time?? I hear traffic around Rome is awful, I'm really nervous about missing the ship.

Which is more likely to be able to adapt to traffic?

An 8 passenger mini-van or a tour bus..

Anything that will hold RIL back will also delay the tour buses, I wouldn't have any concerns. If the driver does they will adapt the schedule...

Aargh! Lol....You all make such great points about using Rome in Limo!! I'm using them for my other two tours so it seems like a logical choice..I'm just worried about the timing. You are all absolutely sure they can get me back to the ship on time?? I hear traffic around Rome is awful, I'm really nervous about missing the ship.