Denali: big difference between mile 53 and mile 66?

skrapngal

We expect to be there around May 23rd 2017 and if I look at this year's schedule, looks like Mile 53 is as far as we'll go on the shuttle bus.

How big of a difference (please don't say 13 miles LOL) will that make as far as chances of seeing wildlife?

We would love to go later but some in our party don't foresee being able to get vacation in June.

We expect to be there around May 23rd 2017 and if I look at this year's schedule, looks like Mile 53 is as far as we'll go on the shuttle bus.

How big of a difference (please don't say 13 miles LOL) will that make as far as chances of seeing wildlife?

We would love to go later but some in our party don't foresee being able to get vacation in June.

There's a huge difference - the area between Toklat (53) and Eielson (66) have produced a substantial amount of my best sightings of grizzly. But if 53 is as far as you can go when you're going to be there, it is what it is...

We only got to mile 53 last May and saw everything you look for except Grizzly bears. The next day we took the free Shuttle to Savage River and did the two mile river walk. We had two bears cross the trail just in front of us and watched them play in the river for several minutes. While waiting to go back, those two bears met up with three more. So our best wildlife show was just 15 miles out.

It is the luck of the draw, it's not a zoo. The animals can be anywhere or nowhere.

We did the Tundra Wilderness Tour in late August. We saw a family of grizzlies on a hillside quite some distance away. Mom and her 3 cubs romping and cavorting. With binoculars and the video camera on-board the coach, we had a good view of them on the way out.

Then on the way back, we lucked out again when a junior grizzly was grazing and walking right beside the road.

We also saw Dall sheep, a golden eagle, moose, a lone prairie dog, a herd of about 50 caribou stampede across the tundra and hundreds of rabbits after dark. We stopped a lot for sightings.

Two of our companions left the TWT at the first restroom stop and returned on a shuttle and saw a lone wolf, but missed the grizzlies, eagle, Dall sheep and caribou that we saw.

Others that go to Alaska regularly say Eielson is necessary, but I think we only went to Toklat because there was no visitor center where we turned around, only restrooms.

You are in the Wilderness, so there may be wildlife, but others have reported they saw nothing. I hope you enjoy your trip to Alaska, whenever you go.

I find it "interesting" the replies from people who haven't been there.

The difference is SIGNIFICANT. The farther you go, the MORE you see, simple math, and that "13 miles" isn't 13, it's 26 since it's round trip. This is a noted bear habitat concentrated area. Take a look at a map.

Eielson is well worth the effort to get there. First- it's a building- running water, flush toilets it's portapotties, otherwise. Ranger programs, exhibits, tables for eating lunch etc etc http://www.nps.gov/dena

Clearly, Denali is not for everyone. But I can see little reason to go there, if you aren't getting into the park, past Savage River.

Wildlife is always the "luck of the draw", again, the more and farther you go, the more you see.

The difference is SIGNIFICANT. The farther you go, the MORE you see, simple math, and that "13 miles" isn't 13, it's 26 since it's round trip. This is a noted bear habitat concentrated area. Take a look at a map.

Eielson is well worth the effort to get there. First- it's a building- running water, flush toilets it's portapotties, otherwise. Ranger programs, exhibits, tables for eating lunch etc etc http://www.nps.gov/dena

Clearly, Denali is not for everyone. But I can see little reason to go there, if you aren't getting into the park, past Savage River.

Wildlife is always the "luck of the draw", again, the more and farther you go, the more you see.

Thanks. We also booked Eielson shuttle bus ride. Wish we have more time to do a longer trip.

I will be there this June but have done extensive internet research on Denali and can share those links with others. The National Park Service website provides excellent information but it takes some digging through. I try to provide the relevant links for their chart on the possibility of wildlife sightings on different tours, dates that the tour options are available, and the option of taking a shuttle instead of a tour-bus and how to do it. I can direct folks to the page on the Princess website where it states that a refund is available for the tour included in their land-tour if they choose not to participate.

I would like to see a sticky with the relevant information, and sources, on "Denali National Park for cruise land-tours".

I will be there this June but have done extensive internet research on Denali and can share those links with others. The National Park Service website provides excellent information but it takes some digging through. I try to provide the relevant links for their chart on the possibility of wildlife sightings on different tours, dates that the tour options are available, and the option of taking a shuttle instead of a tour-bus and how to do it. I can direct folks to the page on the Princess website where it states that a refund is available for the tour included in their land-tour if they choose not to participate.

I would like to see a sticky with the relevant information, and sources, on "Denali National Park for cruise land-tours".

There's a lot to be said for first hand experience, sorry.

But I'm surprised, especially with your screen name, that you haven't been there, you write like you have.

Budget Queen is spot-on with her comments. Those 13 miles are prime areas for spotting sheep, goat, and other animals but, since Denali is not a theme park, nothing is guaranteed.

I speak from experience since I've been going to Denali virtually every summer since the mid-1970s. The last trip was in September when we drove our own vehicle in to Eielson Visitor Center (we had a Denali Road Lottery Pass). To do anything less is shortchanging yourself on this unique environment in America's National Park system.

There's a lot to be said for first hand experience, sorry.

But I'm surprised, especially with your screen name, that you haven't been there, you write like you have.

I have been to Alaska just not to Denali. I like to use original sources and support with the experience of others --my work background is in biological research. I find that both are needed to make good decisions about travel.

On CC I try to pose new questions or share internet links to help with misconceptions.

Somewhere there is a report/paper on wildlife habitat/sightings along the Denali Park Road -- it was shared on CC but I can't locate it at the moment. Quite eye-opening!

(My screen name comes from being a newbie to Alaska when I joined Cruise Critic.)

Edited by Alaskanb