RCI or Carnival ?

air man

You will probably find something on the new ship the Anthem, out of NJ. Dates for 2017 for July could be open around April, best thing is to keep checking the Royal Caribbean Home Page. Can't comment on Carnival, have never sailed with them, but we like RCCL.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Hello!!! I am sure you realize summer vacation is soooo expensive and you are probably having "sticker shock". For the month of July, you have a few options.

RCCL: Anthem out of NJ (new ship)

NCL; The Breakaway (new ship) or the Gem out of NYC

Carnival: The Sunshine (very old ship which was re-named from the Destiny a couple of years ago.

Personally, even though we are okay with the Carnival product (can usually get good deals if we feel like cruising), but that is not the case in the summer. This would be my last choice.....although I understand they do have a great childrens program.

NCL: Breakaway. We thoroughly enjoyed this ship and I also think they have a good kids program....lots to do on this ship. Cannot give my opinion on the Gem.....but have read nice things about it.

RCCL: I find that RCCL has a much better product for us. We have never had a bad cruise and cannot wait to sail the Anthem in a few months. Have never been disappointed in any of their ships.

I also think the Summit (Celebrity Cruise Lines) Cruises to Bermuda in the summer, out of NJ, but do not recommend this ship for kids. Not too much for them to do and they will be bored.

I think you have to see what you can afford and which itineraries interest you the most. Good luck in your research. I am sure you will have a wonderful time no matter which ship you choose. :)

I am in the early stages of planning a cruise for next early July ( 2017 ) for a family cruise of 6 for our sons HS graduation & summer vacation together out of Ny / NJ area. All info is welcomed here. Thanx

Probably best to also post this on the Carnival forum, to get the other point of view.

Edited by clarea

Half of my cruises have been on Carnival, and the other half with RCI. Is this cruise more for you or for your sons? If it's the latter, I'd go on Carnival. If it's for you, then it comes down to your style of cruising. RC is more laid back, Carnival not so much - but there's plenty to do on both. No one is going home bored or hungry on either, for sure. Not to offend carnival fans, but personally an accurate comparison is RC is like a good martini, it's just that Carnival likes to add a lot of Red Bull to it...

We are relatively new to cruising - but are in our mid 40's and are no way part of a party crowd. ( To set the scene our usual holidays are either family holidays -villas in Italy or Spain or for full on villas in Florida. For a adult break for DH and I a low key resort in Barbados or Italian lakes). We really enjoyed our 2 carnival cruises - One with our 2 girls aged 15 and 20yrs at the 2nd just DH and I. We found the food and shows both much better on carnival than our only RCCL cruise - the shows had live mini orchestra in a proper orchestra pit and really funny comedians - The shows last year on Rhapsody were pitiful - think school shows.

Both ships had the stupid game show stuff - some love them, not our thing so we just avoided on both (easy to do).

Carnival -better layout & bigger cabins. RCCL - cabins nicer decor. RCCL had by far the nicest indoor pool.

Our girls where 18 and 22yrs on RCCL and found it a bit quite and not so much to do compared to the carnival one (there was a nightclub and as it was EU both could go but it was always either deserted or as they described full of old people - probably in their 30's :eek:).

I know a lot on this forum run carnival down but I think that's its sometimes a bit of the devil you know. And sometimes due to one bad experience and that can happen on any ship - we had a few issues on first RCCL trip and nearly let it put us off the line - but I am trying them again this summer.

Also I think some things may just be down to the cruise area , time of year and demographic sailing that particular cruise. We had so much fun just watching the vibrancy of the Puerto Ricans on our sailing - they dance all the time - and boy can they dance- At the pool deck I could just sit and watch them and they just made me smile (My DH and I used to do salsa dancing lessons before I got MS)

I have 7 cruises under my belt 3 carnival and 4 RCI. This week will be my 5th RCI cruise and this summer we are going with the family on Carnival. We are a family of 5 (DW and 3 daughter 22,21 and 18). We look for the following when planning a cruise price, ship and ports. When we all travel we have done Carnival and they have been some of our favorite family vacations. DW and I like going on RCI when it is just us but that because 2 travel for less than 5, we generally travel in Jan. or Feb for anniversary so the cost is less. The other reason is because of the ships RCI ship are a lot large and nicer. But I can honestly say you cannot go wrong with either we have always has a great time on either cruise line and have never had nothing but a great experience cruising. Have a great g=cruise and remember planning it is part of the fun.

I have sailed several times on both lines and love them both. Each cruise is a different experience and it is what you make of it. I like the extra features that some of the RCI boats have like the promenade, the ice skating rink, and the flow-rider. I love the water slides on Carnival. The American Table menu that we had on the Carnival Liberty last year was the best food I have ever had on a cruise before. On the flipside, I liked the break we took from Carnival cuz watching the waiters dance to "Get Low" in the MDR got old after several trips! I absolutely love the RCI ships that have access to the helipad for the best view on the ship.

If you do choose Carnival, I would advise going with ships that have been fitted with the 2.0 upgrade (with Blue Iguana, Guy's Burgers, the comedy club, etc) in order to keep up with the more modern vibe of RCI.

I am in the early stages of planning a cruise for next early July ( 2017 ) for a family cruise of 6 for our sons HS graduation & summer vacation together out of Ny / NJ area. All info is welcomed here. Thanx

Hi there. We have an article on this that might help you to compare the two lines: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1780. Hope this helps!