Millennium - Transatlantic - 4/30/06

GenSteve

I'm VERY interested in booking Millennium's April 30th repositioning cruise. My partner and I have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean.

This cruise has the best transatlantic itinerary I've found, but I have concerns about Celebrity being a bit too formal. We never eat in the dining room, preferring to casually eat at the buffet. I've read that Celebrity doesn't offer a buffet option for dinner, but does have menu dining. Any feedback?

Also, I understand that Millennium will be undergoing some updating before heading back to Europe with this cruise. Any details?

And, finally, I would appreciate any comments about the gym, spa, sauna, steam setup on Millennium.

Thanks...Steve

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve,

I just booked the TA 30.April 2006 with the Millenium. Sadly there were no more balcony cabins, so booked a outside, standart- hm will suit me also.

The Millenium is a great ship- all of the Millenium- Class ships are.

You really miss something when not dinning in the dinning room, but there are buffet dinning oprtions on board and very good ones on the other hand. But I never tried the buffet, cause I like it to dine in the dinning room, meeting new, interessting people from all parts of the world.

So are you booked the TA- Cruise???

They say Millenium Class ships have great gym, spa and, I never use the gym on a cruise- even I should but- I am to lazy-- hehe.

Greetings

Michael

Hi Steve,

FYI......The Millie was in drydock undergoing some updating just prior to the November 20, 2005 transatlantic sailing...we were on it. The public rooms, and the cabins we saw seemed to be in top condition. The food and service was the best we've ever experienced on any of our 32 previous cruises, including Princess and RCL. Go for it! We too, think you are missing out meeting and interacting with your fellow passengers by not going to the dining room for some of your meals. Keep in mind that there are casual nights that don't require dressing up, just slacks and a sport shirt will do, but what's the big deal about putting on a jacket and tie on the formal nights anyway??? Can't offer any info about the spa, sauna, gym or steam setup because we don't use them...sorry. And finally, there were 10 FOD cocktail parties, if that should interest you.

J & K

HI, J and K,

I read a lot about the Millenium, before she made the repositioning crossing in november, the TA was shortend 2 days. So did you regonize what they have done in dry- dock- new carpenting or something? This upcoming TA is my 5 th. X cruise, I was a real RCI - fan before I met X - and the ships were new of course, but spotlessly clean all over the place.

Since that I am a loyal X- cruiser- LOL.

I love those many sea days- most relaxing.

Greetings

Michael

Thanks for the feedback. I've read some negative things about Millennium post-drydock, but I think the sewage smell problems have been resolved.

Although I still haven't booked it, we've actually decided to take the Noordam transatlantic departing from NYC on 4/15/06. It's a brand new ship, the itinerary is a little better, and we don't anticipate having the dining issues we've read about with Celebrity. My only concern with HAL is that their ships impress me as a bit dark and gaudy, not light and airy like Princess, RCCL or Celebrity.

Hi Steve,

I have heard Hal- ships are really nice, dark woodwork of course- but nice- I read D. Wards Berlitz Guide - he considers Celebrity as the best Permium cruise line. But a new ship is always great. Even the Millenium was brand new, when I sailed on her in early 2001.

Anyway I wish you a really great trip and lots of fun.

Greetings

Michael

I still haven't committed to the Noordam on 4/15/06. The Millennium transatlantic was my first choice for a long time and may still win.

Anyone know what was done during the recent drydock in November? Were the cabin furnishings or bedding updated?

Steve

I have read here in cruise critic one some board, that some of the carpets where changed, I am aware of no more details though! As I mentioned before Milli is real great ship. I love the Speciality Restaurant " Olympic" ! I loved to get real china cups in the Cova Cafe.... I could go further on. Can´t wait to get back to her!

Greetings

Michael

Michael.....Not having sailed on the Mille before I really can't tell you what updating and changes were made while the ship was in dry-dock...nothing to compare too. Be assured that everything was in top condition, though. Our CC balcony cabin was plushly furnished, although I don't think anything was brand new. We didn't hear anything about the sewerage problem while we were aboard ship, so it must have been somewhat isolated. I agree, the Olympic restaurant is gorgeous!

We too love sea days. In fact, I just booked a 15 night Hawaii cruise (plenty of sea days) on the Island Princess for the March 22 sailing. We will be traveling with 2 friends that don't know yet that we are booked, nor do they have any idea that we intended to book since we did this exact cruise a year ago....surprise, surprise! Any other readers out there going with us???...I started a thread.

Jerry (and Kirk)

Hi,

Celebrity is famous for keeping their ships extremly well up. So I guess we can expect not many signs of wear and tear.

Wish you and your bf a great time on your Hawaiitour- it is pretty close, just a few weeks ahead. Muuuuuuuuuch longer for me to wait until April.

Greetings

Michael

• 2 months later...

Archived