Using iMessage on iPhone for texts on board

Can you use your iPhone to iMessage others without charges? Our son and I both have iPhone 6

Thanks, Margee

You would have to purchase the ship's internet access for the phones.

Edited by clarea

You will get a message from your provider about how much text messages with cost when you are out of range. Verzon is I think .05 to send and .50 to receive. Once you are at sea I don't think you can use your unlimited internet without purchasing Royal's plan. On was on Carnival last year and they have limited internet access for 25 dollars a week and a bit more for more access. That doesn't help Royal Caribbean customers. Hoping Royal will follow.

You will get a message from your provider about how much text messages with cost when you are out of range. Verzon is I think .05 to send and .50 to receive. Once you are at sea I don't think you can use your unlimited internet without purchasing Royal's plan. On was on Carnival last year and they have limited internet access for 25 dollars a week and a bit more for more access. That doesn't help Royal Caribbean customers. Hoping Royal will follow.

In case it makes a difference to the OP, it's the opposite, $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive.

I'd recommend untethering yourselves from the phones. Leave them in the safe for the duration of the cruise.

Instead, bring post-its and leave handwritten messages either on the door or on the mirror inside the stateroom. Post-its are also a great way to communicate requests to your stateroom attendant whenever away.

We found $1 nautical-themed post-its at the Dollar Store a little while ago. Bought $10 worth as we know they'll be put to good use.

I'd recommend untethering yourselves from the phones. Leave them in the safe for the duration of the cruise.

Instead, bring post-its and leave handwritten messages either on the door or on the mirror inside the stateroom. Post-its are also a great way to communicate requests to your stateroom attendant whenever away.

We found $1 nautical-themed post-its at the Dollar Store a little while ago. Bought $10 worth as we know they'll be put to good use.

In theory, that's a great idea. But I use my phone as my camera, notepad, watch, etc. My phone case also holds my Seapass card. Sometimes it's just not practical to go all the way to the room to write out a note.

In theory, that's a great idea. But I use my phone as my camera, notepad, watch, etc. My phone case also holds my Seapass card. Sometimes it's just not practical to go all the way to the room to write out a note.

Good points!

Can you use your iPhone to iMessage others without charges? Our son and I both have iPhone 6

Thanks, Margee

Yes. Did this on Allure a few months ago. Both phones will have to be connected to Wifi, which means purchasing Voom. You will not be able to text with non-iMessage users. Some carriers have phone/data/messaging plans for cruise ships. If you have Verizon I believe they have a pretty good deal through RCCL.

My wife and I did this to communicate while we were on different parts of the ship. It worked quite well.

As an aside, a few ships I've been on (NCL Epic and Anthem of the Seas) seemed to have some holes in their wifi to accommodate the ship's app, and I was able to use very limited functions without paying for shipboard wifi. In fact, my iMessage was working on the Anthem until 24 hours into the cruise - and no charge for the wifi.

On the NCL Epic, I was getting random notifications from Facebook and my weather app and such. Again, not logged into the ship's wifi and I had my phone in airplane mode.

Might be worth checking onboard your ship to see if there's a wifi "hole" before paying! ;)

As an aside, a few ships I've been on (NCL Epic and Anthem of the Seas) seemed to have some holes in their wifi to accommodate the ship's app, and I was able to use very limited functions without paying for shipboard wifi. In fact, my iMessage was working on the Anthem until 24 hours into the cruise - and no charge for the wifi.

On the NCL Epic, I was getting random notifications from Facebook and my weather app and such. Again, not logged into the ship's wifi and I had my phone in airplane mode.

Might be worth checking onboard your ship to see if there's a wifi "hole" before paying! ;)

Nice to know, I'll give it a try next cruise.

Thanks, Bob

I was afraid of that. I've got plenty of free internet, but son doesn't. I've never used Voom Hope that will help. Going on Liberty in May.

Margee

The Voom internet is great. On the Oasis I bought an unlimited internet for two devices (to share with my daughter) and used my D+ discount. My husband did the same to share with our son. We hated being attached to our cell phones during our cruise but it was great at the same time. The Oasis is a big ship and this way we were able to communicate with our teenage children all the time. Our next cruise is with Celebrity and we got an offer with unlimited internet for everyone. :)

On anthem, my husband and I both were able to text and make phone calls to (each other only) through the Royal IQ ap. It cost us each $7.95 for the entire week and was well worth it.

A much better deal than buying the ship's internet for the week.

Yes. Did this on Allure a few months ago. Both phones will have to be connected to Wifi, which means purchasing Voom. You will not be able to text with non-iMessage users. Some carriers have phone/data/messaging plans for cruise ships. If you have Verizon I believe they have a pretty good deal through RCCL.

My wife and I did this to communicate while we were on different parts of the ship. It worked quite well.

Voom Internet service is fantastic and affordable, compared to what it used to be. We used it on Allure a few weeks ago. My wife and I used iMessage without any issues.

Voom internet on Oasis was great, seemed just as fast as my home network. Could do everything without delays and SO much better than what it used to be onboard. Just a side note--if you're trying to text people who do not have iMessage, there are many free reputable apps that will allow you to send text messages to non-iMessage users using the ship's wifi.

In fact, I highly recommend putting your phone on airplane mode the entire trip and just turning wifi on. This way you can use iMessage and other text-messaging apps without fear of getting extra charges from your carrier.

Edited by jaredgold33

I was afraid of that. I've got plenty of free internet, but son doesn't. I've never used Voom Hope that will help. Going on Liberty in May.

Unless there has been an update that I missed, Voom not be installed until sometime in June. We were hoping it would be done during drydock. :(

On anthem, my husband and I both were able to text and make phone calls to (each other only) through the Royal IQ ap. It cost us each $7.95 for the entire week and was well worth it.

Wait - does IQ only let you chat with people in the same stateroom? I thought you could use it to chat with any other passenger if you got the communication add on?

Wait - does IQ only let you chat with people in the same stateroom? I thought you could use it to chat with any other passenger if you got the communication add on?

Matt, you can call (which the phone will vibrate *only*) or text any passenger on board provided each guest purchases the communication add on through the Royal IQ app. In January on Anthem the charge to communicate on board for 10 nights was $14.95. On my 8 night sailing on Anthem in February, the charge was $7.95. Don't know how much it will be on the 3 Nighter.

Matt, you can call (which the phone will vibrate *only*) or text any passenger on board provided each guest purchases the communication add on through the Royal IQ app. In January on Anthem the charge to communicate on board for 10 nights was $14.95. On my 8 night sailing on Anthem in February, the charge was $7.95. Don't know how much it will be on the 3 Nighter.

Perfect. Thanks!