Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

San Juan

Because of its relative closeness, we got to San Juan early. Our cabin was on port side, which translated to dockside in San Juan. We awoke to the backup beeping the people vans make when backing away from the parking spots. Our cabin was in the front of the ship where these all que up waiting for people with excursions.

We have been to San Juan a bunch of times. It has a lot to offer as a port of call, but we decided to spend the day on the ship. We spent the majority of the day at the main pool, before heading over the the water park and another go at the ropes course after lunch. There was maybe 15 people in the pool in the morning, pretty much had it to ourselves.

.... and now it is time for my second complaint (there are some here who would not believe I could have any with Carnival;)). Breaking our normal routine, instead of going to the Red Frog for a cocktail before dinner, we went down to the Atrium Bar. To be honest, it was fairly crowded, but I asked who wanted what and meandered up to the bar where I waited to order. I did notice there was only one bartender and one server. I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes (I did have eye contact with her twice) before I said screw it and we skipped the drink in went into the MDR (where I promptly ordered a double from the MDR bar waitress (guess I showed them....:confused:).

I made it a point to voice my displeasure with this resource allocation with both my survey and an email to a senior mgt chap I know who said he would vet it up the line.

That evening dinner was good as usual, it is kind of funny how you get into a comfort zone with the staff. They work hard to pick up on your wants and desires in regards to dinner and this was group was not an exception to that.

One of the things I kind of do is track the view I have of how they (and others) service their tables, who shows up for dinner and who does not and also my pet peeve, who come into the MDR 20 minutes after dinner has started. This cruise was pretty much everyone getting in there on time. This is certainly more meaningful on early seating as compared to late seating. There was one booth who never came that was assigned to our team.

The assistant Maitre'd (I cannot remember her name, but she had ours-computers help there) stopped over a couple of times and asked if everything was OK,and this night was one of those times.

One of those things I did not see on this cruise was the Magician wandering around from table to table. After dinner we caught part of the dive in movie and made an early night of it.

Next up San Juan

Funny you say that- this is the one cruise we did have the magician visit our table. We did anytime dining every night, but only saw him the one time.

Enjoying your review! I was hesitant going on the Sunshine, but I really enjoyed it. There were some things I didn't like ( crowds in the pool and Serenity areas and the so-so live bands) but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

Funny you say that- this is the one cruise we did have the magician visit our table. We did anytime dining every night, but only saw him the one time.

Enjoying your review! I was hesitant going on the Sunshine, but I really enjoyed it. There were some things I didn't like ( crowds in the pool and Serenity areas and the so-so live bands) but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

Thanks for the kind words, about the review, we enjoyed the Sunshine as well. We did see the Magician on our last trip on her in August, but there is a lot of ground to cover. The band on this trip was different from the last time. We thought the singers were OK, the female was just filling in but thought the guitar player was great.

Edited by jimbo5544

Very nice sunset pictures. Your grandchildren look so cute all dressed up, too!

Heather

Thanks for the comment on the Sunset pictures, I probably have another 50 or 60 from the cruise and near a thousand all together.... The grand kids had a blast, thanks for the nice words on them as well.

Love Carson and Leah....love your pictures and everyone's comments. The live post for Maho was a thrill a few minutes ago.

(Dad made it back up and out the Canyon..last night...he did the 2 day ride and is safe and had a blast...whew...he did the Phantom Lodge one)

This review is great with an honest view of what to expect..so glad your family got better digs and you could all share around and pace it perfectly...

Glad you told them at the bar counter...this half hr plus was what I had a lot of on Spirit Easter 2012...I will go for assigned seating and plan differently and well if it is Carnival next time...

Great sunset pics and just love San Juan pics..what a place...hope they get this latest mosquito virus tackled soon...for the mothers and babies..

Again thanks for such a great overview.

This cruise def had more people than our last. The main pool area was really full on sea day. Serenity we found to come and go with open spots.

Edited by jimbo5544