QM2 High Balcony vs Sheltered Balcony

BuckGood

Hi folks, we are looking at doing a TA from Southhampton-NYC in November and would like any suggestions on doing a Sheltered Balcony on 6th deck or doing a High deck balcony?

Thank You in advance!

For a TA in November I think you would get more use out of a sheltered balcony.

We've been in high deck cabins with balconies several times and loved them. But on the last trip I met people who had a sheltered balcony. They loved it… said it was almost like an extra room… they had breakfast there every morning.

(This was in late September.)

1. The sheltered "balconies" (Decks 4,5,6) are slightly larger (deeper) than the normal glass-fronted balconies on the higher decks.

2. You'd also feel any movement (on a November transatlantic) less if your cabin was lower down within the hull, as opposed to being higher in the superstructure of the ship.

3. The sheltered "balconies" are exactly that; sheltered from wind and spray, more so than the higher balconies.

4. In November you may find it is too cold to spend much time sitting around for long periods on either type. When I've had balcony cabins on a transatlantic crossing I've used them for a breath of air; even wrapped up, on many occasions I wasn't out there for very long.

5. As has been mentioned, the sheltered "balconies" feel more like an additional room to the cabin, rather than a traditional glass-fronted balcony.

Whichever you decide to book, have the most superb time on board, Bon Voyage! :)

In the WELCOME TO THE CUNARD BOARD sticky at the top of this board, there is a link to the Cunard website with pictures of the sheltered balconies.

I am not a big fan of them but they can be useful in poor weather.

Thank you.

Not committed yet, but may be our first foray into Cunard. Not many Sydney to Sydney cruises offered with Cunard, and Mrs Gut isn't allowed fly.

The sheltered Balconys are inside the steel hull. This makes the cabin rather dark opposed to the high Balconys. Something to consider.

If you look at a picture of Queen Mary 2 the sheltered Balconys are below the lifeboats, the three rows of holes in the steel hull.

... I am not a big fan of them but they can be useful in poor weather.
On a "warm water" or tropical cruise I wouldn't hesitate to book a traditional glass-fronted balcony cabin/suite on a higher deck (Decks 8-13).

But on the North Atlantic I'm not sure I'd get much use out of one :) (prefer a balcony cabin on Decks 4-6).

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

We have only done one TA and we were able to spend time on our glass balcony. It was January and there was snow in both New York and Southampton but we had sun on the North Atlantic. It was warm enough to eat breakfast out there and we missed a lecture to sit in the sun (no blankets required).

We have only done one TA and we were able to spend time on our glass balcony. It was January and there was snow in both New York and Southampton but we had sun on the North Atlantic. It was warm enough to eat breakfast out there and we missed a lecture to sit in the sun (no blankets required).
Marvellous :) ! That is great to read, I must have been unlucky :(.

On my winter crossings (x2) the weather was foul; storms and then cold, thick fog! When the sun did come out (briefly) we were zipping along at such a speed (to make up lost time) that passengers were nearly blown down the promenade! I saw no-one on the balconies above the promenade, just people walking/huddled up in thick coats and then dashing back indoors.

Very pleased to read that you were much more fortunate than me!

Edited by pepperrn

Sheltered was on QM2 in Dec And Jan I like a balcony even if I never sit on it just like to be able to open a door.

In bad weather, we had bad, The decks were closed off for the majority of the trip

Walking along deck 11 was very noisy wind and quite awkward and bumpy to walk.

Felt sorry for all those people paying Grills ��

We were on 4 and even then sometimes it could be dangerous for some who were not very agile, having said that its still great.

If you suffer travel sickness then also low and Bonnine in yor tummy

Edited by electra2008

I would be more concerned about the location - higher deck versus lower deck. If motion sickness is a possibility then you definitely want a cabin on a lower deck (the lower the better). The QM2 does a superb job of handling high seas but up top you definitely notice the roll.

I would be more concerned about the location - higher deck versus lower deck. If motion sickness is a possibility then you definitely want a cabin on a lower deck (the lower the better). The QM2 does a superb job of handling high seas but up top you definitely notice the roll.

Funnily the roll doesn't bother Mrs Gut as much as the pitch.

We travelled on QM2 from Hong Kong to Brisbane last year and because we booked late we were allocated a sheltered balcony.

This was a very hot weather cruise but we didn't like the closed in feeling. We both like sitting on our balcony to read and watch the water and obviously we couldn't do that on this cruise. When I looked up from my book all I saw was a metal wall :). In addition, the rail is rather high and even standing I couldn't look straight down to the ocean. We much prefer the glass sided balconies but of course it depends what you like. There were a couple of occasions when the balcony was unusable due to the sun but this would happen regardless of what type of balcony you had.

I would think that on a TA or a cold weather cruise the sheltered balconies would be great but for any other type of journey I would much prefer glass sided.

Keep in mind that if you sit in the chairs of a sheltered balcony, you cannot see anything but the sky. There is nothing attractive about the sheltered balcony itself, very industrial. However, it is sheltered from the elements. We had this balcony on deck 4, but spent all of our time on the Promenade deck and had fabulous weather on our TA in August.

Worthy of consideration perhaps is the status of various decks after the re-fit. A discussion on that topic can be found on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2260473&highlight=qm2+refit

Bottom line:

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following grades in 2016 dry dock:

• All Grills Suites

• All Britannia Club balconies on Deck 12

• All Britannia Balconies on Deck 12, Deck 11 and Deck 8

• All Britannia Obstructed Balconies on Deck 8

• BU/BV Grades of Britannia Sheltered balconies on Deck 6

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service over 2017:

• Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6

• All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5

• All Britannia Ocean Views

• All Britannia Atrium Views

• All Britannia Insides

Edited by Salacia

I absolutely love the sheltered balconies! The first time, we booked last minute for a November TA and a sheltered balcony was all that was available. I was not too happy but I have become a great fan. On that crossing and the return in December, the decks were closed for a few days at a time because of the weather and rough seas. Several people on higher decks with glass door balconies told us that they could not open the door because of the wind. The sheltered balcony enabled us to go out - no suntanning mind you- with our coats on to get some fresh air. It was great!!!

I have occupied both sheltered and open balconies.

I prefer the open balconies on Deck 11 that are forward of the Deck 12 overhang, but no far forward than 11023 (port) 11014 (starboard).

I enjoy having a view of the sea from within the cabin, whereas the sheltered balcony only affords a view of the sea while standing.

I have done crossings in January on Deck 11. It was windy with spray at times; nevertheless, nice for a breath of fresh air.

The cabins on Deck 11 which I have occupied on Norway cruises and Caribbean cruises were particularly enjoyable in terms of the views they afforded, especially while sailing through the fjords and along the Norwegian coast.

While balconies are nice, I'm a traditionalist who prefers getting out and about walking, getting fresh air, or relaxing in a deck chair on the splendid Boat Deck (Deck 7) on Queen Mary 2.

Worthy of consideration perhaps is the status of various decks after the re-fit. A discussion on that topic can be found on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2260473&highlight=qm2+refit

Bottom line:

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following grades in 2016 dry dock:

• All Grills Suites

• All Britannia Club balconies on Deck 12

• All Britannia Balconies on Deck 12, Deck 11 and Deck 8

• All Britannia Obstructed Balconies on Deck 8

• BU/BV Grades of Britannia Sheltered balconies on Deck 6

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service over 2017:

• Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6

• All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5

• All Britannia Ocean Views

• All Britannia Atrium Views

• All Britannia Insides

I've seen this info before on another thread, but it's good that you posted it here. Refit schedules tend to be optimistic.:rolleyes:

I love the sheltered balconies for TAs. We choose a south-facing cabin and are able to sit outside much of the time, even when it's chilly or windy. I've had one for a Caribbean cruise, too, and was happy there.

But for our next cruise this summer, we've booked one of the high glass-front balconies. Even though the deck 6 BV/BU cabins are SUPPOSED to be finished by then, there could be work just down the hall. The thought of the smell of carpet glue made me go for the higher grade cabin. When the refit is finished I may go back down to the sheltered balcony.

We travelled on QM2 from Hong Kong to Brisbane last year and because we booked late we were allocated a sheltered balcony.

This was a very hot weather cruise but we didn't like the closed in feeling. We both like sitting on our balcony to read and watch the water and obviously we couldn't do that on this cruise. When I looked up from my book all I saw was a metal wall :). In addition, the rail is rather high and even standing I couldn't look straight down to the ocean. We much prefer the glass sided balconies but of course it depends what you like. There were a couple of occasions when the balcony was unusable due to the sun but this would happen regardless of what type of balcony you had.

I would think that on a TA or a cold weather cruise the sheltered balconies would be great but for any other type of journey I would much prefer glass sided.

Think you are spot on Bronte.

We did a TA NY-S a couple of years ago in late November. It got 'interesting' mid Atlantic when two storms met and we had 30' swells. The seasoned TA'ers were getting really excited and the QM2 really did handle it well.

Thankfully we had a sheltered balcony on Deck 4 Aft and even during the storm it really was sheltered. It was nice to get outside (top decks and promenade were restricted) you still felt safe and quiet snug :) However as others have said if you sit out you can really only see the sky because of the metal frontage.

Whatever you choose hope you enjoy.