Radiance

Newby58

? ? ?

I was of the understanding that Beverages Packages were only available for a minimum of 4 days ie. at least a 4 day cruise.

EDIT: Yup: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Drink&faqId=5925

Nope, unfortunately. Another case of RCI changing their policy and not updating the website. We had a friend trying RCI for the first time on the recent 3 nighter on Explorer. She could not believe the amount of drunks and how long it took to get drinks at the bars. I think it would be a great idea to not have the drink packages on the 3 nighters. Get them back on track as sampler cruises and forget the booze cruise reputation. They are really doing big damage to the brand. We were on the cruise before the 3 nighter and the staff were talking about how much they were dreading the booze cruise.

Nope, unfortunately. Another case of RCI changing their policy and not updating the website. We had a friend trying RCI for the first time on the recent 3 nighter on Explorer. She could not believe the amount of drunks and how long it took to get drinks at the bars. I think it would be a great idea to not have the drink packages on the 3 nighters. Get them back on track as sampler cruises and forget the booze cruise reputation. They are really doing big damage to the brand. We were on the cruise before the 3 nighter and the staff were talking about how much they were dreading the booze cruise.

Exactly - you can't really compare the 2 & 3 nighters as they are notorious for attracting a different crowd - lots of party animals, younger people & heavy drinkers.

I've never had issues to date on any of the 6 non sampler cruises I've on with Royal with getting served at the bar or unruly passengers. the only long lines have been at the coffee shop & I don't drink coffee - so not a problem for me.:D

We are about to embark on our 10th RC cruise.

We have cruised on Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager and soon Explorer.

Note: we have just one cruise on Radiance so far - NZ in Jan/Feb '13

We consider Radiance the best ship for many of the reasons people have given. We love the 'glass', the area aft of the WJ, the colony club layout, the schooner bar size and layout & it just seems very 'roomy' being that much bigger then Vision class, without that many more passengers. We also prefer the atrium style rather than the promenade style.

We have found food and service to be comparable on all RC ships. The only issue in that regard was on the 3N Voyager, when the drink package people put a lot of pressure on beverage service.:)

We would go on Rhapsody again in an instant.

Bar service was frantic all cruise on those 3 night cruises.

Exactly - you can't really compare the 2 & 3 nighters as they are notorious for attracting a different crowd - lots of party animals, younger people & heavy drinkers.

I've never had issues to date on any of the 6 non sampler cruises I've on with Royal with getting served at the bar or unruly passengers. the only long lines have been at the coffee shop & I don't drink coffee - so not a problem for me.:D

That is where the Diamond lounge is so good on those booze cruises. Quiet and no queues as they bring the drinks to you.:D

That is where the Diamond lounge is so good on those booze cruises. Quiet and no queues as they bring the drinks to you.:D

I wonder if the staff vie for the DL shifts on those short cruises? It would be like heaven in the DL compared to the public bars on those cruises.:eek:

I witnessed a lot of bad behaviour on this 3 nighter,more than other short cruises I have been on. My friends are not big boozers and just wanted the convenience of ordering without signing etc. I don't know if RCL would stop the drink packages on the short cruises as they would have made a fortune despite people cancelling.

I don't do the packages as I drink very little alcohol due to taking medication for chronic pain. I just have a very weak G and T in the Diamond Lounge and as Mic said it was very pleasant in there.

Elaine.

Exactly and this is what I tried to tell my friends but I suppose first impressions are everything.

Exactly and this is what I tried to tell my friends but I suppose first impressions are everything.

Yep - good old halo effect in play. Something I was trying to point out in another thread, but didn't it go down so well. ;):D

Hopefully your friends will come around once the traumatic memories have subsided. :)

Yep - good old halo effect in play. Something I was trying to point out in another thread, but didn't it go down so well. ;):D

Hopefully your friends will come around once the traumatic memories have subsided. :)

No, you were talking about 3/4 pants and short hair, I was talking about behaviour which is different. I have no interest in what people wear or how they style their hair. I try hard not to judge people on appearance as I am no oil painting myself!

I witnessed a lot of bad behaviour on this 3 nighter,more than other short cruises I have been on. My friends are not big boozers and just wanted the convenience of ordering without signing etc. I don't know if RCL would stop the drink packages on the short cruises as they would have made a fortune despite people cancelling.

I don't do the packages as I drink very little alcohol due to taking medication for chronic pain. I just have a very weak G and T in the Diamond Lounge and as Mic said it was very pleasant in there.

Elaine.

Cruising isn't for everyone and if your friends didn't like it so be it. They will just have to keep watching you sail away.:cool:

No, you were talking about 3/4 pants and short hair, I was talking about behaviour which is different. I have no interest in what people wear or how they style their hair. I try hard not to judge people on appearance as I am no oil painting myself!

Oh well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree that the halo effect takes place at a mostly subtle subconscious level in all of us, whether we acknowledge it or not - a reaction to how people look, dress, speak or behave, it's still all the same process in play. But this instinctive assessment doesn't make someone less worthy or less interesting, it's just human nature & as a logical analytical thinker I find it absolutely fascinating, but seems I'm in the minority! :)

Anyhow, hope your friends give Royal another chance at some stage.

Cruising isn't for everyone and if your friends didn't like it so be it. They will just have to keep watching you sail away.:cool:

They prefer Carnival. I'm going on a 3 nighter on Carnival in August so it will be interesting to compare.

I did sneak them into the Diamond Lounge early one morning and they were impressed.

Elaine.

They prefer Carnival. I'm going on a 3 nighter on Carnival in August so it will be interesting to compare.

I did sneak them into the Diamond Lounge early one morning and they were impressed.

Elaine.

tsk, tsk. Very naughty of you.

Now that is probably why they don't want to cruise RCI. they are jealous and realise it would take them a long time to get to your level.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

We are debating about going Radiance again. The beautiful glass everywhere and the Park Cafe, better Schooner bar (in our opinion compared to Voyager class ships), several things that we give Radiance a tick for.

We have seen pictures on-line lately and it looks like a bit of rust is showing, and the rails need a varnish. Those things can leave a big impression when you are living near them every day on the cruise. These pictures were not of those issues, they were in the background of general pictures.

We hear a lot of complaints on all the RCI ships (not just in Aus) on cut backs in bar staff. That is an obvious area where they are balancing selling the packages against providing the drinks, and we are sad, as people that pay as we go, to not see the staff wandering around like in the old days (3-5 years ago!). But hey, it doesn't take long to wander up to a bar really. It was just part of feeling spoilt.

We may just have to decide to lower our expectations in some areas, balancing out the fares compared to services offered.

One thing they can't take away is how relaxing it is to sit and look at the seas :)

On Radiance, you can do that anywhere! So special.

That happens a lot, sometimes a review is more about who wrote it then what really happened. But, it can also be about what you expectations were and who you run into on the cruise. Lots of time when I read a poor review cruise it seem like they are nit picking, and if you want a five star cruise you need to book and pay for the five star cruise (big bucks).

We had a fantastic time on Radiance. I posted a review. Then I read other reviews and thought we were on different ships.

Sooo, I wasn't imaging things, it was harder to get a bar attendant at your table. I think they sell more drinks when they stop by my table. I also make sure to tip extra and they are more likely to come over. One night I even got given a free drink because they thought they kept us waiting too long (just this last Feb.) nice! I think they have it wrong there.

On Radiance, you can do that anywhere! So special.

I have only been on one cruise and it was on Radiance. We went from Fremantle to Sydney last November.

I must say I was impressed with the ship but have nothing to compare it. There were signs of age and that is to be expected though the maintenance was very good.

The staff were excellent and found Steve Davis to be very interactive. I had a bit to do with him (I offered to do some lectures) and he was approachable and helpful. I do not have any experience of the bar staff as we did not use any of them on the cruise. They could not have been too slow judging by the number of drunks around the ship.

The food was better than expected considering the number of covers. You cannot compare dining in that situation to a smaller restaurant. Cannot remember anything which was poor and quite a few things excelled. We liked the Chef's Table and Izumi.

Maybe having a Junior Suite helped giving a good impression as we enjoyed having a large private space with a good balcony.

Overall we found the cruise better than we expected. Having said that it may well be a one off and be our only cruise too, but that has nothing to do with the Radiance.