Who would prefer more sea days and less port stops?

LMaxwell

I'm in the camp that likes port days, we cruise to see different countries and islands. A sea day here and there is nice and I enjoy them IF and only if the seas are calm and the sun is out and warm. My biggest problem is I hate it when the seas are rockin' and rollin' and that can happen anywhere, including in the Caribbean. Inclement weather and rough seas on a sea day is pure misery for me. So I only chance one sea day at a time if possible.

I sail for the ports. I'll be dead soon enough so I want to see as much as possible while I am among the living. No, seriously, if I wanted to hang around, I'd stay at an all inclusive. I'm totally fascinated by all the new ports that I am privileged to visit on my travels.:)

I like days at sea, so I'm hoping that longer trips will be an option for us in the near future, although my job gives a lot more vacation time than DW. Someone mentioned the Hawaii trip which begins and ends with several days at sea - I wish there were something like that from a port in Florida!

A TA may be next, although I find airports a hassle, not to mention the cost just to get to the start of (or back from) the voyage.

Ports of call eventually have a dulling effect on me. The shops may be offering the finest jewelry, etc., but their presence is tawdry. Especially just after experiencing the natural beauty of the ocean. As for excursions, well, for me, boarding the ship is the excursion. ;)

The visual expanse and the sounds of the ocean will be both peaceful and invigorating. More days at sea? Yes, please!

I sail for the ports. I'll be dead soon enough so I want to see as much as possible while I am among the living. No, seriously, if I wanted to hang around, I'd stay at an all inclusive. I'm totally fascinated by all the new ports that I am privileged to visit on my travels.:)

Your comment about the all-inclusive is interesting. I love sea days, love crossings. I can be happy to sit in a deck chair and pretend to read while I watch the ocean go by.

I cannot imagine booking one of those resorts where there's nothing to do but sit in a beach chair. It sounds so boring to me. Maybe it's because the ship is going somewhere. Even though I'm not stoking the engines or steering the ship, being on the ship satisfies my need to accomplish something, to be going somewhere.

I like days at sea, so I'm hoping that longer trips will be an option for us in the near future, although my job gives a lot more vacation time than DW. Someone mentioned the Hawaii trip which begins and ends with several days at sea - I wish there were something like that from a port in Florida!

A TA may be next, although I find airports a hassle, not to mention the cost just to get to the start of (or back from) the voyage.

Ports of call eventually have a dulling effect on me. The shops may be offering the finest jewelry, etc., but their presence is tawdry. Especially just after experiencing the natural beauty of the ocean. As for excursions, well, for me, boarding the ship is the excursion. ;)

The visual expanse and the sounds of the ocean will be both peaceful and invigorating. More days at sea? Yes, please!

A TA is worth the flight, especially if the flight is first and the crossing is going home. (plus westbound, you get those 5 extra hours!)

I agree about the shopping, especially in the Caribbean. I just run the gauntlet as quickly as I can and try to get to the real island.

Having Cruised many times out of Florida to the Caribbean with multiple visits to Most of the common ports. I've almost gotten to where the ship is my destination. Anymore we don't even get off the ship at Nassau stops. Several years ago there was a three night sailing to nowhere out of Tampa on the Ryndam it was an enjoyable cruise.

I cruise for the ports, but do enjoy the occasional sea day. However, I wouldn't be happy on a cruise that had more than a two sea days in a week. One would be better. :D

I also don't like the shorter port times HAL seems to have in some ports. I often want to have as long as possible in port and when I see itineraries where HAL is leaving port at 5:00 pm and others not until 7:00 or 7:30, I am unlikely to choose HAL...

I have noticed this trend on other lines as well. Worse is the line that cuts ports and substitutes late nights in places where there's not much to do in the evening.

We like a good mix of sea and port days. We travel for the destinations but enjoy the ship's activities on sea days. Would love alternate days...good for me to rest aching joints after activity, lol.

We have enjoyed several TAs; Transpacific not so much. Our last Pacific cruise had a few ports at the beginning and then none for many days back to Vancouver. It was cold and the Celebrity ship was packed, especially after it became too cold for folks to be out on the pool deck. A lot of people including me became sick with upper respiratory illness. Won't do that again.

Took a beautiful 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Rotterdam, round trip San Diego. No problem with the weather or illness that time. Ports were wonderful but the six days back to San Diego at the end were not enjoyable. This was at the time the Costa ship went down and it became evident that there would be no Coast Guard nearby for rescue if needed. Plus no way to evacuate people off the ship due to illnesses or death in the family. Both of these things happened. In fact the captain told people in Hawaii to disembark if they thought they were ill or might become ill. Several left at that time. We knew one man who became very ill but was able to evacuate in Tahiti. No place to evacuate after that. People were out counting life boat capacities. Unlike TAs, we saw almost no other ships as we made our way island to island and back to San Diego. Only place where there were many ships was Tahiti. At sea I saw ONE ship the entire time we were out of port.

Glad I did that cruise to see the ports but hesitate to take another one like it.

A TA is worth the flight, especially if the flight is first and the crossing is going home. (plus westbound, you get those 5 extra hours!)

Thanks for the advice - I've often wondered which order is best (sail before flight or vice versa). I'll be looking into options on HAL and maybe Cunard, along with other considerations like Autumn weather and airfare.

I have noticed this trend on other lines as well. Worse is the line that cuts ports and substitutes late nights in places where there's not much to do in the evening.

We like a good mix of sea and port days. We travel for the destinations but enjoy the ship's activities on sea days. Would love alternate days...good for me to rest aching joints after activity, lol.

We have enjoyed several TAs; Transpacific not so much. Our last Pacific cruise had a few ports at the beginning and then none for many days back to Vancouver. It was cold and the Celebrity ship was packed, especially after it became too cold for folks to be out on the pool deck. A lot of people including me became sick with upper respiratory illness. Won't do that again.

Took a beautiful 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Rotterdam, round trip San Diego. No problem with the weather or illness that time. Ports were wonderful but the six days back to San Diego at the end were not enjoyable. This was at the time the Costa ship went down and it became evident that there would be no Coast Guard nearby for rescue if needed. Plus no way to evacuate people off the ship due to illnesses or death in the family. Both of these things happened. In fact the captain told people in Hawaii to disembark if they thought they were ill or might become ill. Several left at that time. We knew one man who became very ill but was able to evacuate in Tahiti. No place to evacuate after that. People were out counting life boat capacities. Unlike TAs, we saw almost no other ships as we made our way island to island and back to San Diego. Only place where there were many ships was Tahiti. At sea I saw ONE ship the entire time we were out of port.

Glad I did that cruise to see the ports but hesitate to take another one like it.

Last year I cancelled a S. Pacific cruise mainly due to my fears of some of the things you mention, given my DH has some health issues. I have regretted cancelling a lot since then, but reading your report reminded me of why.

Good post.

Gives sound reasons to carefully consider such a cruise.

There can be a risk in getting away from it all, but I guess that's part of the thrill one feels that morning of departure, or even the moment the fare is paid.

Sea days! Sea days! Sea days!

Sleeping as late as I want, not having to deal with tender lines, my cash and cards resting peacefully in the safe instead of in someone else's pockets, not having to worry about getting back to the ship in time, relaxing on my veranda with a half bottle of wine and watching for whales or dolphins or flying fish, aaaaaaaaahhhhh!

I am on land every day of my life--it's the sea for me!

I have stayed onboard at certain ports of call and had a relaxing day; but there's just an entirely different vibe and level of relaxation and carefree feeling to a sea day. So I don't see staying on at port and a sea day as the same thing. Laying in a chair listening to waves and watching the ocean is mesmerizing. I have never done a long string of sea days, maybe I'd feel differently after a week straight of them...

Hi LMaxwell: I enjoy Sea days hanging out on the Promenade deck as close as I can be to the bow hanging over taking pictures of what ever I can see Flying Fish, Dolphins, whales, black masked Boobies diving and catching fish I have posted some of my pictures in Photo Gallery

Hi LMaxwell: I enjoy Sea days hanging out on the Promenade deck as close as I can be to the bow hanging over taking pictures of what ever I can see Flying Fish, Dolphins, whales, black masked Boobies diving and catching fish I have posted some of my pictures in Photo Gallery

That sounds interesting and something I'd like to see. Can you please provide a link to the photo gallery?