Flying home from port with scooter ?

mommom of 7

I have been looking at the repo cruise from Tampa to Baltimore.

We cruise on Carnival & both have GOGO Scooters. :confused:

But have never flown with them. How does the whole thing work? Do they take them at check in? Will they be waiting for us at the gate when we land?

I'm so nervous about this but we really want to do this cruise because it goes to the canal.

Anyone out there that can give us details. We fly SW.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Char :)

I have been looking at the repo cruise from Tampa to Baltimore.

We cruise on Carnival & both have GOGO Scooters. :confused:

But have never flown with them. How does the whole thing work? Do they take them at check in? Will they be waiting for us at the gate when we land?

I'm so nervous about this but we really want to do this cruise because it goes to the canal.

Anyone out there that can give us details. We fly SW.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Char :)

Usually you are asked to drive the scooter to the gate and then to the plane. At that point the staff takes the scooter and puts it in the hold. After arrival you are usually asked to remain on board until everyone is off and then you deplane and get your scooter right outside the door so that you can drive it to baggage claim.

DON'T WORRY!!!

Life is so much simpler taking the scooter all the way to the gate. When going through security you'll by pass the regular line, but you will require special screening. Sometimes it can take a few minutes for them to get a security person of the right gender to do the check. It's a quick pat down and they'll swab your scooter. Nothing horrible. When you get to the gate just let the staff know you're on scooters and they'll tag them for gate check and have you board first. Leave the scooter right at the entrance to the plane and get on (they can assist if needed). When done you will typically be last off since they have to bring it back up from the storage under the plane. Grab the scooter and go. I find it so easy that I will not hesitate to fly solo.

We flew Southwest from Milwaukee to Ft.Lauderdale we got to the airport the standard 2 hours before our flight, because of my wifes disabilty we passed through the long lines at security, and got through security in about 5 mins vs a 45 min wait, got to the gate, my wife transferred to a manual wheelchair and her Jazzy Scooter had dry cell batteries so no issue, I just switched the power below off, so that the scooter could be manually pushed by the staff to the plane hold.

When we got to Ft.Lauderdale we waited about 10 minutes by the gate for them to bring the scooter to the gate. not a problem.

My sister flies all the time with her scooter (current scooter is a Luggie). She drives it right to the door of the plane, and it's usually waiting for her when she lands at her destination. Security is usually a shorter trip too as they will pull her aside.

The Vancouver BC airport website has an excellent video on how air ravel with wheelchairs or scooters works. If I knew how to attach a link, I sure would have for you.

I should have mentioned that even though this is a Vancouver BC video....the process is nearly identical at all North America international airports.

Good morning,

I travel with my GoGo Scooter and it is wonderful to be able to drive right up to the gate. I have had no problems but one time in NYC I was flagged for narcotics on a scan! They had swabbed my scooter and pulled me aside for a real good pat down. They were very polite and it was determined the results were due to the pain medications I take.

I always ask to have the scooter included in my reservation as I have been told that the airlines limit the number they can take. I have also been told that is first come first serve so plan on being at check in early.

I always bring my charging cable and if I am waiting to board I charge the batteries. The distances are long at some airports and I would not want to have a low battery. If my batteries are not holding a full charge I try to replace them before a big trip.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy the freedom your wheels will give you.

Smooth sailing and rolling

4boysnana