Princess Vacation Protection

philv

We used to think like that too- we learned better on our very first cruise. For our honeymoon my grandmother bought us a cruise (with her group of senior at the senior center- she liked to plan trips with!)- we did not even think about insurance (we were in our early 20's and it seemed like a lot of money for something we knew we wouldn't use). Just a few days before we were supposed to board our ship we learned that the travel agent had held the payments from the cruiseline and his wife embezzled all the fund (over 3 million) and ran off to South America with her new boyfriend! Everyone with insurance got a refund- we just got a good story instead of a honeymoon cruise- and a lesson about buying insurance!

This is why I will only use a travel agent that has the provider (Princess) charge my card.

We used to think like that too- we learned better on our very first cruise. For our honeymoon my grandmother bought us a cruise (with her group of senior at the senior center- she liked to plan trips with!)- we did not even think about insurance (we were in our early 20's and it seemed like a lot of money for something we knew we wouldn't use). Just a few days before we were supposed to board our ship we learned that the travel agent had held the payments from the cruiseline and his wife embezzled all the fund (over 3 million) and ran off to South America with her new boyfriend! Everyone with insurance got a refund- we just got a good story instead of a honeymoon cruise- and a lesson about buying insurance!

You would know about something like this much earlier these days.

If the cruise line did not receive full payment for you cruise by final payment day your reservation would be cancelled and you would no longer be able to access it on the cruise line web site.

You would still be out the $$$, but you would know about it months in advance.

This is why I will only use a travel agent that has the provider (Princess) charge my card.

Absolutely! As that's the way the only TA I've ever used does it, I have no idea as to the number/percentage of TAs or companies who deposits the money into their own account☹️, then pays (hopefully) the cruise company. Hopefully I'll never run into someone who does that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just read this forum, because I also may have to cancel at the last minute. I purchased the Platinum insurance, and thought I would be issued cruise credits for future use. It sounds like some of you received checks?

By the way, I am REALLY hoping I don't have to cancel - I would much rather go on the cruise! ;) I am very thankful I purchased insurance this time - I don't always do that.

I just read this forum, because I also may have to cancel at the last minute. I purchased the Platinum insurance, and thought I would be issued cruise credits for future use. It sounds like some of you received checks?

By the way, I am REALLY hoping I don't have to cancel - I would much rather go on the cruise! ;) I am very thankful I purchased insurance this time - I don't always do that.

Good decision in taking insurance. Just make sure your reason for cancellation is covered.

...I also may have to cancel at the last minute. I purchased the Platinum insurance, and thought I would be issued cruise credits for future use. It sounds like some of you received checks?

If you cancel for a covered reason, you receive a check. If you cancel for any other reason (like me - I decided I didn't want to go on the cruise... and wrote that on the claim), you receive cruise credits.