US users of Mobal.com international cell phones

NoWhiners

Hi all

I know I have read on some of these threads about this kind of phone. it sounds perfect for us as an emergency phone when we cruise overseas. Does anyone have any experience with them and can answer a few questions?

Are they as good as they seem? Any issues getting it set up? How can you test it short of taking it on a cruise and making a test call home? I know the per minute cost is a bit high but we won't use it that often for this to be a problem and still cheaper than having a phone/plan here for too much money! I use a tracfone at home and it is perfect for me.

I posted this on the Ask a cruise question thread and I posted on Princess too. I think that may be where I heard about this.

Thanks for any help

ML

Hi all

I know I have read on some of these threads about this kind of phone. it sounds perfect for us as an emergency phone when we cruise overseas. Does anyone have any experience with them and can answer a few questions?

Are they as good as they seem? Any issues getting it set up? How can you test it short of taking it on a cruise and making a test call home? I know the per minute cost is a bit high but we won't use it that often for this to be a problem and still cheaper than having a phone/plan here for too much money! I use a tracfone at home and it is perfect for me.

I posted this on the Ask a cruise question thread and I posted on Princess too. I think that may be where I heard about this.

Thanks for any help

ML

I would check . I have heard rumors that this service doesn't support cell service at sea.

We have used MOBAL for about 10 years and love that we do not have to pay any monthly fees (you pay per call) and that it works in about 200 countries. You do get a UK phone number so if anyone wants to call you from North America it would be like making a European call for them. While not a perfect solution, we find the service great for emergencies. And it is different from most cell services because a MOBAL enabled phone will usually work through the strongest available cell signal regardless of the company.

Their web site explains the various options such as getting a SIM or one of their phones. We do not use it at sea so cannot comment on that issue.

Hank

I would check . I have heard rumors that this service doesn't support cell service at sea.

I'm not sure about that. On their web site, under the list of countries they cover, their are entries for ferries and for Cruise ships. And the prices jump significantly (from a max of $2/per minute to $6)! But we wouldn't use it on the ship anyway. It would only be on when we are on land and probably only during shore ex or pre-arranged times.

Thx

ML

We have used MOBAL for about 10 years and love that we do not have to pay any monthly fees (you pay per call) and that it works in about 200 countries. You do get a UK phone number so if anyone wants to call you from North America it would be like making a European call for them. While not a perfect solution, we find the service great for emergencies. And it is different from most cell services because a MOBAL enabled phone will usually work through the strongest available cell signal regardless of the company.

Their web site explains the various options such as getting a SIM or one of their phones. We do not use it at sea so cannot comment on that issue.

Hank

Hank

Hmm, that's good to know. I agree it's nice to on;ly pay as you go and not have to pay every month. Is yours a 2G or 3G/4G phone? Also, the web site says you get 1 number but another person I was in touch with, who just ordered one of these, said you get 2 numbers--one international and one US, so that friends/family don't pay for international calls. It sounds like you only have one international number.

The web site also differentiates between phones purchased before April 2014. Since you've had yours for 10 years, maybe the plan was a bit different then?

Thanks for posting

ML

We bought our Mobal phone in early 2015. It came with two numbers: a UK number and a U.S. number (Maryland area code, for some reason), either of which people can call to reach us (the UK number is cheaper for us for incoming calls, so I give that to people I don't like so they can pay the overseas charge). The phone Mobal sent us as part of the package was accidentally damaged on one of our recent trips to Europe, so I transferred the SIM card to an unlocked quad-band phone I bought here in NYC and the Mobal system continues to work just fine, recently for a week in Canada. Yes, it's more expensive per minute than a number of other options, but for most of us it is the simplest thing, if for no other other reason than that the incoming phone numbers never change (you're going to have to look up how various SIM card options work to see if this is important to you). The Mobal system also works perfectly when I'm calling overseas (I like the fact that it's not a call-back system--again, you're going to have to look that up to see if it's important to you) or receiving calls, either from the U.S. or within the country I'm visiting. In between overseas trips it sits in a drawer and costs us nothing.

Edited by Langoustine

We bought our Mobal phone in early 2015. It came with two numbers: a UK number and a U.S. number (Maryland area code, for some reason), either of which people can call to reach us (the UK number is cheaper for us for incoming calls, so I give that to people I don't like so they can pay the overseas charge). The phone Mobal sent us as part of the package was accidentally damaged on one of our recent trips to Europe, so I transferred the SIM card to an unlocked quad-band phone I bought here in NYC and the Mobal system continues to work just fine, recently for a week in Canada. Yes, it's more expensive per minute than a number of other options, but for most of us it is the simplest thing, if for no other other reason than that the incoming phone numbers never change (you're going to have to look up how various SIM card options work to see if this is important to you). The Mobal system also works perfectly when I'm calling overseas (I like the fact that it's not a call-back system--again, you're going to have to look that up to see if it's important to you) or receiving calls, either from the U.S. or within the country I'm visiting. In between overseas trips it sits in a drawer and costs us nothing.

Langoustine

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll remember the tip about which number to give out to people I don't like :D I get the unlocked quad band phone thing, so good to know. And I agree it's worth a little more per minute to have the same numbers and only pay for what i use. I never even thought about the call-back method, so that is also good to know.

Can you answer 2 questions: was it hard to set up? And, if you use it at free wifi locations, do you get charged?

I am really leaning toward getting their cheaper smartphone but I want to do a little research before I commit.

Thanks again

ML

It was extremely easy to set up. Free wifi? Can't tell you; in both cases our phones were simple flip-phones, not smartphones.

oh yeah, i forgot about that. Sorry. Thanks for your help. I may go with the basic phone but will discuss with DH.

I appreciate your help, thank you

ML

For free WifI we carry an iPad mini which is great for checking email, making train & plane reservations, hotel reservations, etc. I know it would be simpler to combine all this on a smartphone, but I'm practically having to use a magnifying glass on the iPad now...

BTW, the way our first phone from Mobal (the Blu Zoey) got damaged is that it wasn't a flip-phone and the screen was damaged in my pants pocket, probably by a key (stupidly, I didn't have it in a case). The unlocked quad-band I transferred the SIM card into is a flip-phone, and is indestructible (so far).

Edited by Langoustine

Hmm, that's good to know. I agree it's nice to on;ly pay as you go and not have to pay every month. Is yours a 2G or 3G/4G phone? Also, the web site says you get 1 number but another person I was in touch with, who just ordered one of these, said you get 2 numbers--one international and one US, so that friends/family don't pay for international calls. It sounds like you only have one international number.

The web site also differentiates between phones purchased before April 2014. Since you've had yours for 10 years, maybe the plan was a bit different then?

Thanks for posting

ML

Remember, I said we have had this phone (it is an old Motorola Quad freq) for many years....way before they even used terms like 3G/4G. Since we do not use our phone for data we could care less about high speed. It is a shocker, but we only use this phone to actually talk (many have forgotten this art) and sometimes a quick text. MOBAL is always upgrading and updating their plans which is why we tell anyone to carefully look at the current options on their web site.

The thing about our deal is we paid MOBAL $100 (many years ago) and they gave us the phone plus $100 of talk time credit...so the phone was actually free. It took us several years to use up all that credit and now it is just a basic pay as you go. The beauty is that our phone might sit in a drawer for a year (unused) until we need it for a trip. And it always works, and costs us absolutely nothing unless we make or receive a call. Perfect for emergencies (we like to have it when we rent cars in Europe) but an antique compared to current day Smartphones.

If I were spending more then a few weeks in Europe we would probably just get a European Sim (with data and phone minutes) for our unlocked iPhone6. It is easy to get SIMS in any European country.

Hank

For free WifI we carry an iPad mini which is great for checking email, making train & plane reservations, hotel reservations, etc. I know it would be simpler to combine all this on a smartphone, but I'm practically having to use a magnifying glass on the iPad now...

BTW, the way our first phone from Mobal (the Blu Zoey) got damaged is that it wasn't a flip-phone and the screen was damaged in my pants pocket, probably by a key (stupidly, I didn't have it in a case). The unlocked quad-band I transferred the SIM card into is a flip-phone, and is indestructible (so far).

yes, the iPad mini is definitely a better way to go. I have a cell phone we can use when we find free wifi, and a laptop but I hate to lug that around. LOL on the magnifying glass--why do we all love these gadgets so much?!

I get the screen not being protected from stuff in your pockets--I try and keep my phone away from anything hard, but I often forget. Flip phones are indestructible!!

I am trying to decide between Blu Zoey and Blu Advance. More cost but it will be bit ahead of the curve as cell phone companies race to the bottom!

ML

Remember, I said we have had this phone (it is an old Motorola Quad freq) for many years....way before they even used terms like 3G/4G. Since we do not use our phone for data we could care less about high speed. It is a shocker, but we only use this phone to actually talk (many have forgotten this art) and sometimes a quick text. MOBAL is always upgrading and updating their plans which is why we tell anyone to carefully look at the current options on their web site.

The thing about our deal is we paid MOBAL $100 (many years ago) and they gave us the phone plus $100 of talk time credit...so the phone was actually free. It took us several years to use up all that credit and now it is just a basic pay as you go. The beauty is that our phone might sit in a drawer for a year (unused) until we need it for a trip. And it always works, and costs us absolutely nothing unless we make or receive a call. Perfect for emergencies (we like to have it when we rent cars in Europe) but an antique compared to current day Smartphones.

If I were spending more then a few weeks in Europe we would probably just get a European Sim (with data and phone minutes) for our unlocked iPhone6. It is easy to get SIMS in any European country.

Hank

Hank

We had a Motorola as our first cell phone, a looong time ago! Not a shocker that you use it to talk, we rarely use ours for anything but nice to have especially when travelling outside the US. I guess we are just old school.

I think you summed it up nicely about the advantages. I am only considering a smartphone because you never know what can happen when traveling and I like to have backup plans. We will be going to Australia and New Zealand, then South America, so this is a good option for us.

Thx

ML

Can't help you deciding between the Zoey and the Advance, as I don't know anything about the Advance. The only thing I regret about my flip-phones is that I can't get them to announce "Enterprise here" when I open them up. I'm sure there must be an app for that... One of my flip-phones is an old Motorola that I use with Consumer Cellular here in the U.S. It doesn't even have a camera, though it works just fine for what I need it to do (oh, you know, call people). My first cell phone, over 20 years ago, resembled a brick in size and weight, had a pull-out antenna, and had to be attached to my body with a belt-clip since it was too big and heavy to fit in a pocket. It detached itself from my belt when I was getting out of a taxi one night and nearly broke my foot.

Edited by Langoustine

Can't help you deciding between the Zoey and the Advance, as I don't know anything about the Advance. The only thing I regret about my flip-phones is that I can't get them to announce "Enterprise here" when I open them up. I'm sure there must be an app for that... One of my flip-phones is an old Motorola that I use with Consumer Cellular here in the U.S. It doesn't even have a camera, though it works just fine for what I need it to do (oh, you know, call people). My first cell phone, over 20 years ago, resembled a brick in size and weight, had a pull-out antenna, and had to be attached to my body with a belt-clip since it was too big and heavy to fit in a pocket. It detached itself from my belt when I was getting out of a taxi one night and nearly broke my foot.

OMG--LOL! I needed a good laugh tonight and you provided it. Flip phones should be required to include an "Enterprise here" message! that would be so cool. HA--use a phone to talk to people--where are you from?? (just kidding--I get this!). I remember those old phones, looked and felt like a brick but remember when we thought they were so mod!! and they must have come with a safety warning about dropping them on your foot!

ML

I am truly surprised that Bill Shatner has not started selling an "Enterprise Here" app. Yes, I thought the brick-thing cell phone was very cool at the time: "Well, it probably can't get any smaller," I thought, forgetting that my first transistor radio in 1957 was about the size of my head.

Edited by Langoustine

I am truly surprised that Bill Shatner has not started selling an "Enterprise Here" app. Yes, I thought the brick-thing cell phone was very cool; "Well, it probably can't get any smaller," I thought, forgetting that my first transistor radio in 1957 was about the size of my head.

When I read this, I thought of those Priceline commercials he does--I could easily imagine subbing in "Enterprise Here": app! LOL--I actually jumped ahead and thought "how come we can have small transistor radios (mid-60s) but waaay big phones"! Should have known then I was doomed to a lifetime of engineering :)

ML

From the research I've done, it seems that all of these "international sim cards" use the same carrier, based in the Channel Islands. They're resold by a variety of "services." I had one for years with an ancient flip phone and it was great. It used the call-back method, which was easy to get used to.

Then I got a smart phone (unlocked), and I had to get a new sim in order to use data functions. I've had three so far. The first one would do texts and data but not calls when I was in England. Their customer service people were nice and tried three or four alternate log-in codes, but nothing worked.

The second one (different seller, but probably the same carrier) was a general disaster--worked one time, not the next in Europe, and not at all on the US settings. When I called, they said I must have "got a bad one" and sent me a replacement. It wasn't reliable, either.

I see that most positive comments are from people who use older not-smart phones. That seems to work great. I don't think I'd recommend the international sim for smartphone users.