Late flight from JFK airport after docking at Cape Liberty

melm0

The transfer from EWR to JFK was about $90. Think the RCI trip ends at about 2pm.

We fly with Delta/Virgin Atlantic (DL 402).

I am very tempted by the private tour.

Edited by melm0

We have two nights in NY pre-cruise so this bit of time between end of cruise and flight home is just a bit more time we have to make use of. In my opinion $140 an hour minimum 4 hours for the private tour and transfer is too much money to be spending after I've spent so much on the trip. I can think of far better things to spend my money on thanks. I appreciate your input but we hope to see the main highlights before we board the ship.

Got2Cruise thanks for your help re: travelling by train. Is it fairly easy to navigate?

DrivesLikeMario are you flying from JFK?

I might just call RCI tomorrow and try get on the EWR trip and move my private pick up from Cape Liberty to EWR. I just don't know what time the tour ends.

Thanks again guys

No, SAN to EWR.

In your case, I think doing the private tour is the best bet.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

The transfer from EWR to JFK was about $90. Think the RCI trip ends at about 2pm.

We fly with Delta/Virgin Atlantic (DL 402).

I am very tempted by the private tour.

So it looks like it's approx $250 or so difference between rccl tour and private. Give or take

Just an FYI....in all my years in these boards Ive never heard a good word about a debark port/city/debark tour

Good luck with whatever you choose but do look around at the various prices of driver services and prices and honestly you should be looking for a New Jersey based driver not a NYC based one if you have t already done so

DL's terminal was upgraded & (practically) completely redone 2 years ago - lots of shops, restaurants and food court, etc. - it's not necessary bad to "waste" a few hours airside. Checking-in, baggage drop and going thru airport security can be a zoo with long lines - depending on one's FT status & class of services flown (J or F) - hence, the recommendations to arrive at least 3 hours prior to international departure, curbside - under "normal" road & weather conditions (unpredictable, at best ... otherwise, leave extra early)

It takes 30 to 60 minutes via car service (private or otherwise) to get from Cape Liberty into midtown/downtown Manhattan on a typical weekday morning, after peak AM commuters are done (after 10 to 10:30 AM).

Make sure you are going to a reputable & bonded/insured private tour operator as you are leaving most/all of your luggage and belongings in the vehicle - especially if you are hitting the pavement doing some walking around ... what if the driver "disappear" with your possessions - it's not likely to happen, but - never say "never"

Working the timelines, say you stay on the ship until 9 or 9:30 AM at the latest, by the time you get off and finish up the formalities to get pickup by the driver ... it will be 11:30 or 11:30 AM by the time you reach the "city" to start sightseeing ... unless you are planning to eat a sandwich en route or between stops, you won't be seeing a lot in 3 to 4 hours with the weekday traffic. Personally, I would NOT leave for JFK any later than 3:30 PM to 4 PM, as the afternoon rush would be in full motion with early weekend exodus.

Here's Plan C for OP, book a car service transfer & get to JFK by noon to 12:30 PM, drop off the luggage & do the check-in if allowed. Have a nice lunch, perhaps after getting airside. Considergetting a day pass for two people @ $50 p/p - nice & comfortable place to sit back, relax, free beverages & snacks. WiFi and TV, etc. Delta at JFK's T4 has a Priority Lounge (check to see if your UK credit card offer free/guest membership passes ??) - sit back & relax in one of the oversized lounger chairs away from the business travelers. https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Lounges/North-America/USA/New-York/New-York-NY-JFK-International/JFK6-Wingtips-Lounge

A variation on the above, take car servcie to nearby Howard Beach area, just off JFK, 10 minutes from terminals, off the Belt Parkway - there are a # of local restaurants along Cross Bay Blvd - nothing fancy, but good places to enjoy a leisure (seafood ??) lunch first. Then, have the place call the local car service to take you over to the Delta terminal - for another $10 to $15 with tipping ... instead of paying for overpriced airport food. Do the airline check-in early (by mid-afternoon) and go airside, relax & maybe browse the duty-free shops.

Definitely, more research.

Edited by mking8288

Viator is very pricy and this would cost the op $700 for 2 people. It's a nice idea though....and while I'm not a big fan of arranging yours with other pax in general....this is definitely one of those times where the op should go to the roll call and look for a few pax to join them if they like this tour

It is also quite easy to arrange this sort of tour on you own if you get other pax to join in

No need to pay Viator and their up charge

Viator is great though to get ideas of places to go and things to do....then just arrange on your own

Edited by luvtheships