i will be on the getaway next week. whats your opinion on the iconcierge app?

turbot72lou

I only used the free part on my recent Breakaway cruise. Great for reviewing my account, but other than that I found it to be relatively useless.

It has a ton of potential but NCL isn't leveraging it that way. At least not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We liked it. My husband myself and our daughter got it. Its like 8 bucks each. She got it for her Ipod, took it to Splash academy and if she wanted to get picked up she would text us. Or if I had to find my husband wondering around I could. Made dinner and show reservations and checked our onboard account too.

We liked it. My husband myself and our daughter got it. Its like 8 bucks each. She got it for her Ipod, took it to Splash academy and if she wanted to get picked up she would text us. Or if I had to find my husband wondering around I could. Made dinner and show reservations and checked our onboard account too.

Thanks for the report. Did it work well for texts/calls? I've read that it can be very glitchy. We will be using iphones & android and I'm sure my teens will be out later than me at night so really want to be able to stay in contact with them.

Thanks for the report. Did it work well for texts/calls? I've read that it can be very glitchy. We will be using iphones & android and I'm sure my teens will be out later than me at night so really want to be able to stay in contact with them.

We had an Iphone, Android and Ipod. It was better for texting. The calls a couple times were echoey and marbled. We are cruising again in November and will definitely get it again.

Its not that it's glitchy.

You have to know how it works.

It worked fine on the iPhone and iPod.

It's not exactly like texting. It doesn't ring to notify you that you have a new text unless you actually have the app open.

Rather you have to check it, more like e-mail than a text.

We were able to use the phone but text worked better.

For the $7.95 it's worth it.

I had downloaded the app 2 months before I sailed and it needed to be updated, which was a problem with the poor cell phone reception at the port.

Make sure you have the latest version of the app installed on your phone BEFORE you get on the ship.

Was that $8.00 for the week or daily?

We used it on Getaway last week... Large group and we activated the texting on quite a few. Worked better on iPhone than the Android it seemed. Mine kept shutting off the wifi and I would have to close the app and reopen it to get new texts from my daughter. It was very handy to stay in contact though. Lord knows teenagers are never far from their phones...

Was that $8.00 for the week or daily?

For the entire week. But not sure if that is per person or per device. I'd like to know if my son wants it on both his phone and his iPad if he can login to either for the $7.95 (assuming he is logged in to only one device at a time).

Edited by Mistizoom

Used the free part last week and it was fine for reviewing onboard account. Odd part was that every once in a while I would have my personal emails come through even though I didn't pay for Internet. It's like the Internet would accidentally open up for a few minutes. I didn't mind but seemed to indicate some backend network bugs on NCL part

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmmm... I have a 9 year old, he has his own iPod. I think this app might be convenient for him to text us if he wants to be picked up from the kids club, but other times he would always be with us. Kids are kids, and I don't want him leaving his iPod somewhere in the kids club and getting it stolen. Would the counselors hold it for him when he is there? Kids' pockets tend not to be large enough to comfortably fit an iPod.

I'd really like to save this thread, and I've gotten spoiled by Facebook! LOL. Is there a way to save it, like it, mark it somehow so I can find it again easily? Anyone know?

I think because you posted here, you are now subscribed to this thread, you will receive notifications when somebody posts here. If you want to refer back to it at a later time, either save an email notification so you can click straight into the thread or click on 'quick links' on the Cruise Critic banner and chose 'subscribed threads'. You should find it from there or you could just bookmark the page on your laptop/tablet/phone.

HTH

I also would like to know how much calls home are

Called NCL but after an hour with a rep the answer I got was that they don't know. Apparently when you go to place the call a rate will come up which you can chose to accept or not. Figure if it is under ATTs rate of $2.50/min then we will accept

Would love some feedback from someone that has actually used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think because you posted here, you are now subscribed to this thread, you will receive notifications when somebody posts here. If you want to refer back to it at a later time, either save an email notification so you can click straight into the thread or click on 'quick links' on the Cruise Critic banner and chose 'subscribed threads'. You should find it from there or you could just bookmark the page on your laptop/tablet/phone.

HTH

Thank you! I just noticed that I can print the page too, not sure how it comes out. I may experiment and try it to see :) I'm thinking I might want to refer back to it right before we get on the ship so I can show it to the rest of my group.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

One point I am unclear on...do you have to purchase an internet package to use iConcierge?

No that's completely different. We downloaded the app weeks before and then when we were waiting to board after check in we set all of our phones up and paid the the fees for each was was added to our room account. It's easy to set up. It will walk you though it.

Hmmm... I have a 9 year old, he has his own iPod. I think this app might be convenient for him to text us if he wants to be picked up from the kids club, but other times he would always be with us. Kids are kids, and I don't want him leaving his iPod somewhere in the kids club and getting it stolen. Would the counselors hold it for him when he is there? Kids' pockets tend not to be large enough to comfortably fit an iPod.

The counselors put my daughters iPod somewhere safe.