upsell uk

BIGMANTAM

Hi I was wondering if there's a phone number for UK clients to call for an upgrade? I see a lot of our American and Canadian friends have done so but nothing for UK. Has anyone done it? Can anyone advise?

Cheers.

I hope someone can answer this. I asked the same question on the other thread about 'Upsells' and did not get an answer. Maybe because no one knows???:confused: I think in the UK we should have this opportunity, so anyone with info please post it.

Spoke to my PCC today to pay grats and add some OBC at a good rate.

I asked about upsell like the US her answer was:

It does happen but not very often usually in the last couple of days before a cruise

I suppose this means in the UK we get whatever they can not sell in the North American market last minute

I asked about upgrading my inside to a B1 aft balcony:

Cost would be the difference between what I had paid and current price.

I asked about perks:

She was pretty sure that as an upgrade I would receive the current promo.

hope this helps YMMV

Hi I was wondering if there's a phone number for UK clients to call for an upgrade? I see a lot of our American and Canadian friends have done so but nothing for UK. Has anyone done it? Can anyone advise?

Cheers.

As a former UK travel agent and also a cruiser...the UK gets no where near the perks the US does. In the US if you book and pay your deposit and then decide to cancel they refund your deposit. That doesn't happen here in the UK. I have an upcoming cruise booked in May that I booked in the US. We booked this last year and didn't get the UBP offer. We paid our balance last week. I was getting annoyed seeing all the offers of inside cabins getting the UBP and the price dropping, so I called and spoke to NCL US and complained. We were upgraded to a balcony room and give the UBP and the $50 shore excursion credit. This would never happen in the UK! Also..if you booked in the UK they won't speak to you in the US...they direct you back to NCL UK .

Edited by Manxcruiser

I believe the reason that the UK doesn't get the same deals as the US is the fact that here in the UK we benefit from ABTA & ATOL protection.

Book in the US and you don't.

I'm sure British travel agents will tell you the benefits. Or correct me if I'm wrong. 🙄

All I will say is SHOP AROUND for the best price. Don't go direct to the cruise line. I was told by NCL that due to me using a TA they wouldn't give me a quote as they couldn't/wouldn't undercut them. (My partner called NCL later and their price was exactly the same as online. With no possible movement)

I saved almost £300pp on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise by calling around different TAs plus I still got the pick 2 from 4 promo offer.

Grant x

I booked my cruise in the US with one promo ,I booked my daughter through the UK site because the promotion had ended in the US .We both got the UBP.I called the US upsell number to get an upsell for both myself and my daughter .I was only able to get one for myself as I was told she booked through the UK site and nothing they can do. I called the UK reservations number to get an upgrade, was able to do it but at the current rate. She went from an ocean view to large balcony for £ 40 more total. Not a bad price. She paid total for a large balcony with UBP and prepaid gratuity £1373.50 (approx. 1910 USD) That same cabin is going for $3221.00 USD or £2315.10 .Saved over $1300.00 dollars or £941 by using the UK site. There advantages of using both. Good luck with your upgrades and or upsells if they ever come.

I believe the reason that the UK doesn't get the same deals as the US is the fact that here in the UK we benefit from ABTA & ATOL protection.

Book in the US and you don't.

I'm sure British travel agents will tell you the benefits. Or correct me if I'm wrong. 🙄

All I will say is SHOP AROUND for the best price. Don't go direct to the cruise line. I was told by NCL that due to me using a TA they wouldn't give me a quote as they couldn't/wouldn't undercut them. (My partner called NCL later and their price was exactly the same as online. With no possible movement)

I saved almost £300pp on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise by calling around different TAs plus I still got the pick 2 from 4 promo offer.

Grant x

I'm sorry but this nonsense is spouted by a lot of non UK cruisecritic members

ABTA is a trade association set up by travel agents to help travel agents. They lobby at governmental level in the UK and EU for their members. They have a bonding scheme which meets the requirements of the package holiday regulations and will mediate between members and customers to resolve issues they also have an arbitration scheme that any half decent legal advice would tell you to avoid. They are not independent like OFCOM.

ATOL is another bonding scheme for air travel package holidays

These programs were set up to help travel agents and airlines meet their legal requirements under EU and UK law. Basically if the company or travel agent goes out of business the customer will not lose his/her money it's an insurance scheme. The travel agent/company never lose money as the bond is held in trust just in case. If NCL pull out of ABTA they will receive their bond back. The only thing they have lost is their membership fees to ABTA.

There is no law or regulation which stops cruiselines from offering the same as in the North American market, it is just the way business has been done in the past in the UK and EU and the cruiselines are just doing what other travel agents legally do.

In the past cruiselines have honored price drops now they don't.

Celebrity UK recently ran a promotion which stated "if you book now you can get a price reduction if the cruise fare drops" the same as the US.

I will agree that shopping around is the best thing to do. It's up to the individual to make sure they know and understand what rules and terms & conditions affect them depending where they make their bookings.

I have booked in the UK,EU and US and I think I understand the advantages and disadvantages of bookings in each of these markets but I'm still learning:D

Well said Nomad. That is the best explanation of ABTA and ATOL I have seen. I get fed up with explaining to our US friends that the so called "protection" which they imply is provided by our government is not what they believe. We also book with. UK and US agents depending on the offers available. The £ is so weak against the US$ right now that booking in the US is not such a great idea. However, the cruise we have booked right now with our US agent can be cancelled if things don't look up. We can't do that here without losing money.

Ok . Thanks for your wise advice. I booked through TA in UK. They were absolute rubbish, and if it wasn't for the fact they were undercutting another TA, I wouldn't have booked with them. Iam loathed to ask them to try a

To get an upsell for me, I know they wouldn't. I would love to do this for myself.

Any other informed UK cruisers with experience of this, please let me know.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well My son phoned NCL UK this morning and was enquiring about Cagneys. The lady said he could have an upgrade from inside to balcony for £400 but as he'd booked through a TA it would have to be done via them.

When we originally booked it was £1400 dearer for a balcony and there are 7 of us. 2,2,3 in three different cabins. We went through the travel agent and have recieved 3 balcony cabins for just over £1000 as the party with 3 in the room paid less £234 I think. We also recieved the 5 day Ultimate Dining Package for promo for booking balcony. We already have UDP.

Just goes to show we can get Upsells in Uk. I am delighted what we paid and although I could maybe have left it to later I happy with this deal now.

There is no UK upsell number or inclination to give up sells. They will simply offer you the chance to move cabin for the difference in price between what you paid and what the new cabin is currently selling at. And if you booked through a TA you need to ask the TA.

US customers get some benefits we don't and vice Versa.

Well upgrade, upsell, If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know anything about this and therefore wouldn't have phoned and saved myself over £3000 if we had initially booked balconies. We only booked this cruise at the end of January and are going in May. This is a huge saving for us.

I just thought I would post this to maybe help anyone who had booked through a TA in UK like myself;)

Edited by BIGMANTAM

Is there no free upgrade or 'guaranteed' cabin which may also result in a better cabin? Sailed on the Spirit some years ago and booked gty inside and ended up with an oceanview.

I think NCL appears to have changed a lot since our cruise.

I've upgraded twice in the U.K. First time our booking through a T.A.(they were offering OBC, I usually book with NCL), from an inside to a family balcony for 60 pound per person.

Second time was our last NCL cruise booked direct with NCL we upgraded from an ocean view large window to a balcony a month before sailing for 12 pounds per person. We kept all our extras on both cruises HTH

Denise'

We booked our last cruise direct with ncl uk And booked over a year out. We were booking a studio, a family inside and a regular inside. We received a free upgrade from our PCC - regular inside to forward facing ocean view and family inside to a mid ship mini suite. No upgrade for the studio. This was all because we were booking a large group at once, we are latitudes members (we also got obc awarded because my wife made the booking) and because we were booking so early.