Is food on the Anthem really that bad??!!

Herby

I have been reading one review after the other about how terrible the food is at the 4 complimentary dining restaurants. Hot food is cold, desserts are warm and runny, no taste, over cooked meant, etc... There has been so many that say the same thing that I am really getting worried. I never let a few bad reviews bother me but dozens saying the exact same thing about the food is scary!

Is Royal Caribbean listening I hope!!!

I have been reading one review after the other about how terrible the food is at the 4 complimentary dining restaurants. Hot food is cold, desserts are warm and runny, no taste, over cooked meant, etc... There has been so many that say the same thing that I am really getting worried. I never let a few bad reviews bother me but dozens saying the exact same thing about the food is scary!

Is Royal Caribbean listening I hope!!!

I've not seen those reviews. Would you please post some links?

I have seen reviews saying that food was definitely not Anthem's strong suit, but I haven't seen that many that claim it was "terrible" or "inedible". I actually just read a review today that was praising the food.

It's also very subjective. For example, I just got back from the Allure. Many people on here would claim that the food in the MDR was subpar at best...while I had some really great meals. Some were just okay, but overall my experience with the dining room food was very good to great.

I've spent 20 days on Anthem, over 2 cruises.

The food ranges from ok to excellent. Some things were better than others. I think a lot depends on your personal taste.

If you are expecting a 5 star experience, you will be sadly disappointed. But if you expect decent food, you should be reasonably pleased.

We sailed Anthem last June from UK, and the food in the 4 MDR was disappointing compared to our other Rci cruises, probably the least enjoyable of all our cruises.

And we are no way picky eaters.

We thought if it did not change there would be many complaints when the ship moved to the US

Edited by bogofman

We sailed Anthem last June from UK, and the food in the 4 MDR was disappointing compared to our other Rci cruises, probably the least enjoyable of all our cruises.

And we are no way picky eaters.

We thought if it did not change there would be many complaints when the ship moved to the US

Sorry to say the food is still one level below High School Cafeteria food. Disappointing! I toured the kitchens and they are pristine and clean......... but the preparation and presentation of the food are lacking. I had better food on other (smaller) Royal Caribbean ships. I think this is an Anthem problem and they should get it sorted out....or get Chef Ramsey to advise.....

I have never had great food on any of our cruises. That being said, as long as I am not cooking, serving, or thinking what's for dinner I am fine. I will never go hungry on a cruise, best food, probably not, can I eat it, yup.;)

Sorry to say the food is still one level below High School Cafeteria food. Disappointing! I toured the kitchens and they are pristine and clean......... but the preparation and presentation of the food are lacking. I had better food on other (smaller) Royal Caribbean ships. I think this is an Anthem problem and they should get it sorted out....or get Chef Ramsey to advise.....

I have a hard time believing it's that bad. Or maybe the cafeteria food you are familiar is a lot better than mine.

I know, I haven't been on Anthem personally, but I just can't imagine it being that bad.

I have a hard time believing it's that bad. Or maybe the cafeteria food you are familiar is a lot better than mine.

I know, I haven't been on Anthem personally, but I just can't imagine it being that bad.

You should book a cruise on the Anthem and find out for yourself? I have been on the Anthem and have I tasted the food....... And not you! Why comment like that........ If you don't really know? Again, the Anthem needs Chef Ramsey to put them on the right track. If more people came forth and complained maybe they will correct this situation.

No, it's not that bad. But different people have different tastes, and the ones who are dissatisfied are somewhat more likely to take the time to write up reviews.

Plus, there are some who I believe just think trashing the food makes them appear to have refined tastes.

If you want to give Anthem a try, I wouldn't worry about the food being bad, unless you are just an extremely picky eater (in which case, you probably wouldn't be happy with any of the ships).

I just spent 22 days on the Anthem.

I did not have a bad meal.

Some were better than others, but that sentence works in describing almost anything in life.

No meal was worse than "average" and many were good or excellent.

I was on the Anthem last year and I was happy with the meals and the quality of service.

My sister was also on the Anthem on a separate cruise with her friends and they also enjoyed the food and had no complaints. My sister's friends usually sail with NCL and are foodies. I trust their judgement.

My view is that things change rapidly on cruise ships so the experience on one cruise might not be the same on another. I would go with an open mind and see for yourself. One benefit of having low expectations is that you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

I have never gone hungry on a cruise or thought that the food was so bad that I would avoid the ship or the cruise line. At the same time, I have had many bad experiences just like others, on many ships and across all cruise lines. In comparison to my other cruises, Anthem is no worse and may be a little better based on my own subjective experience.

I eat too much on cruises so a meal below par is perhaps a blessing on occasions as I am unlikely to finish it. :)

I'm on the Anthem of the Seas now. Out of numerous meals and snacks I've had over ten days, there were two items (that's items, not entire meals) that I couldn't eat. The scrambled eggs in the buffet and one of the salad dressings in Jamie's.

Everything else has been good to excellent.

You know what I did both times I didn't like something?

Sit down, this will blow your mind.

I let them know about the problem and then I found something else to eat.

Crazy, right?

The food is terrific. And if you don't like something, get something else. Repeat as necessary and you'll be happy.

Unless you don't want to be happy. Then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. So I won't try.

Have a nice day, everyone!

I am on the Anthem and have not had issues with that food. We have had food from Grande, Chic, Solarium Bistro, Windjammer, and Promenade Cafe. We have had some food we didn't care for, and some that was okay, but most was excellent. The day I ordered Veal Shank, I didn't care for it, my brother in law thought it was great.

I think that everybody has their own taste. I think some days you are not as hungry and are more picky than other days.

I met someone that ate st Chops and said the food was just as good as the Grande.

I just spent 22 days on the Anthem.

I did not have a bad meal.

Some were better than others, but that sentence works in describing almost anything in life.

No meal was worse than "average" and many were good or excellent.

Any compasses you can post from any of your sailings?

I'm on the Anthem of the Seas now. Out of numerous meals and snacks I've had over ten days, there were two items (that's items, not entire meals) that I couldn't eat. The scrambled eggs in the buffet and one of the salad dressings in Jamie's.

Crazy, right?

The food is terrific. And if you don't like something, get something else. Repeat as necessary and you'll be happy.

Unless you don't want to be happy. Then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. So I won't try.

:) Nice!

Crazy, right?

THANK YOU for this. We just booked Anthem for 4/18/16 sailing and it is my husbands first cruise. All the negative reviews were starting to really worry me - mostly the food ones. I REALLY want him to enjoy cruising lol. I have cruised before - thanks for reminder that if you don't like something you can always get something else, or go to the Buffett, or get room service or....

You should book a cruise on the Anthem and find out for yourself? I have been on the Anthem and have I tasted the food....... And not you! Why comment like that........ If you don't really know? Again, the Anthem needs Chef Ramsey to put them on the right track. If more people came forth and complained maybe they will correct this situation.

I've tasted it. I also don't think it's nearly as bad as you put it.

Been to plenty of large banquet parties- up to 600 guests, and I still have not had dinner as bad as those banquets.

It's 5 start wonderful, sure- in certain places, at least. But it's not the kind of garbage that I had in HS.

Here's one thing to note- this kind of "review" isn't helpful to the ship. Being SPECIFIC in your notes is. What room where you eating in, what were you eating, what was the issue, etc.

There's a big difference in "the food is as bad as a cafeteria" and "the taco dish we got in Silk on night 3 was cold and tasteless".

This is so subjective, so when you ask “Is food on the Anthem really that bad??!!” I guess the answer would be, for those folks who have written negative reviews, yes. However, I was just on the Anthem 2 weeks ago and while the food wasn’t the best I’ve ever had, it certainly wasn’t “bad.” One of the things we enjoy about cruising is the ability to try new & different foods. We’d order several appetizers at each meal to split as a family, and the same for desserts. If we ordered an entre and weren’t completely happy with it, we’d ask for something else. We had some tremendous food, and some that I wouldn’t likely order again, but one thing is for sure – we never left a meal hungry! I’d probably rate the food on Oasis/Allure higher, but I certainly wouldn’t say the food is a reason to avoid sailing on the Anthem.

THANK YOU for this. We just booked Anthem for 4/18/16 sailing and it is my husbands first cruise. All the negative reviews were starting to really worry me - mostly the food ones. I REALLY want him to enjoy cruising lol. I have cruised before - thanks for reminder that if you don't like something you can always get something else, or go to the Buffett, or get room service or....

Please stop by and join the Roll Call for this cruise Anthem of the Seas - 12 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise April 18, 2016 It will give you the opportunity to chat with folks going on the same cruise as you are.

Also, please Register for the Meet & Mingle which is the the get together hosted by RCI on board. Invitation will be left in your stateroom upon your arrival.

Edited by cruisenfever

I've tasted it. I also don't think it's nearly as bad as you put it.

Been to plenty of large banquet parties- up to 600 guests, and I still have not had dinner as bad as those banquets.

It's 5 start wonderful, sure- in certain places, at least. But it's not the kind of garbage that I had in HS.

Here's one thing to note- this kind of "review" isn't helpful to the ship. Being SPECIFIC in your notes is. What room where you eating in, what were you eating, what was the issue, etc.

There's a big difference in "the food is as bad as a cafeteria" and "the taco dish we got in Silk on night 3 was cold and tasteless".

have seen some like his, I know better to respond now and or believe a word of posts such as that....