Wine Packages Pride of America

Merriem

Just got off the phone with a less than helpful concierge after a 30 minute hold. I wanted to know about wine packages on the POA, as we sail on March 15th. She said no........I have read multiple threads which say yes. Trying to find out or we may just buy our wine and pay the $15 fee per bottle. THanks in advance.

I was on the most recent POA cruise. My wife and I purchased a wine package on the first day. I don't recall the discount, but we purchased 6 bottles. They were delivered to our room. It was optional to have the wine stored by the ship, but it was noted that it could take a while to retrieve at dinner.

6 was the minimum to buy to get a discount. If you purchased additional bottles, you would get the same discount. Discounts were bigger for more purchases.

Just got off the phone with a less than helpful concierge after a 30 minute hold.

You didn't talk to a concierge, you talked to a shoreside CSR handling minor services like reservations etc and otherwise acting as a secretary for taking notes of requests by suite passengers.

The concierges are only onboard, one per ship. :)

This was posted in December.... prices might have changed as well as some wine offerings but you might get an idea.

Posted this back in August but unless the prices have changed very recently they remain the same. We cruised on the Star in September and the wines listed were the same with little difference.

Here's the Viva Vino package list. Some changes may have occurred including prices but it's fairly close, someone else may have a more up-to-date list.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chateau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 18% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

Merriem, log into your NCL account, go to explore and plan. Then go to gifts and more and there are packages of wine for purchase if this is what you are looking for.

I called the concierge number that was with our luggage tags.

Merriem, log into your NCL account, go to explore and plan. Then go to gifts and more and there are packages of wine for purchase if this is what you are looking for.

The last time I looked at our MyNCL account under gifts ( we are on the same cruise ) there were no wine "packages" for sale, only individual bottles of wine, and it was a very limited selection.

The last time I looked at our MyNCL account under gifts ( we are on the same cruise ) there were no wine "packages" for sale, only individual bottles of wine, and it was a very limited selection.

Exactly, you can't find the Viva Vino package on "MyNCL" it's only available on the ship, as you board and enter the Atrium (at least has always been the case for us) you'll see a display of the wines available for purchase in the VV package.

You can mix and match or have all the same in 4-6-8 bottle packages. Also different levels as well.

Cheers

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Several years ago we did the POA cruise. One of the highlights of the trip was a "wine auction". It ran the first couple days. A helpful person encouraged us to put in the minimum bid on a good bottle of champagne and assured us we would win. She was right!

Not sure if they still do this and it was the only cruise we have seen this on.

Vic

Thank you. I wish I could get a list and decide if it would be better to just buy it in San Francisco and pay the corkage fee.

HERE YOU GO

Wine list for Pride of America

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_POA_07092015.pdf

Wine list for all Norwegian Cruise Line ships

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

Edited by Orleanscruiser

For some reason I thought it was a wine package....I am glad to know that one can be purchased on board. Sorry for any confusion :eek:

Back to square one! Just called the reservations number. This time it was not outsourced.

Told absolutely NO WINE PACKAGES ON THE POA.....so does the right hand not know what the left knows, or are they right.

I was on the most recent POA cruise. My wife and I purchased a wine package on the first day. I don't recall the discount, but we purchased 6 bottles. They were delivered to our room. It was optional to have the wine stored by the ship, but it was noted that it could take a while to retrieve at dinner.

6 was the minimum to buy to get a discount. If you purchased additional bottles, you would get the same discount. Discounts were bigger for more purchases.

Well, according to the 3rd person I talked to this morning....you could not have purchased that on board. I know you did, but these people are clueless. I think they have some pretty poorly informed employees. Also ack about buying a bottle of cognac for the room, they said no again.

Well, according to the 3rd person I talked to this morning....you could not have purchased that on board. I know you did, but these people are clueless. I think they have some pretty poorly informed employees. Also ack about buying a bottle of cognac for the room, they said no again.

I too have found more accurate information here on CC than I have from customer service reps.

What we bought may have been different from wine packages on other ships. We were able to order what ever bottles we wanted from any wine list. If you bought 6 or more, you got a certain discount. There were a couple of other levels of bottles, where you got bigger discounts, but that would have been way too much for us.

Now, the post drydock cruise is especially confusing. Usually POA has to comply with Hawaiian liquor laws, but almost half of your cruise is not in Hawaii. You also have those sea days to sip wine on your balcony, where we spent all of our days running around the islands. And of course, I am sure there are places to get good wine for cheap in SF. (or Napa!) Best of Luck!

I too have found more accurate information here on CC than I have from customer service reps.

What we bought may have been different from wine packages on other ships. We were able to order what ever bottles we wanted from any wine list. If you bought 6 or more, you got a certain discount. There were a couple of other levels of bottles, where you got bigger discounts, but that would have been way too much for us.

Now, the post drydock cruise is especially confusing. Usually POA has to comply with Hawaiian liquor laws, but almost half of your cruise is not in Hawaii. You also have those sea days to sip wine on your balcony, where we spent all of our days running around the islands. And of course, I am sure there are places to get good wine for cheap in SF. (or Napa!) Best of Luck!

I totally agree. Just think we will get 6 bottles in SFO and pay the corkage, then pick some more up when we get to the islands. I actually prefer sea days. Thank you again.

• 2 months later...
So if you buy 4 bottles for $88 + 18% grats, do you still have to pay $15 per bottle corkage fee? Seems a shame to have to spend $26 for bottle of wine you can buy at Wal-mart for $6.

No, you only pay corkage on bottles you BRING ON yourself.

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I've never been on a cruise, so it's all new to me - we sail next year, so we have plenty of time to research things but we're getting conflicting information on the Bar grats - We're happy to tip people (that deserve it) and as English people we're used to paying a tip at the end of the evening, not EVERY TIME you buy a drink.

So we asked the question, is this included in the package we paid for pre-paid services charges, apparently NOT. We were then told we could "OPT OUT" and pay as we go, then only to be told via our travel agent that this not the case and it's compulsory to pay 18% - so we're no further forward.

We too are looking at whether to buy out own Sparkling wine/champagne and taking it on board but not sure just what we will be charged with!

Any help is most welcome

Hi there

I've never been on a cruise, so it's all new to me - we sail next year, so we have plenty of time to research things but we're getting conflicting information on the Bar grats - We're happy to tip people (that deserve it) and as English people we're used to paying a tip at the end of the evening, not EVERY TIME you buy a drink.

So we asked the question, is this included in the package we paid for pre-paid services charges, apparently NOT. We were then told we could "OPT OUT" and pay as we go, then only to be told via our travel agent that this not the case and it's compulsory to pay 18% - so we're no further forward.

We too are looking at whether to buy out own Sparkling wine/champagne and taking it on board but not sure just what we will be charged with!

Any help is most welcome

PrePaid Service charges is what goes to the stewards, dining room staff, etc.

Each time you buy a drink, they will add 18% to the price of the drink. If you bring wine onto the ship, they charge you a $15 per bottle fee, which acts as a corkage fee (so the wine stewards still get something since they didn't get the 18% on the price of the bottle of wine). You don't pay anything else on the bottle(s) you bring on, just the $15 per bottle.

If you got/bought the Ultimate Beverage Package, you are charged 18% of the price of the package (each person pays the 18% on their package)

Hope that helps.

azcruise - thanks for your reply. POA don't do the ultimate drinks package, we've already looked into this. There are a few deals they have on their "gifts and more" section.

I think it might be cost effective to bring my own and pay the corkage, hubby will have to pay the 18% I suppose. We better have a good bartender! I'm still going to ask about the "opt out" option when we board, just for clarification.

azcruise - thanks for your reply. POA don't do the ultimate drinks package, we've already looked into this. There are a few deals they have on their "gifts and more" section.

I think it might be cost effective to bring my own and pay the corkage, hubby will have to pay the 18% I suppose. We better have a good bartender! I'm still going to ask about the "opt out" option when we board, just for clarification.

I think you are confusing the Daily Service Charges, or DSC, which is apparently what you have pre paid, with the 18% Gratuity and Service Charge which is applied either to the Ultimate Beverage Package price at the time of package purchase, or to individual drink orders on the ship if you don't have the package. The DSC may be what you heard you could opt out of, but it is really not that simple. You must go to the Guest Services and get a form which is filled out and mailed in requesting how much of these charges you want back and why. Then you must wait many weeks to get the money. Most people feel uncomfortable stiffing the staff for part of their wages. There is no way you can find and tip in cash all these people. The DSC allows you not to have to worry about cash tips for stewards and dining room staff. You won't have the same one each night with Freestyle, so this makes it easier.

You are correct that the POA has no Ultimate Beverage Package because of Hawaii State Liquor Laws. You will be charged by the drink, and 18% will be added to each drink to cover the gratuity. This is done because bar staff are not part of the DSC gratuity pool which is made up of the Daily Service Charge that covers most other staff like stewards and servers in main dining rooms, buffets, etc. You are not required to tip additionally.

The 18% Specialty Dining Gratuity and Service Charge works the same way. You either pay it on the dining package price, or it is added to your bill at each specialty meal. Again, the specialty servers are not part of the DSC pool. Whether you tip additional is up to you.

Rather than carry wine all the way to Hawaii from England, you might consider buying a wine package offered on the first and maybe second day of the cruise. You can purchase bottles from the wine list on the ship ( 18% applies ). Or, there are lots of places to buy wine in Waikiki pre cruise'at better prices. The ABC stores have a good selection, and there is one on every corner. Pay the $15 per bottle on boarding and nothing further is added on board. You can drink it anywhere on the ship. Leave it in the MDR or any restaurant and they will fetch it for you no matter where you are dining.

I think you are confusing the Daily Service Charges, or DSC, which is apparently what you have pre paid, with the 18% Gratuity and Service Charge which is applied either to the Ultimate Beverage Package price at the time of package purchase, or to individual drink orders on the ship if you don't have the package. The DSC may be what you heard you could opt out of, but it is really not that simple. You must go to the Guest Services and get a form which is filled out and mailed in requesting how much of these charges you want back and why. Then you must wait many weeks to get the money. Most people feel uncomfortable stiffing the staff for part of their wages. There is no way you can find and tip in cash all these people. The DSC allows you not to have to worry about cash tips for stewards and dining room staff. You won't have the same one each night with Freestyle, so this makes it easier.

You are correct that the POA has no Ultimate Beverage Package because of Hawaii State Liquor Laws. You will be charged by the drink, and 18% will be added to each drink to cover the gratuity. This is done because bar staff are not part of the DSC gratuity pool which is made up of the Daily Service Charge that covers most other staff like stewards and servers in main dining rooms, buffets, etc. You are not required to tip additionally.

The 18% Specialty Dining Gratuity and Service Charge works the same way. You either pay it on the dining package price, or it is added to your bill at each specialty meal. Again, the specialty servers are not part of the DSC pool. Whether you tip additional is up to you.

Rather than carry wine all the way to Hawaii from England, you might consider buying a wine package offered on the first and maybe second day of the cruise. You can purchase bottles from the wine list on the ship ( 18% applies ). Or, there are lots of places to buy wine in Waikiki pre cruise'at better prices. The ABC stores have a good selection, and there is one on every corner. Pay the $15 per bottle on boarding and nothing further is added on board. You can drink it anywhere on the ship. Leave it in the MDR or any restaurant and they will fetch it for you no matter where you are dining.

No, I'm not confused I know we have paid the service charges but I don;t understand why we cannot pay our own tips when we want to and the amount. To be dictated to is not what we're used to, we've travelled all over the world and never had any problems tipping what we wanted to. I wouldn't buy alcohol from the UK, I'd get duty free - it's cheaper lol.