Dear NCL, Do You Want New Customers?

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, as I wish NCL would offer a cruise only (would included the complimentary dining, complimentary entertainment, etc.) low price and then have the other items SDP, UBP, etc. as for purchase items and not included perks. That way, I can pick and choose how I want to spend my dollars, instead of paying for perks that I might not want or need.

I think what that poster was saying, or how I interpret it and feel about the package as well is.....if you're going to offer an "ultimate" package, then offer an ultimate package and include all the restaurants. It's pennies. For example on Celebrity with their ultimate dining, it includes everywhere anytime. It doesn't matter to them if you eat solely at the $25 place or spend every night in the $50 per person place. Same with the premium drink package--it includes everything to a cap, but everything like water, coffees, teas...nothing to think about.

do you mean me as the customer would get specific warning via email or that i should just be monitoring the NCL site for an increase

We received an email for our cruise last year with the new rates and the option to pre-pay DSC. We immediately did the pre-pay thing. This time we have it as one of our perks. Whew!:)

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$14.95 per person per day for any suite category

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

I have both free drinks and six nights specialty dining on our 14 nights NCL cruise - I think that's pretty awesome :)

TO OP:

Celebrity - its a totally different ballgame. I love Celebrity - and am returning to them for an Alaska cruise - port intensive and not about "the party".

For Transatlantic I would not do Celebrity again - its just to zzzzzzzing - prefer NCL to Celebrity for night buzz and by far prefer NCL spa to Celebrity.

I think all lines now are so "value for money" they MUST upsell - I know we were spending more back in early 2000s for cruise +bar + speciality dining.

There was a period of time where we said - "okay its land vacations for a while its just got too expensive" ( we have to fly cruise everywhere often two flights often a short + long haul flight).

Celebrity "nickel and dime" too. BLU - (I travel Aquaclass) is a great restaurant but it comes at a hefty price. Suite level - I don't go there any more. Been there - done that - and as we get older - value my hard earned cash to much to spend money on a room I sleep and bathe in. Specialty dining on Celebrity comes at a higher price.

Not sure where they are at with drinks package anymore - does anyone still actually BUY a drinks package? Both lines have offers on which include drinks package more often than not.

We upgraded our classic package on Celebrity to Premium at a cost of £113 for two of us for seven days and yet - apparently less than 20% who sail celebrity, upgrade from classic (often free) to premium.

Cruising has become very affordable and long may it continue! If I lived somewhere I didn't need to fly from to get on a cruise - I would be going every other month (well - aside from cruising from Southampton that's a never ever ever go back!).

NCL are doing great - I LOVE EPIC - way more than Celebrity Equinox - what a ship - fabulous time! AND try comparing an NCL SPA to Celebrity's - Celebrity have a cheek to call it "a spa" - its pathetic (And remember I sail Aquaclass!) Same for the salon - NCL is by far cheaper than Canyon Ranch prices.

My only wish would be that NCL would leave a mega ship in Europe all year around - I would take cruises more often in winter - just for a cheap break - Spirit is too small for me for a winter cruise. Celebrity I don't think have anything at all in Europe in winter. We have to look to MSC and Costa for winter short breaks.

Celebrity and NCL two different lines - I cruise both for entirely different reasons.

BOTH quite rightly so "nickel and dime" each in their own way, and at the prices and offers they are coming up with - they sure are entitled to do so!

It's NCL's spa and the boredom I have on Celebrity that is causing me to look elsewhere. MSC was on my list. How do you feel about them?

I know all lines have their nickel and dining to some degree but for example, you mention the specialty dining on Celebrity. It is certainly more than most of the other major lines BUT, if you buy their ultimate dining package for the week, it is $29 a day including gratuities for a total of $203. With that, you can eat anywhere on the ship as often as you like and while I'm not into multiple entrees, I haven't seen any annoying "extra $10 fee" warnings with them for those who might like a second dish.

With me, I am looking for something more lively than Celebrity but I wish I could find one with NCL's offerings/atmosphere but with something more along the lines of all inclusive such as Celebs dining plan. To dream I suppose......

It's NCL's spa and the boredom I have on Celebrity that is causing me to look elsewhere. MSC was on my list. How do you feel about them?

I know all lines have their nickel and dining to some degree but for example, you mention the specialty dining on Celebrity. It is certainly more than most of the other major lines BUT, if you buy their ultimate dining package for the week, it is $29 a day including gratuities for a total of $203. With that, you can eat anywhere on the ship as often as you like and while I'm not into multiple entrees, I haven't seen any annoying "extra $10 fee" warnings with them for those who might like a second dish.

With me, I am looking for something more lively than Celebrity but I wish I could find one with NCL's offerings/atmosphere but with something more along the lines of all inclusive such as Celebs dining plan. To dream I suppose......

I am looking at an MSC right now - have been on Costa many times - MSC have already given us their Gold Status on their loyalty awards - for a winter Med cruise - have heard great reports from friends.

I love EPIC though - you don't like NCL spas? I love Epic's SPA -

I am looking at MSC Aurea suite - includes drinks, massage, thermal passes - drinks and an area in restaurant reserved for Aurea guests for Anytime dining.

I know what you mean - trying to find the best out of each line and throw it all into one is nigh impossible.

My forthcoming cruise to Alaska on X I have Aquaclass so get BLU restaurant, thermal passes but the SPA is not a patch on Epics. We got free drinks, free grats and 100$ OBC each.

NCL this Autumn I got Free drinks, free speciality dining - (6 out of 14 nights). Cant be bad. I will not mind paying for other speciality dining nights - but will try MDR too.

Costa NeoRomantica is about the nearest I have come to a ship which combines a lot - its a beautiful small boutique ship -but can be buzzing lively at 1am! Fantastic dining - it is very different from the main Costa Ships - check it out...and stunning spa - small but beautiful! Samsara class on Costa is fabulous - but the Suites with Butlers on the NeoRomantica is just wonderful - I can only go back on her if I take a suite - had the same suite twice on her - she is a beauty of a wee ship!

Blondie - What was terrible about cruising out of Southampton, I'm intrigued! (new to cruising, based in SE England) :D

Firstly I for sure wont go near a P&O ship again - even if it was a free cruise - nope - no thank you.

Secondly - I just don't like the whole "Brit style" cruising - Just my opinion - I prefer a mix of cultures and global nationalities. I don't want to feel I am on holiday in Tenerife - or horror of horrors "see what the footie results are" ..

Not for me I'm afraid. No disrespect intended - just not for me - been there, done it - wont be back.

I am looking at an MSC right now - have been on Costa many times - MSC have already given us their Gold Status on their loyalty awards - for a winter Med cruise - have heard great reports from friends.

I love EPIC though - you don't like NCL spas? I love Epic's SPA -

I am looking at MSC Aurea suite - includes drinks, massage, thermal passes - drinks and an area in restaurant reserved for Aurea guests for Anytime dining.

I know what you mean - trying to find the best out of each line and throw it all into one is nigh impossible.

My forthcoming cruise to Alaska on X I have Aquaclass so get BLU restaurant, thermal passes but the SPA is not a patch on Epics. We got free drinks, free grats and 100$ OBC each.

NCL this Autumn I got Free drinks, free speciality dining - (6 out of 14 nights). Cant be bad. I will not mind paying for other speciality dining nights - but will try MDR too.

Costa NeoRomantica is about the nearest I have come to a ship which combines a lot - its a beautiful small boutique ship -but can be buzzing lively at 1am! Fantastic dining - it is very different from the main Costa Ships - check it out...and stunning spa - small but beautiful! Samsara class on Costa is fabulous - but the Suites with Butlers on the NeoRomantica is just wonderful - I can only go back on her if I take a suite - had the same suite twice on her - she is a beauty of a wee ship!

I have never taken an NCL cruise. I want to try them but their constant changes are spooking me off. lol See, I don't have much spa experience so the spa on the newer Celebrity ships seem like heaven to me. However, I have seen pictures of NCL's and it looks like a whole different level...another reason I want to check them out.

Do you usually book spa or do you buy a pass on NCL? Do you know how much the spa pass is and can you pretty much get one no problem?

Thanks!

We've been on many Carnival cruises and decided to give NCL a try because we have some relatives cruising on the Panama Canal cruise 11/17/16 and thought that might be a good excuse to try something different. We booked a mini-suite and paid our deposit about a month ago. Since then I've continued to compare price and value. Today I called and cancelled the NCL cruise. I suppose the relatives are still going but that's up to them.

On Carnival I can get B2B 7 day cruises cheaper than I can get an 11 day on NCL. I know all the NCL folks will say NCL is better but I don't really care as I wasn't trying to fix a problem with Carnival and we have never had a Carnival cruise we didn't enjoy. So, even if NCL is "better" (which I doubt) it's of no cash value to me because I can get a completely satisfactory cruise on Carnival for significantly less money.

I didn't see any reason to pay 25% more for 3 less days in a smaller room as we always get an Ocean Suite on Carnival. Neither room provides any extra perks except the suite on Carnival does get priority embark and debark which you don't get on NCL. That's not worth much so it doesn't really figure into the equation.

Disagree all you want but I still cancelled and doubt I'll ever try again. But, we'll see. Never say never.

Edited by travler27

I have never taken an NCL cruise. I want to try them but their constant changes are spooking me off. lol See, I don't have much spa experience so the spa on the newer Celebrity ships seem like heaven to me. However, I have seen pictures of NCL's and it looks like a whole different level...another reason I want to check them out.

Do you usually book spa or do you buy a pass on NCL? Do you know how much the spa pass is and can you pretty much get one no problem?

Thanks!

Spa passes are limited number which depends on the size of the ship. They are available when the reservations are open @100 days for Suites/Haven and 90 days for all other staterooms. NCL offers a discount if you purchase prior to boarding. I purchased a pass for my DH and myself for a 7-day - $258 or $129 each. We always book passes. We are both in love with the heated loungers.

We've been on many Carnival cruises and decided to give NCL a try because we have some relatives cruising on the Panama Canal cruise 11/17/16 and thought that might be a good excuse to try something different. We booked a mini-suite and paid our deposit about a month ago. Since then I've continued to compare price and value. Today I called and cancelled the NCL cruise. I suppose the relatives are still going but that's up to them.

On Carnival I can get B2B 7 day cruises cheaper than I can get an 11 day on NCL. I know all the NCL folks will say NCL is better but I don't really care as I wasn't trying to fix a problem with Carnival and we have never had a Carnival cruise we didn't enjoy. So, even if NCL is "better" (which I doubt) it's of no cash value to me because I can get a completely satisfactory cruise on Carnival for significantly less money.

I didn't see any reason to pay 25% more for 3 less days in a smaller room as we always get an Ocean Suite on Carnival. Neither room provides any extra perks except the suite on Carnival does get priority embark and debark which you don't get on NCL. That's not worth much so it doesn't really figure into the equation.

Disagree all you want but I still cancelled and doubt I'll ever try again. But, we'll see. Never say never.

In a suite on NCL you get priority embark and disembark, a butler, a concierge, breakfast and lunch in Cagney's (if you want) in suite dining (if you want) Nespresso coffee machine, a nice size balcony. Were you pricing Haven suites or Penthouse suites not in Haven?

I like both Carnival and NCL. With Carnival I get a balcony because the suites offer nothing extra really and on NCL I get the Penthouse not in the Haven (the larger ships all the suites are in the Haven, but not the jewel class ships),

My take is the buffet on NCL is better but the desserts on Carnival are better. MDRs about the same, NCLs specialty restaurants are fantastic. I did eat at the Carnival steakhouse once and it was just OK. It may have just been what I ordered but I wasn't impressed. I like that Carnival has lot of lunch choices apart from the buffet. I think the entertainment on NCl is better especially the live music playing all over the ship.

JMHO even though you didn't ask:eek:

Spa passes are limited number which depends on the size of the ship. They are available when the reservations are open @100 days for Suites/Haven and 90 days for all other staterooms. NCL offers a discount if you purchase prior to boarding. I purchased a pass for my DH and myself for a 7-day - $258 or $129 each. We always book passes. We are both in love with the heated loungers.

Really? $129 isn't bad at all.

What about this Vibe thing? I hear that sells out sometimes before they even get you onboard. Is that worth it? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just give them a try, no frills. I'd be going on the Escape.

Thanks!

On Epic we booked a Spa Mini suite - again - thought the cabin has a much better set up than X,. I find X closet space of course beautifully finished - but simply not practical. Those cupboards above the bed were ridiculous - and the wardrobe barely held enough for me for a few days let alone a two week cruise. Epics room - sure its not huge - but its very practical and lots of drawer space AND a decent hair dryer already in situ (not the X curly wired thing). We could come out of our cabin and literally up a few steps and right into the spa - we liked that - The Spa is a different ballgame from X.

On Jade there are no spa cabins - need to book a pass. I gather the coed area is not great BUT - it at least has a small pool to share as well as the tiled loungers. X had nothing - all that BLUE lighting - If you search around you will find photos of the various NCL ship spas. The smaller ships like JAde seem to have separate sex areas with Jacuzzis - steam rooms saunas etc.

I have Aquaclass booked again for this year in Alaska - but its mainly for BLU not for the spa - I had booked two cruises with X at the same time and booked both in AQUA - I'm not sure I would book it again - the SPA was just such a let down after NCLs - strange - but true....

In our case, I'd do the exact same thing. You like Carnivals' product, and it's cheaper. Seems like a no brainer. Although, I'd have consider which side of family I was abandoning. If it were my DWs, I may have to reconsider.:eek:

But, for the folks who are cancelled their NCL trips due to the changes, I think they're missing the boat, so to speak. As with most topics on CC it gets way overblown, for the average cruiser. I don't like the changes any more than anyone else. But, all the changes don't impact everyone. With the perks they're giving now, for the most part you take all increases to drinks and food, and multiple that by 18%. That's the effective increase. For a couple, that's between $50 - $100 bucks a week. While I don't like it, I'm surely not going to change all my plans for that amount of difference. Try it once. If you don't like it, then don't go again.

My SIL just went on her first cruise, in February. It was with my DW and I on the Escape. She had gotten 2 promo's(Beverage and SDP), and she prepaid gratuities with her cruise fare. She also got $50 obc. She had a wonderful week, drinking and eating where she wanted. For communication, she bought iConcierge for the week, as we did. So, that was $7.95. On the last day she went to the shops to see where she could spend the rest of her OBC. Those pricing changing has absolutely zero impact on her cruise. She bought an FCC on day 4.

In our case, I'd do the exact same thing. You like Carnivals' product, and it's cheaper. Seems like a no brainer. Although, I'd have consider which side of family I was abandoning. If it were my DWs, I may have to reconsider.:eek:

But, for the folks who are cancelled their NCL trips due to the changes, I think they're missing the boat, so to speak. As with most topics on CC it gets way overblown, for the average cruiser. I don't like the changes any more than anyone else. But, all the changes don't impact everyone. With the perks they're giving now, for the most part you take all increases to drinks and food, and multiple that by 18%. That's the effective increase. For a couple, that's between $50 - $100 bucks a week. While I don't like it, I'm surely not going to change all my plans for that amount of difference. Try it once. If you don't like it, then don't go again.

My SIL just went on her first cruise, in February. It was with my DW and I on the Escape. She had gotten 2 promo's(Beverage and SDP), and she prepaid gratuities with her cruise fare. She also got $50 obc. She had a wonderful week, drinking and eating where she wanted. For communication, she bought iConcierge for the week, as we did. So, that was $7.95. On the last day she went to the shops to see where she could spend the rest of her OBC. Those pricing changing has absolutely zero impact on her cruise. She bought an FCC on day 4.

We just booked on NCL Escape got the SDP and WiFi. The increase to the cruise for gratuities was $30 total for the 2 of us. We don't drink much so our drink tab is usually smaller than the gratuity would have been on the drink package and we like to do our own thing in the ports making the excursion credit not worth much to us. While we do not use that much WiFi on a cruise we do like to check in with the kids when they are not sailing with us, like on this cruise, and check in with the airline if we are flying out the day of debarkation which we will probably do on this cruise too. We may not use all the minutes, but there is no gratuity and we won't have to pay anything to use it. So for an additional $30 we get 4 meals each in the specialty restaurants and free WiFi. Plus our TA is giving us $200 in OBC which more than pays for our Daily Service Charge. Like I said previously when all is said and done we will be paying out net almost the same as what we did in 2013 for NCL Jewel cruise and getting 2 more specialty dinners (than we ate at on the Jewel) and enjoying a newer ship.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We just booked on NCL Escape got the SDP and WiFi. The increase to the cruise for gratuities was $30 total for the 2 of us. We don't drink much so our drink tab is usually smaller than the gratuity would have been on the drink package and we like to do our own thing in the ports making the excursion credit not worth much to us. While we do not use that much WiFi on a cruise we do like to check in with the kids when they are not sailing with us, like on this cruise, and check in with the airline if we are flying out the day of debarkation which we will probably do on this cruise too. We may not use all the minutes, but there is no gratuity and we won't have to pay anything to use it. So for an additional $30 we get 4 meals each in the specialty restaurants and free WiFi. Plus our TA is giving us $200 in OBC which more than pays for our Daily Service Charge. Like I said previously when all is said and done we will be paying out net almost the same as what we did in 2013 for NCL Jewel cruise and getting 2 more specialty dinners (than we ate at on the Jewel) and enjoying a newer ship.

Be sure to check your amenities confirmation on the OBC. My last two cruises on NCL, the OBC from my TA was non refundable and couldn't be used for the DSC. Previously, the OBC showed as refundable.

Really? $129 isn't bad at all.

What about this Vibe thing? I hear that sells out sometimes before they even get you onboard. Is that worth it? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just give them a try, no frills. I'd be going on the Escape.

Please come back and let us know what you think! And - what you make of Escape's SPA- I would love to try the newer ships - !

Be sure to check your amenities confirmation on the OBC. My last two cruises on NCL, the OBC from my TA was non refundable and couldn't be used for the DSC. Previously, the OBC showed as refundable.

I think we will probably have enough other purchases on-board to cover it even it doesn't :D. Between drinks, jewelry, and clothing, I usually spend at least that much. But I will make sure to check just in case. Thanks for the info.

Were you pricing Haven suites or Penthouse suites not in Haven?

JMHO even though you didn't ask:eek:

I wasn't pricing anything. I had a mini-suite booked and it did not include priority embark or debark or any other "suite" perks. The next available upgrade was to a Haven Suite for over $10,000 for an 11 day cruise vs. $4,900 for a mini-suite (looks to me to be about the same size and layout as a Carnival balcony) on the same cruise. There is absolutely nothing (except maybe a free 1oz gold bar every night) that could make a Haven suite worth that much additional cost.

I've also notice a good many complaints on CC regarding lines at the bars and dining locations. Probably due to the fact that just about everybody now gets "free" (actually priced into the fare) drink and dining packages. It's just the more I read on here the more I couldn't find any reason to cruise NCL. For all I know NCL may be worth a 25%-100% premium over Carnival. I just can't imagine how that could be true and I'm unwilling to bet that much money on it. I guess that's why there's more than one cruise line.

Edited by travler27

I wasn't pricing anything. I had a mini-suite booked and it did not include priority embark or debark or any other "suite" perks. The next available upgrade was to a Haven Suite for over $10,000 for an 11 day cruise vs. $4,900 for a mini-suite (looks to me to be about the same size and layout as a Carnival balcony) on the same cruise. There is absolutely nothing (except maybe a free 1oz gold bar every night) that could make a Haven suite worth that much additional cost.

I've also notice a good many complaints on CC regarding lines at the bars and dining locations. Probably due to the fact that just about everybody now gets "free" (actually priced into the fare) drink and dining packages. It's just the more I read on here the more I couldn't find any reason to cruise NCL. For all I know NCL may be worth a 25%-100% premium over Carnival. I just can't imagine how that could be true and I'm unwilling to bet that much money on it. I guess that's why there's more than one cruise line.

Mini-suites are not considered a Suite on NCL and does not include any perks. It is your decision as a consumer to spend your money where and on what you wish. There are complaints on threads about every cruise line. That said, there is a cruise line for everyone. Enjoy your next cruise!

if you dont pay the DSC until on board and it goes up. do you pay the higher price because you waited? the numbers guy in me says why prepay it at all. this is the only reason i can think to do it

That has been the case so far. If you pay the DSC by the time final payment is due you pay the amount that is in effect at that time. If the DSC amount goes up, you don't pay any more.

But it's a small amount. I have prepaid before, and did when the DSC went from 12 to 13.50 in two steps and saved that $21. But the savings were not really the reason; I like going on board without seeing the $27 per day start to rack up on the TV display of the on board account.

The arguments for or against prepaying are basically stupid; the amount isn't enough to worry about either way (letting NCL have it or keeping it in savings yourself). It only makes sense to prepay or not prepay because you want to.

Mini-suites are not considered a Suite on NCL and does not include any perks. It is your decision as a consumer to spend your money where and on what you wish. There are complaints on threads about every cruise line. That said, there is a cruise line for everyone. Enjoy your next cruise!

Yeah, I understand. I wonder why they don't call it a "maxi-balcony" instead of a "mini-suite". I won't give up and who knows, someday the stars might line up just right and we will give NCL a try. The only reason I commented is because of the title of this thread. I did want to take a cruise on NCL but the price difference is just way out of line.