Has anything changed on HAL since the end of 2012?

vicocala

Has this thread been closed indefinitely, or will it re-open soon?

Sorry. It was unlocked last week but it seems like the unlocking didn't happen. It should be open for posting now.

Hopefully everyone will stay on topic which will keep it open indefinitely.

I've read through this thread with interest because it's been three or four years since we sailed on a HAL ship and we are booked on Koningsdam next January.

We have sailed primarily with Celebrity the past several years and had to laugh because nearly everything discussed in this thread can be said about Celebrity, too. At least please tell me that they aren't playing rap music (I don't even consider it music) on HAL ships!

I think all the cruise lines are cutting back wherever they can. The price of a typical cruise on mass market lines has remained pretty consistent for quite some time. They are all definitely looking for ways to cut costs and increase revenues. It's been apparent on every cruise we've been on the past two years (includes a cruise on Princess and Royal Caribbean, too).

I'll take a beautiful ship with great crew and decent food any day. Looking forward to sailing with HAL again.

My traveling partner declares Maine Lobster used to be offered on every cruise; now only frozen lobster tails, maybe only because this was an European cruise?

Re the OP loss of cracked pepper and Parmesan Cheese: on our 50 day Maasdam cruise last October our waiter offered the pepper mill every night even though small ones were on each table and he always had Parmesan Cheese for every pasta dish and Caesar Salad.

Maybe our waiter was not the norm but I will tell you that he and the excellent wine steward contributed to making this our best cruise ever. Service is still paramount on HAL!

I worked with a woman who did that with people's names. Joe became Joey, Jeff became Jeffy, And we had a Ruth who she called Ruthie. Susie and I were "already there," so she didn't change our names. With all the variations of my name (including spellings), I'm used to people choosing one without asking me. I've been called Kathy, Katherine, Cathy, Catherine, Kate, Katie, Katrina, Katrinka...

HaHa My DW solved that problem by telling people it's spelled with a "Q" :p