Specialty dining question I'll bet you've never seen before

alexmom

Have you ever eaten at Moderno and had the meats ?

Kristine[/Quote]

Yes, we ate at Moderno earlier in the cruise that I mentioned above, and did have the meats. They were mostly dry and tough, a real disappointment. But the salad bar and the papaya ice cream dessert were wonderful, which is why we went back a second night (we had the UDP) and skipped the meats.

We love churrascarias, and have eaten at them many times on land, but Moderno just did not pull it off, at least not when we tried it.

I just feel that as a solo traveller, who is pretty flexible, I should be mindful of others. It doesn't make me feel slighted or unimportant.

And you would probably want to eat dessert at a later time anyway. Probably after you've had something somewhere else!

Carrie

OP: I don't see why you can't or shouldn't do this. A la carte is just that -- order whatever you want.

On the Gem last month, we just had salad and dessert one night at Moderno.

And since Moderno is not a la carte, you will pay full price for salad and desert! If you don't mind the $20+ for salad and desert, I'm sure they don't mind!!!

And since Moderno is not a la carte, you will pay full price for salad and desert! If you don't mind the $20+ for salad and desert, I'm sure they don't mind!!!

That salad bar is well worth $20+. Throw in a few bites of filet, very tender, the fried bananas and that cinnamon roasted pineapple and I am in heaven.

I know it's not a la carte; we had the UDP. My only point for the OP was that you can order whatever you want, and skip what you don't want, in any of the specialty venues.

I love Brazilian steakhouses, but I would hardly call the spices and flavors exotic. Lots of garlic and olive oil stand out. The salad bar can be very interesting, it does depend on the restaurant.

I'm not sure what meats Moderno serves, but the Parmesan chicken and pork loin are definitely a waste in my opinion. The Picanha is definitely one of the best, as well as anything garlic or lamb. And if it is garlic and lamb, heaven.

I don't think I would do one on a cruise ship, but if you have never done a Brazilian steakhouse, it is worth a visit.

My husband judges all Brazilian steakhouses by the one he ate at in the Gaylord Hotel in Nashville. It was a business trip so I wasn't with him. He said he thought of me with every bite.

I think I'll wait until we're in Nashville. We have a Fogo de Chao here in Minneapolis, which he says is VERY good, but not as good as the Nashville place-which he can even remember the name of. I just don't want to go into the city. It's a LONG drive for dinner ! I think I'll pass on Moderno too.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, we ate at Moderno earlier in the cruise that I mentioned above, and did have the meats. They were mostly dry and tough, a real disappointment. But the salad bar and the papaya ice cream dessert were wonderful, which is why we went back a second night (we had the UDP) and skipped the meats.

We love churrascarias, and have eaten at them many times on land, but Moderno just did not pull it off, at least not when we tried it.

Thanks for the information. I was excited by the prospect of garlicky leg of lamb and various beef preparations, but I can't imagine it could compare to a real Brazilian steakhouse.

And you would probably want to eat dessert at a later time anyway. Probably after you've had something somewhere else!

Carrie

No kidding, probably the salad bar after all those desserts !

Go whatever time you want and order whatever you want. NCL moved to a la carte to attract more business like this.

Thanks, I feel a lot more comfortable going in and ordering what I know I like-and can finish.

Time to go find those new menus and start making a (yummy) plan.

That salad bar is well worth $20+. Throw in a few bites of filet, very tender, the fried bananas and that cinnamon roasted pineapple and I am in heaven.

I think I might have missed something about the salad bar that you, and several others, know. What fried bananas and pineapple ? I didn't see them in desserts. I really need to look at that menu again.

I wonder if going when it first opens will insure moist and tender meat ?

I think I might have missed something about the salad bar that you, and several others, know. What fried bananas and pineapple ? I didn't see them in desserts. I really need to look at that menu again.

I've eaten there twice, and didn't even know there was a menu. The bananas are one of the sides they will bring to your table. The pineapple, is an item like the meat that they carry around and slice for your at your table. If you see some, tell them to stop and give you a piece. It's good.

oh my god the pineapple...i forgot about the pineapple until reading this. :p yummm!

how close is this to a fogo in regards to quality? i have to say at the salad bar the only thing i wanted is prosciutto there and the only meat i wanted was the filet

i could skip all the rest :)

i've never been to one on land, but I will say that it was my favorite meal of the entire cruise. the meat was some of the best meat i had and the salad bar was awesome. i shouldn't have filled up so much on the salad bar because all of the selections were awesome!

how close is this to a fogo in regards to quality? i have to say at the salad bar the only thing i wanted is prosciutto there and the only meat i wanted was the filet

I've visited several on land, including Fogo. In my opinion, this one isn't nearly as good as any others. It's still good, but the salad bar is much smaller, and the meat just doesn't seem to be as good quality. Our last cruise and our upcoming cruise, we don't even bother any more.

That is very good to hear but I still want to know what peak hours are so I can avoid them.

Why not drop into the restaurant at the beginning of the cruise while you are exploring the ship, tell them what you would like and ask them for their thoughts? Answers always vary, depending on who, when, and how you ask.

Also, it seems that things can change from day to day on NCL. What is allowed one day, may not be the next.

Pineapple comes to the table on a sword/spit. The plantains are a side dish next to the beans, rice, potatoes.

There is no need to insure the meat.

Pineapple comes to the table on a sword/spit. The plantains are a side dish next to the beans, rice, potatoes.

There is no need to insure the meat.

Speak for yourself. Miss Piggy's Tender Meat Carnivore plan was the best purchase I ever made.

Nice!

Did you do that to ensure that you wouldn't need to use your health insurance?

Well, the emergency room visits for food poisoning at least.

Fortunately, her plan can be upgraded to include cholesterol medication. Anything heart related is not covered.

It's not even in the same universe as Fogo, where we've eaten many times and always had a great meal. At Moderno, the quality of the meat is not as good. Nor cooked as well. It's a restaurant on a cruise ship. Just does not compare.

Edited by Turtles06

My point was that they aren't real busy and it would seem that the a la carte pricing model is keeping diners without comps or a package away.

When is all said and done, I'll probably play it by ear. I haven't flown by the seat of my pants in years ! I hope I remember how, LOL !

LOVE your gif !

Why not drop into the restaurant at the beginning of the cruise while you are exploring the ship, tell them what you would like and ask them for their thoughts? Answers always vary, depending on who, when, and how you ask.

Also, it seems that things can change from day to day on NCL. What is allowed one day, may not be the next.

I should have thought about doing this myself ! I've been so involved in planning everything so I can literally have my cake and eat it too !

If all else fails, I will show them pictures of my cat and my grandkids. That usually greases some wheels !