Water taxi from Caye Caulker back to Belize City

dng6325

Hi All,

We'll be on a tour to Shark Alley departing from Caye Caulker. We will be back in enough time to catch the 1:30 pm water taxi back to Belize City. I am however worried about the 1:30 ferry being full and not being able to board it to get back to Belize City. The next ferry does not come until 3:30, so way too late to make it before our last tender. Has it ever happened that the water taxi is full and unable to accept more people? I checked cruisett and there will be about 11,000 people from 3 different ships that day.

Also, are there any private tours to the Shark Alley departing from Belize City? I would consider them so I don't have to worry about the water taxi.

Thank you!

yes there are private excursions. EcotoursBelize, Splashwave (which may just head to Hol Chan closer to Ambergris Caye) and I think Coral Breeze is still running one. All 3 leave from and return to the Tourism Pier. All 3 have websites.

We had the same concerns, although we are just doing Caye Caulker, and not the Shark Ray Alley part. We booked the R/T boat ride with Coral Breeze tours for around $40 pp. It was worth the extra $$ to have some peace of mind that they will get us back in time for the ship.

I have been in Belize for eight years. The only time I know of that there were problems with the water taxi are the early morning on Monday, the evening on Fridays, during Belize holidays and bad weather.

They will always send an extra boat if they have a larger than normal crowd.

I have been in Belize for eight years. The only time I know of that there were problems with the water taxi are the early morning on Monday, the evening on Fridays, during Belize holidays and bad weather.

They will always send an extra boat if they have a larger than normal crowd.

That question needed an answer from someone living there with more experience than any day visitor would have - thanks!

Yes there are two airlines, I work for one of them. A great way to visit the island. much safer all around.

Can we pre-book a flight to Caye Caulker & return to Belize City? If so how? Was thinking of just taking the water taxi but now thinking this might be the safer route to ensure we make it back to the Ship on time...?

Can we pre-book a flight to Caye Caulker & return to Belize City? If so how? Was thinking of just taking the water taxi but now thinking this might be the safer route to ensure we make it back to the Ship on time...?

You can ferry one way and fly the other or fly both ways. We looked at a return flight but we would have had to shorten our day on CC so we used the ferry. Also remember you have to allow time to taxi from the Belize Municipal Airport back to the port. The ferries are reliable and a great option, but ferrying to CC and returning via air is a nice way to go if the airline schedule doesn't shorten your visit to CC too much. So just look at the flight schedules attached here to see if they work for your port times.

http://www.mayaislandair.com/belize-flights-caye-caulker

https://www.tropicair.com/en/

Edited by blue_water

You can ferry one way and fly the other or fly both ways. We looked at a return flight but we would have had to shorten our day on CC so we used the ferry. Also remember you have to allow time to taxi from the Belize Municipal Airport back to the port. The ferries are reliable and a great option, but ferrying to CC and returning via air is a nice way to go if the airline schedule doesn't shorten your visit to CC too much. So just look at the flight schedules attached here to see if they work for your port times.

http://www.mayaislandair.com/belize-flights-caye-caulker

https://www.tropicair.com/en/

Great info blue_water! So looking at the schedule they have a 4:20 arrival at Belize int and a 4:30 arrival at Municipal. Our Ship (JADE) departs Belize at 6:00pm. Which airport is closer to the port and would this scenario allow us plenty of time to make the last tender? (not sure what time the last tender would normally be) Or would this be cutting it too close?... I don't want to take any unnecessary risk on missing the last tender!

Great info blue_water! So looking at the schedule they have a 4:20 arrival at Belize int and a 4:30 arrival at Municipal. Our Ship (JADE) departs Belize at 6:00pm. Which airport is closer to the port and would this scenario allow us plenty of time to make the last tender? (not sure what time the last tender would normally be) Or would this be cutting it too close?... I don't want to take any unnecessary risk on missing the last tender!

Belize muni is the one you want. The intnl is just that, security lines customs and twice the price

Looking at Tropic Air they have departures from CC to Belize minu every hour on the hour for $54.40 (nonrefundable). Maya Island has departures at 12:15, 2:15, and 4:15PM with fares of $54.50.

So if your last tender is at 4 or 4:30PM you'd want to leave CC on the 2:15 or 3PM to be safe...