Grand Dining Room vs Specialty Restaurants

stromer

Actually, we are MORE likely to go to Terrace for dinner after a full day of touring because we don't feel like changing our clothes ...

Different strokes ...

Mura

Actually, we are MORE likely to go to Terrace for dinner after a full day of touring because we don't feel like changing our clothes ...

Different strokes ...

Mura

I absolutely agree, we are all different. The benefit of O is that all the dining venues are good, so you can do whatever pleases you.

Different strokes ...

Mura

And we cannot wait to get out of our touring clothes and freshen up before cocktails and dinner. Although, we do eat later - 8:30ish. Usually after coming back from touring, we like to go to the buffet or grill and get a lite, late lunch.

Just curious as to why the GDR was closed:confused:

It was closed the last night of our cruise because at 8:30 that night, we were disembarking. The end of our cruise. :(

Mr Techno hated being served in the Terrace - it didn't bother me except I do like tastes of things and they just wouldn't provide small portions! I'd say 'just a little' - which would be followed by a ginormous spoonful. 'A quarter of that' I'd say so a quarter went back in the bowl - still a ginormous spoonful!!! So food ended up being wasted.The grilled seabass each day was lovely though. Loved Toscana, not so keen on Jacques but that is because I'm not a big meat eater and really enjoyed the MDR except for the last night when the sea was a tad rough and I was a tad green :(

You may as well get all sides of the issue. We do not care for the Terrace Café and are not big fans of the MDR. We dine in the specialty restaurants as often as humanly possible. We love the larger/newer ships very much - great service -- great food -- but only in the specialty restaurants. There will be a lot of disagreement but food is subjective. Yes - they serve lobster and sushi in the Terrace Café but it did not meet our quality expectations.

On the other hand, the Surf (lobster) and Turf (steak) burger/sandwich with truffle fries at Waves for lunch is amazing. To save calories, we get double surf - no bun or turf. Fries have no calories when you add truffles so that isn't a problem;)

Different strokes for different folks. One size does not fit all. It is what you like and we

do not all like the same things. It is great that we have all these choices. Most ships do not.

Travelcat2, thank goodness you reminded me that truffles subtract calories. After eating too many regular fires at Waves, I noticed a bit more around the middle. Salvation is at hand, finally. I will pass the good news to DH, as well. The good laugh will also burn calories.

RJB, 49296302 is right. On Riviera and Marina, there are least seven alternative dining venues. This does not include room service and the time sensitive buffets all around the ship. You will never go hungry. Of course, food choice is highly personal.

Edited by warburg

And we cannot wait to get out of our touring clothes and freshen up before cocktails and dinner. Although, we do eat later - 8:30ish. Usually after coming back from touring, we like to go to the buffet or grill and get a lite, late lunch.(

Not to beat a dead horse (well, I'm trying NOT to) we also tend to eat later, although not as late as 8:30, more like 7:45-8:00. And we also like to freshen up after a long day, I just don't want to turn around and put on dressier things. SOMETIMES, we take advantage of the suite perk just to order dinner in the suite. That option didn't always exist, and I never thought we'd use it ... but I was wrong.

If we have a tour that ends earlier (like in time for lunch on the ship), we probably will do the "serve me my dinner" routine and go to one of the restaurants.

I've seen a number of comments from people who don't like Terrace -- boring food, whatever. That's not what we've found. (Maybe in the early days before Terrace was reborn on Marina and Riviera.) We haven't been on one of the "R" ships in since 2012 but I understand Terrace has been redone to bring it closer to what we find on the "O" ships. (We'll be on Nautica in June and Sirena in October, however, so we'll know better then.)

I do love the grill for dinner in Terrace. And if they don't have anything I want, I have the option of the other end of the room. I always know I will find SOMETHING, even if it's a bunch of appetizers and a salad. And I like the pasta there -- usually.

Mura

P.S. On Oceania's early days I didn't really care for dinner in Terrace. But as you can see I have changed my mind.

Not to beat a dead horse (well, I'm trying NOT to) we also tend to eat later, although not as late as 8:30, more like 7:45-8:00. And we also like to freshen up after a long day, I just don't want to turn around and put on dressier things. SOMETIMES, we take advantage of the suite perk just to order dinner in the suite. That option didn't always exist, and I never thought we'd use it ... but I was wrong.

If we have a tour that ends earlier (like in time for lunch on the ship), we probably will do the "serve me my dinner" routine and go to one of the restaurants.

I've seen a number of comments from people who don't like Terrace -- boring food, whatever. That's not what we've found. (Maybe in the early days before Terrace was reborn on Marina and Riviera.) We haven't been on one of the "R" ships in since 2012 but I understand Terrace has been redone to bring it closer to what we find on the "O" ships. (We'll be on Nautica in June and Sirena in October, however, so we'll know better then.)

I do love the grill for dinner in Terrace. And if they don't have anything I want, I have the option of the other end of the room. I always know I will find SOMETHING, even if it's a bunch of appetizers and a salad. And I like the pasta there -- usually.

Mura

P.S. On Oceania's early days I didn't really care for dinner in Terrace. But as you can see I have changed my mind.

Just a perfect review. We like to do exactly as you mention it. Come back to the ship, take a shower, have a drink and then a casual dinner. Always find something good to eat.