Anthem 3 day. First impressions.

The hardy northeasterners are determined to enjoy the "warmth" - lots of shorts. It feels like it's in the 40s. But sunny and bright and little wind. Snow has finally melted.

Actually just looked out. We aren't moving.

Northstar just started to move a little.

084b0e63f65f75d69dfc02fbb614183d.jpg

7b796f5950503ff15d4c061e690ca742.jpg

0b99c6e3645f662d47403d29122e16a9.jpg

Matt, it's Captain Henrik Loy who was on vacation from the Quantum and asked to fill in for 3 weeks until Captain Claus returns on March 19.

This was posted on the Current Captain's Thread today by someone who is also on your cruise http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49300320&postcount=3331

I thought it was Captain Henrik Loft Sørensen.

I felt motion on anthem that didn't necessarily match the seas. I understand the lack of information, as this was an issue on my recent anthem experience-- but you weren't getting off in Halifax, so I don't really understand why it matters. Better weather= good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm a seasoned cruiser, but have not been on Quantum Class.

However, I'm going to be traveling with some people that have not been on a cruise before.

Does this class move a lot more than other RC ships?

My 8 yr old was on Allure and had no issues, but our friends and my 3 yr old will be first timers.

I'm a seasoned cruiser, but have not been on Quantum Class.

However, I'm going to be traveling with some people that have not been on a cruise before.

Does this class move a lot more than other RC ships?

My 8 yr old was on Allure and had no issues, but our friends and my 3 yr old will be first timers.

That's funny :D my son was violently ill on the Allure. Go figure. My NON professional opinion is that the seas are just very choppy from the storms on the East coast. Who knows? :):)

For me this ship feels no different than any other large ship I have been on in terms of movement while in swells. Right now there is no movement at all. I really didn't feel it last night but obviously others did.

I hear they have decided to stay put so that we don't have wind across the decks. And so that people can enjoy the ship as much as possible. Even Johnny Rockets opened up.

Northstar now in full action. And it is actually really pleasant out if you're sitting in the sun. But I'm still wearing long pants and fleece.

18bed3f8ff317f31cf6ea722db7703fb.jpg

I am enjoying Northstar Bar before heading to Our Puzzle Break gathering.

And I will say again - crew has been really great. I have not encountered one sour puss :)

Edited by MattInFLL

The hardy northeasterners are determined to enjoy the "warmth" - lots of shorts. It feels like it's in the 40s. But sunny and bright and little wind. Snow has finally melted.

Actually just looked out. We aren't moving.

Northstar just started to move a little.

084b0e63f65f75d69dfc02fbb614183d.jpg

7b796f5950503ff15d4c061e690ca742.jpg

0b99c6e3645f662d47403d29122e16a9.jpg

Why are the pools covered? Is it because its too cold.

There are people in the outdoor hot tubs. But I think you would have to brave to get in the outdoor pool. The inside pools are very active.

Cafe Promenade:

c25fd82f45666b8e15dd73723e2f4371.jpg

1ec07b7fc04873711a19363b2b38031c.jpg

Patisserie

ce6e6c04d4df1b91ab48bc96ac164f72.jpg

Elevator art.

1516b6aae6f81a21933489d6d26e07b0.jpg

Do they know I'm alone in this cabin?

290a6880b7b6d3060ee6731e0801a119.jpg

Actually as a diamond plus member you get to choose a special welcome back amenity.

I don't drink wine, and I now have lots of beach towels, and Royal Caribbean slippers. So I thought I would try the fruit basket. Turns out that's exactly what I get anyway just for coming back. Note to self, I have to figure out something else to ask for on my checklist.

Actually as a diamond plus member you get to choose a special welcome back amenity.

I don't drink wine, and I now have lots of beach towels, and Royal Caribbean slippers. So I thought I would try the fruit basket. Turns out that's exactly what I get anyway just for coming back. Note to self, I have to figure out something else to ask for on my checklist.

Matt, it looks like you got the Fruit Plate and not the Fruit Basket which comes in a wrought container that is yours to keep.

For me this ship feels no different than any other large ship I have been on in terms of movement while in swells. Right now there is no movement at all. I really didn't feel it last night but obviously others did.

I hear they have decided to stay put so that we don't have wind across the decks. And so that people can enjoy the ship as much as possible. Even Johnny Rockets opened up.

Northstar now in full action. And it is actually really pleasant out if you're sitting in the sun. But I'm still wearing long pants and fleece.

18bed3f8ff317f31cf6ea722db7703fb.jpg

I am enjoying Northstar Bar before heading to Our Puzzle Break gathering.

And I will say again - crew has been really great. I have not encountered one sour puss :)

I am thrilled to hear that the Puzzle Break room is up and running again.

Have fun! Don't die! :D

I have a question about the route that the Anthem Of The Seas takes out of Bayonne. How close does the ship get to the Statue Of Liberty? Is it close enough that you get a nice look at the Statue Of Liberty... or are you nowhere near it... or what?

Matt - thanks for your response. The ship is pretty gorgeous isn't she?

Our cabin is almost completely in the back of the ship and up high. I think that has a lot to do with the movement we were feeling last night.

As for everyone saying I'm whining, you're so kind as always. I just have never been on a ship where the captain didn't at least do a morning update. It's almost noon and everyone is talking about it, and there has been nothing official. If you don't think it's strange, then I guess I'm the crazy one.

Off to enjoy the Anthem. The bionic bar is truly so much cooler in person. I'll have a drink for all of you.

Actually, on every RC cruise that *I* have been on, it's a Noon Update. :)

I have a question about the route that the Anthem Of The Seas takes out of Bayonne. How close does the ship get to the Statue Of Liberty? Is it close enough that you get a nice look at the Statue Of Liberty... or are you nowhere near it... or what?

It doesn't normally go past it - it's in the other direction from normal path of travel.

We could see it from our balcony... Sorry pic is sideways? lol

image.jpg.2365fb30f686016ca83f799b7b474c86.jpg

Edited by bobbie0253

Yes, we have always passed Miss Liberty sailing out of Bayonne. Also watch for the Tear Drop Memorial on the other side....A gift from Russia.

Really enjoying all your pictures, Matt........Sorta like cruise "fore play" We are boarding on Monday. Have a great mini cruise!

Edited by Ocean Dancer

But yesterday on the webcam....they showed the Anthem passing Ms. Liberty.:confused:

That was probably just the perspective of the camera. Cape Liberty is about 2 miles south of Statue of Liberty and the ship goes south of Cape Liberty to go to/from the sea, so unless the Captain has a special reason to go out of the way, it would not normally go past there. You can get a decent view from 2 miles away when the ship is pulling out of the port, but again, it does not normally go past it. On special occasions (like during the maiden Quantum sailing) the ship can make a point to go further up the river toward Manhattan and go past the Statue. It's a busy shipping channel, it burns extra fuel and adds at least 45 min to the trip so they wouldn't' do that on every sailing.

Yes, we have always passed Miss Liberty sailing out of Bayonne.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of going past - sure, at about 2 miles away at an angle. My definition of going past is what the Staten Island ferry does every day - Anthem doesn't usually do that. Pay attention the next time it leaves the pier - unless the Anthem makes a turn toward Manhattan and goes up river at least 2 miles (and then a u-turn to go out to sea), it is not going past the Statue.