Camping in Australia – are we crazy?

I am a novice but I am currently setting up a new horse float for camping (at horse events) so I've been drawing on the expertise of camping friends.

They also highly recommend the wiki camps australia app.

You could go South from Sydney down to (or towards) Melbourne. I haven't done it yet but many people do. There are some lovely things to see. One of my fav places is only an hour or so out of Sydney:

You could go along the Grand Pacific Drive to

Wollongong (Mt Kiera Lookout, Northbeach, Nan Tien Buddhist Temple - the biggest buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere, the Kiama blowhole)

and a couple of hours drive on detour (perhaps stopping off at Fitzroy Falls) and the Southern Highlands (Bowral, Mossvale, Bundanoon) would get you to Canberra (my home town) which is Australia's capital and has many institutions, Museums, galleries, etc (and is camping friendly). There is so much more to see, including the Great Ocean Road.

Going north towards Brisbane would be just as interesting with Wineries, Port Macquarie, etc.

Have Fun!

Totally good advice,better than heading in to the outback,and close enough to depature arrival,for cruise,brilliant.Doffs my hat at ya.You have nailed it there ya go edmontons.And just to add,follow that advice do the great ocean,up through the New England highway to Bris,then back down to sydney,unreal bit of the east coast and a smidge of inland country.

Edited by mrs and mrs

you only have to google Wicked Campers.

and click on images

not a good idea if you want normal people to talk to you when you get out..

I cannot understand why that company were ever allowed to have those signs

OMG TO MOST OF THEM😡:eek::eek:

• 4 months later...
I use the WikiCamps app on my tablet. You'll find details here;

http://www.wikicamps.com.au/

Also recommend the following websites for camping information;

http://caravanersforum.com

http://www.exploroz.com

All sites have a forum similar to this.

Homework,Homework. ( Keep away if you can?school holidays)

Country Towns, see the real fair dinkum Australia.

We enjoy Coastal/Mid Western NSW in our Caravan.(We Sold our Motorhome.)

There are heaps of great examples,all over OZ,however to a must,is staying with simplicity is Gulgong Showground,Mudgee,Wineries,excellent Pubs with meals and HISTORY and much much more.

All OZ States have great examples of the above.

Enjoy

Edited by campingman

Fabulous idea! People have covered pretty much everything but a couple extra thoughts came to mind.

I know Sydney has a few locations where they re-sell hiking and camping gear, sometimes it's backpackers who are done and flying home (and don't want to lug that weight with them), sometimes it's kids who did outdoor education at school and don't need their stuff anymore, sometimes it's a kit from a family who thought camping was a fabulous idea for about three days and gave it up. You can often pick things up cheaply and then resell them at the end of a trip. I'm not familiar with the starting cities you've mentioned but you might want to look it up!

As others said, Juicy is the more uniform purple and green, there are a couple others like Maui and Britz, and Wicked is probably best to steer clear. I know they've been banned from a few caravan parks and camping areas around here.

Caravan parks can sometimes have decent prices on powered sites or ensuite sites depending on the area, but as others have said they can be the more expensive option. Often that's because you're paying for their facilities, beach access, kids areas, pools, tennis courts, etc, so if you like to use those facilities once in a while then it can be good value for the extra cost. If you really don't care most of the time, there are heaps of cheaper places. Near us all the major dams have camping areas for very cheap.

And you sound like you are actually totally aware of the distances involved, but just in case it's worth mentioning - Australia is huge. You're very wise to have already thought about whether Brisbane-Perth is feasible in your time frame and plan it out. Some don't do that and think they can drive from Sydney to the barrier reef in a day or do a weekend trip to Adelaide from the east coast.