Camping in Australia – are we crazy?

I tried to do some searching on CC re the topic of camping in Australia but I couldn’t find very much information. My husband and I have booked a cruise for 2018 and we are thinking of renting a car or campervan and touring in Australia before the cruise. I’m hoping some experts here can help us out!

Our cruise begins in Perth and ends in Sydney.

Here are my questions:

1) - How common is it to rent campervans? (ie. bright green/purple vans I’ve seen advertised)

2) - Do you need to book campsites ahead of time?

3) - What is the approx. cost of a campsite?

4) - Camping on the western side vs eastern side (Perth or Sydney) – how do they compare?

Any other information would be very helpful!

** We would like to avoid having to bring our own camping equipment – that’s why we are considering a campervan. Otherwise, we would bring a small tent, etc and ‘donate’ it (or rent equipment). We are experienced campers and don’t require a luxury camping experience. We have also driven across Canada and the US numerous times, so we understand distances!

hi

I can't actually help with the information you need. However, if you ask this question on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Australia forum, you will find many posters who have done similar trips and who will have detailed advice and info

HTH

:)

I tried to do some searching on CC re the topic of camping in Australia but I couldn’t find very much information. My husband and I have booked a cruise for 2018 and we are thinking of renting a car or campervan and touring in Australia before the cruise. I’m hoping some experts here can help us out!

Our cruise begins in Perth and ends in Sydney.

Here are my questions:

1) - How common is it to rent campervans? (ie. bright green/purple vans I’ve seen advertised)

2) - Do you need to book campsites ahead of time?

3) - What is the approx. cost of a campsite?

4) - Camping on the western side vs eastern side (Perth or Sydney) – how do they compare?

Any other information would be very helpful!

** We would like to avoid having to bring our own camping equipment – that’s why we are considering a campervan. Otherwise, we would bring a small tent, etc and ‘donate’ it (or rent equipment). We are experienced campers and don’t require a luxury camping experience. We have also driven across Canada and the US numerous times, so we understand distances!

Renting campers. Very common, lots of options lots of sizes, lots of varieties.

Booking ahead is always a good idea, necessary or not will largely depend on the time of year and location.

Cost of campsite, sorry it's been a while so can't help you with that one, but there are also a fair number of roadside spots you can pull up, (campsites are better but).

West v East, not sure what you mean.

The green and purple vans you mention are certainly popular, probably see, on average one a day around my area.

A simple tent is also popular.

Well done on deciding to camp while here. It will be a great way to see the real Australia. I love my camping. Campervans might be the best way to see as you'll have everything you need to be self sufficient. Were you planning on camping on the east or west coasts or both? Prices of camping vary depending on where you are staying eg bush camping in the middle of nowhere ($10-$20 per night for unpowered site) or a flash upmarket caravan park which is a bit more. There even is such a thing as 'free camping' which are areas where you are allowed to stay for limited times and they have some facilities. If you google 'free camping in ...' it brings up a lot of info. If you are planning on camping in peak times eg Christmas school holidays you probably need to book ahead.

Renting a car and staying in caravan park cabins is a more economical option. Free camping is generally restricted to isolated areas and in most cases camping in car parks or beach reserves is prohibited. If still keen on hiring a camper make certain you do plenty of research as some companies get a lot of negative reviews.

Caravan park franchises such as the Big4 and Top Tourist park groups offer quality campsites and on site cabins at reasonable prices with great facilities.

Renting a car and staying in caravan park cabins is a more economical option. Free camping is generally restricted to isolated areas and in most cases camping in car parks or beach reserves is prohibited. If still keen on hiring a camper make certain you do plenty of research as some companies get a lot of negative reviews.

Caravan park franchises such as the Big4 and Top Tourist park groups offer quality campsites and on site cabins at reasonable prices with great facilities.

Wow Do you own a caravan park?

I could not think of anything worse than seeing Australia by staying in caravan parks.

As for being economical, you must be joking, a friend recently stay in a cabin for a week at a beachside caravan park, family of 4, he paid a lot more than we paid for a 2 week cruise for a family of 4.

Caravan parks are not what they used to be and are over priced for what they offer, as a motorhome owner they offer nothing I need or want.

If your lucky try googling motorhome relocations. Often companies need motor homes returned to original place of hire if it was a one way hire. You can get a motorhome for a dollar a day, some even include fuel. Downside, your limited to choice, ie take this vehicle from A to B within X number of days departing on this date.

Doesn't hurt to look, you might get lucky and / or you might visit a place that originally wasn't in your planning

Here is one link, there are others

https://www.drivenow.com.au/onewayrentals.jspc

Edited by stingau

Some good advice in comments here. I tend to agree that Caravan Parks and motels in Australia are generally way over priced, some parks are nice but really $50 to 60 a night for a bit of power and a shower? Motor homes are a great way to go and, if it fits in with your timing, a relocation is always a good deal. East coast v west coast is so different it may as well be different countries, one generally travels further between "viewing points" in the west! If you go the camping/motor home route, do seek out a camping guide like the Free Camps books, they list most of the available camping areas. Also, Australia is not like North America. You usually have to park some distance from the scenic area and walk in to view,often over unpaved tracks. Enjoy your travels here and watch out for the drop bears! :D

Steve.

I agree that a motorhome is the way to go.

I prefer the west coast of Australia but as Gnomey stated, it is a bit further between towns. I love the Shark Bay area and the Nambung National Park.

Did you plan on sticking to the coast?

Elaine.

Wow Do you own a caravan park?

I could not think of anything worse than seeing Australia by staying in caravan parks.

As for being economical, you must be joking, a friend recently stay in a cabin for a week at a beachside caravan park, family of 4, he paid a lot more than we paid for a 2 week cruise for a family of 4.

Caravan parks are not what they used to be and are over priced for what they offer, as a motorhome owner they offer nothing I need or want.

Overpriced???

They simply reflect the values that home owners put on Real Estate. If campers dont want to pay the going rate, a developer is waiting in the wings with a big fat cheque book.

We are in Perth and have driven across the Nullabour many times (with and without the kids and dog!). We tent it and there are many little drive in camp spots. And as someone else said, the closer east you go, the closer everything is.

How long did you have here?

Some great spots to see from Perth: Margaret River (if you are into wine), Esperance, Kalgoorlie, then straight across the Nullabour with little stops along the way, including Pildapa Rock, Head of the Bight, Bunda Cliffs, Ceduna and Port Augusta. From here you could head up to Coober Pedy, Alice Springs and Uluru (however with a campervan you are limited in roads to travel out of here as most are dirt/unpaved and campervan rentals are not allowed). If not, across to Adelaide and from there, take your pick! Do you head across the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne? Through the centre of Victoria to Melbourne? Through the Riverina area to Sydney????

The biggest thing to remember you can go 300km without seeing anything at all when crossing Australia! Oh and we have quarantine stations along the way! Travelling from the west, you cannot take fruit beyond Ceduna. Travelling from the East, you have until Border town near the SA/WA border to get rid of your fruit.

We are in Perth and have driven across the Nullabour many times (with and without the kids and dog!). We tent it and there are many little drive in camp spots. And as someone else said, the closer east you go, the closer everything is.

How long did you have here?

Some great spots to see from Perth: Margaret River (if you are into wine), Esperance, Kalgoorlie, then straight across the Nullabour with little stops along the way, including Pildapa Rock, Head of the Bight, Bunda Cliffs, Ceduna and Port Augusta. From here you could head up to Coober Pedy, Alice Springs and Uluru (however with a campervan you are limited in roads to travel out of here as most are dirt/unpaved and campervan rentals are not allowed). If not, across to Adelaide and from there, take your pick! Do you head across the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne? Through the centre of Victoria to Melbourne? Through the Riverina area to Sydney????

The biggest thing to remember you can go 300km without seeing anything at all when crossing Australia! Oh and we have quarantine stations along the way! Travelling from the west, you cannot take fruit beyond Ceduna. Travelling from the East, you have until Border town near the SA/WA border to get rid of your fruit.

If it's just across the bottom don't forget Albany.

Also look at a trip to Tas on the Spirt

Check the temperatures for the time you are travelling. Camping in summer can be extremely uncomfortable in Australian summers unless you have a more upmarket camper with airconditioning. Those are very expensive to hire and you will probably need powered sites, also quite expensive. Both east and west coast have a lot to offer depending on what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the days of cheap holidays in caravan parks (in great locations anyway) are going. Some cabins are now the same prices as hotels. Years ago when the kids were little we had a great family holiday at Tallebudgera caravan park. But can't afford to stay there anymore - can be over $300/night.

Wicked Campers is the name of campervan hire place - couldn't think of it before. I've never used them but they are very popular.

Wicked Campers is the name of campervan hire place - couldn't think of it before. I've never used them but they are very popular.

From what I've read they are becoming less popular these days:

- Some of their slogans can be offensive, particularly to women.

- at one stage their campervans had stickers on them encouraging renters to run down kangaroos.

- The Lonely Planet has removed them from their recommendations.

Unfortunately the days of cheap holidays in caravan parks (in great locations anyway) are going. Some cabins are now the same prices as hotels. Years ago when the kids were little we had a great family holiday at Tallebudgera caravan park. But can't afford to stay there anymore - can be over $300/night.

Some of the slogans and graffiti they paint on them could get you arrested.:eek:

From what I've read they are becoming less popular these days:

- Some of their slogans can be offensive, particularly to women.

- at one stage their campervans had stickers on them encouraging renters to run down kangaroos.

- The Lonely Planet has removed them from their recommendations.

Didn't know about that, thanks. Probably explains why they aren't so decorated anymore. Can't say I found anything offensive - a couple I might have been embarrassed to drive around though.lol

Didn't know about that, thanks. Probably explains why they aren't so decorated anymore. Can't say I found anything offensive - a couple I might have been embarrassed to drive around though.lol

Some of them are not offensive ...they are disgusting.

The owner operates world wide and even with approaches from Govt Depts he tells them all to stick it. In NZ , some Councils will be taking action under the signwriting by laws, and they have threatened to seize offending vans and leave travellers stranded.

I love camping. I've never hired a campervan, but they are very popular. My understanding is they require a huge security deposit - like in the $1000's, so you might want to ask them about that.

Without knowing where you plan to go, I'll just tell you my two absolute favourite camping grounds in Australia -

http://durrasnorthpark.com.au

This one is on the South Coast of NSW, stunning location, right across the road from beaches, forest walking paths (carry salt for leeches, watch out for snakes), wild kangaroos everywhere.

Next is -

http://www.bimbipark.com.au

This is in Cape Otway, about half an hour from Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. Koalas everywhere (do not ever touch a wild Koala, they will shred you to pieces, but many photo ops!). Many hidden beaches that are so stunning they could be movie sets. You'll often be the only person on them! Ask for directions to Crayfish Bay, Parker River Beach, Rainbow Falls. You'll find old shipwrecks, dinosaur fossil digging sites, and many other amazing sites. A guy called Mark grew up there, and runs tours for around $10 a person. Also not too far for a day trip to the twelve apostles.

Hello edmonton2 Camping in Australia – are you crazy? Most definitely not! We have travelled around Aus twice, 30,000kms over 9-10 months, also lots of shorter trips to here, there and everywhere, mostly staying in caravan parks but sometimes in bush camps as well,. A lot will depend on what time of the year you are coming to Australia and how much time you would have for your camping trip. The north of Australia has the wet season from about Nov - March and the weather could be very hot and humid with rain and thunderstorms and possibility of a cyclone. It is a lovely place to be during the winter months when it is cold down south and lots of "grey nomads" head up north to get away from the cold. I would think coming from Edmonton, you would not find our cold weather to be all that cold! Anyway, back to your trip - Another thing to consider is your cruise - does it go over the top of Australia or does it go from Perth to Sydney by the southern route, in which case you might like to do a camping trip heading from Sydney up the Queensland coast so you can do the Great Barrier Reef. Campervan hire is a big industry in Aus and there are numerous companies that rent all types of capervans from small to large RV's. Caravan parks are plentiful and range in price from $25 - $50 per night. It is not necessary to book in advance unless in popular area during school breaks or over Christmas etc. We have had no trouble getting a site in all our travels and we didn't book ahead. A good site to look at is http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au which has a lot of information. I live in Perth and can help you with information if you would like to contact me via email lynda at rickays dot com au. We are actually heading to your direction in late August - having 11 days in Banff/Jasper/Vancouver before doing a cruist to Alaska then flying to Hawaii for a few days and then cruising back to Sydney. Not looking forward to the long flight to get there but really excited about everything else.

You've got a great chance to explore WA given you start in Perth - the West Coast is less popular than east coast only due to the distance. Powered and unpowered sites are more affordable than onsite cabins - I've found hotels to be cheaper than a lot of cabins in caravan parks. Also a motor home gives your u access to many free camping spots along the way.

Cervantes/Pinnacles is stunning, in wildflower season that area is even better.

Kalgoorlie is well worth it, stay in the Boulder caravan park (on Burt St) but explore out of town to get the best experience. Hammond Park does wonderful afternoon tea and scones and is a beautiful haven in all that red dirt. Coolgardie museum is great.

Esperance is extreme beauty, even if your cruise is mooring there it's worth visiting on land to go out Cape Le Grande and Duke of Orleans way.

Albany is steeped in history and has gorgeous natural beauty.

Margaret River/Dunsborough/Busselton is popular for a reason - not just wine and cheese! Cowaramup inland has Millers icecream which is very worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app