I Wanna Sail the Prinsendam!

TidePrideGA

For some reason I don't even quite understand myself, I have fallen in love with the idea of the Prinsendam. I think it's partly the size, partly what I've read here, and partly there's just something about the name that appeals to me.

I'm a big goal setter. I'm setting a goal to sail the Prinsendam sometime in the next 3 years (assuming, of course, HAL keeps her - if not, the Maasdam would be my second choice).

I have a couple of questions:

1) It appears the Prinsendam only sails longer itineraries (14+ days). Is this true? Are there any 7 day itineraries? Until we retire we both have an issue taking off two weeks at a time, particularly since we do other land-based vacations as well.

2) It appears the Prinsendam primarily does the World Voyage and the Med, but they are in South America occasionally and the Caribbean next winter. Is this likely to continue?

3) Does the Maasdam also do primarily longer itineraries?

Thanks HALers!

The Prinsendam is an amazing ship and has gotten increasingly more glowing reviews as of late. She has really been shining since SOE enhancements as well!

Indeed, she definitely tends to do longer and more culturally enriching itineraries. This is primarily due to her capacity, etc.

The Maasdam has evolved a bit to cater to longer itineraries as well. An exception would be Canada & New England.

I would definitely sail either ship in a heartbeat but each ship definitely conveys a different feel on board. I have photologues of each ship on my site if you'd like to check them out.

We have sailed the Prinsendam twice, and would gladly do so again. The size is wonderful, as is the crew. Yes, she tends to do longer itineraries and to more unique places, since she can get into ports that larger ships can't. I don't think you'll have any luck with a 7-day itinerary.

We just sailed her around the British Isles. It was a wonderful trip, but not on their schedule for next year. Too bad. I hope they'll put it back some day.

Good luck with your plans. You will enjoy the Prinsendam. She's been a hidden jewel in the HAL fleet, but she's becoming more discovered as time goes on.

Shipcafe: I've already seen your photologues! Like everyone else in the Universe, I LOVE your site!

Jim: I followed your voyage with great interest and would love to do that itinerary. Maybe in 2007 - which is the earliest we could probably go anyway, more likely 2008. I'm Welsh by heritage and have always been something of a Anglophile (Britophile?)

The Prinsendam is an amazing ship and has gotten increasingly more glowing reviews as of late. She has really been shining since SOE enhancements as well!

Indeed, she definitely tends to do longer and more culturally enriching itineraries. This is primarily due to her capacity, etc.

Isn't the Prisendam called "the elegant explorer?" I would imagine that's because she does mostly "exploration" type journeys. She also did HAL's World Cruise last year.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I wanna sail the Prinsendam too!!!!! Our very first cruise in 1975 was on the original Prinsendam. It was even smaller and oh so elegant. We were hooked from the first moment we boarded and the white gloved steward took our carry-on bags and led us to our stateroom. His name was Christian and he was an absolute jewel. What a wonderful introduction to cruising. :D

I've spent 4 times as many days on the Prinsendam as all other ships combined... and I DEFINITELY want to sail her again. I may sail a Vista class next, but I really think Prinsendam and I were made for each other.:)

I've only had the pleasure to cruise for 14 days on the Prinsendam, but I have to say I think she is going to be a hard act to follow!:)

The Prinsendam is a very classic ship, well cared for, with the most amazing fresh flower arrangements that were changed weekly. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice was delivered daily by a prompt and smiling steward to start our days aboard. The Officers and Crew seemed to genuinely enjoy our and each others company. All in all, it made for a very special experience, and (I suspect) a really hard act to follow!:cool:

We were on the Prinsendam with localady and her DH and we were similarly impressed with her! DW loved the real walk-in closet and we had one of the two the best non-Cat S/PH cabins on her, to boot. We really liked the smaller size and intimate feel of the Prinsendam and the crew was outstanding. The Prinsendam quickly became our new favorite HAL ship--we hope HAL keeps her!

My God, how wonderful. I was just looking at a discount website and see the Prinsendam is sailing in Jan. '06 from Ft. Lauderdale (where I am basically) for 104 day around the world cruise. Was looking at the day-by-day itinerary. Fabulous. At the discounted price, now all I need is the $40,000 fare for a balcony cabin, and then, of course, all the extras. Well, who knows, maybe someday the lottery will come through. Nice to dream about it. Happy sailing!

My DW & I sailed on the Prinsendam last June out of Piraeus on the Black Sea Cruise and it was in no small part due to the great review of Grumpy1 & Slinkie at the begining of their world journey.

We had a marvellous time, the ship was the right size for us, our SS cabin was fantastic, the service was fabulous and the food was 1st class.

One benefit was that we were possibly, apart from about 5 children, some of the youngest people on board and we easily interacted with the people on board.

We have been looking for more sailings of her next year and the year after and are trying to fit in with our European trip in both those years.

For one that has driven well over 100,000 k's in Europe the Prinsendam was a fantastic experience and would highly recommend her to anyone.

Last summer as we were preparing for our cruise on the Prinsendam and I found these boards, I was kind of disappointed because it seemed that nobody ever mentioned the Prinsendam. It is probably because of the itineraries, but I didn't know that and was very nervous that we had selected the ship that no one else wanted.

I can't help you with your questions, I'm just here to fuel your fire with your dream. I will be on her again in 3 weeks. I don't have anything else to compare her with, but I just couldn't imagine any better ship.

I'd seen discussions about ship problems, watched every episode of the Love Boat, and generally tried to prepare myself for this trip. I chose the trip because of the itinerary (Lisbon to Athens with many wonderful stops) but I had no idea how much I would enjoy everything about the ship.

I loved so much: the interesting and friendly people I met; a ship sized so that there was always just a short walk to anywhere else; never a line for a meal; always a chair available whether it was around the pool, a table on the Lido, or a lounge chair on the promenade deck; the number of different public rooms, one to suit each of my moods or the weather; service that was just the good, yet warm, the staff in the spa who were honestly friendly; the piano player in the Crow's Nest.

My list could go on and on. susana.

I sailed the Eastbound Transatlantic in May on Prinsendam & loved the ship. Not only is there fewer passengers but since teh ship was originally built for Royal Viking Line(top of the line cruise line) the details show. Both dining rooms are great & the lido was like being at a hotel patio instead of a crowded cafeteria.

THe cabins were great....I was in a lower deck outside cabin & loved it. Itravelled solo & all too much room to myself. The beds are divine!

The public rooms are intimate...as someone mentioned - never a line. the passenger were all well travelled & interesting. Getting on & off teh ship in port(even with tenders ) took a few minutes).

Check-in in NYC took 10 minutes...when I disembarked in Barcelona I had a 9:30 a.m. train to Madrid to catch. I went to the gangway @ 8:15 & was in a cab after picking up my luggage @ 8:25 SOOOOOO Easy!

The full promenade deck is wonderful to walk or sit in a real wood deck chair(grab a drink fromm the Ocean Bar before heading outside). The aft pool only had maybe 12 deck chairs around it - thats all that were needed & its where I swam most days.

One other thing is that you might consider - the transatlantic was 14 days ..on the 10th day we reached Lisbon - you could fly home from there. I asked about leaving the ship early(I love the ocean - but wanted to be in Europe more) & was told there would not be a problem.

Good luck & enjoy!

My husband and I will be on the "Elegant Explorer" in just about 15 days. We chose her for her intimate size, she doesn't cater to children (sorry, we like grown-ups!!) and her itineraries had more places that I had not visited (hard when you've been to 27 countries!!).... We are really looking forward to seeing the ship!!

I think I will be spoiled due to the Prinsendam due to the size... I did not like the Grand Princess because it was so large and toooo many children (which boosted the capacity well over 3000!!). (Sorry, I hope I'm not offending anyone -- I do love children -- I have some wonderful nephews!!).

TidePrideGA -- it IS hard to take off so much time (we still work, too) but if you make the long flight, you might as well enjoy it!! Hope all turns out as planned!!

On the 2005 World Cruise, we were talking with a woman at lunch one day. Her complaint was that the ship was too small and open. She said she could always find a quiet corner someplace on the larger ships to relax and read, but found it difficult on the Prinsendam. She was referring to inside spaces, not deck areas. Seems there were always little groups playing cards or knitting or just chatting in places like the Half Moon, Java Cafe, Library... and she just couldn't find a place to be off by herself... Somehow, I thought that's what cabins were for... Oh, well.... I'll take the Prinsendam over the large ships any day.

I frequently spent an hour or two, all by myself in the room where you can smoke (was it called the Oak Room?). There was never, ever, ever anybody in the adjoining card playing rooms.

Also, I found that in the reading areas, people were quite respectful of other people's need of quiet. In fact, if I were going to generalize, which I am going to do right now, I would say that one of the things I liked about the ship's passengers was there general respect of other people.

susana.

Your observations are the same as mine. I thought there were always quiet places available... so after thinking about what she had said, I came to the conclusion that she might have sailed a larger ship in 2002-2003 when they were sailing 1/3 to 1/2 full. I can't imagine the full larger ships would have more quiet places.

One other thing is that you might consider - the transatlantic was 14 days ..on the 10th day we reached Lisbon - you could fly home from there. I asked about leaving the ship early(I love the ocean - but wanted to be in Europe more) & was told there would not be a problem.

This is a great idea, Rotterdam! I think we could manage 10 days or so, particularly if we could maybe swing it over a time period where a Monday holiday would fall in there.... after all, a "week's vacation" is actually nine days counting both weekends. This might definitely be more doable with some planning.

I have to agree with Grumpy - there was so much space onboard - in & out with or without sun.

If that woman had a hard time finding a quiet space it was probably the week HAL booked teh Boy & Girl Scouts along with the RED HATTERS!

On the Transatlantic we had 620 passengers - I think full complement is 690!

Don't forget to check out the Stephen Card paintings of great liners in the stairwells (Stephens is Prinsendam here on CC).

My mother and I will be on the Prinsendam in Aug/Sept of next year on their Rome to Istanbul sailing.. Prinsendam has the greatest itineraries! We picked the cruise on the basis of itinerary - she wanted Athens, Corfu and Rome.. I wanted Venice for more than one day, Istanbul and Florence.. So not only are we going on a great itinerary, we seem to have inadvertently booked on a ship that's really being celebrated lately. We're both very, very excited.

I was a bit concerned when we first booked because the ship is rather older than the ones that my mother has been on in the past and I thought it might show it's age. When we were booking, our travel agent was telling us that they cut the ship in half and that it was old and run down... I've since deduced that she is a Crystal devotee and pushes their cruises religiously. I've been reassured completely by all of the wonderful reviews and comments I've read over the past while.

I've only been on one cruise myself and it was on the Oosterdam - I really didn't think much of the atmosphere. It was a short repositioner and the boat was really busy - lots of kids. I'm only 19 myself, but I have to say, I might as well be 90 considering the way I like to spend my time. I'm counting on being one of the youngest people on the ship but I'd take the knitting circle over the disco anytime! :P

I'm looking forward to less people, the smaller boat, and a more "old-world" cruise experience. On our Pinnacle night on the Oosterdam I put on a black velvet dress, nice shoes and some jewellery - as I was leaving our stateroom for dinner a couple walked past me in their sweatpants and, after passing me, said "...dressed for the ball!" and laughed. I for one think that the illusion of elegance you get to flirt with is one of the fun things about cruising. *bitter*

Anyway, can't wait for next year. I'm completely messing up my schedule to make this cruise work - it'll be three weeks right in the beginning of the fall semester and I'm very irresponsible for going, but - five days in rome, sixteen days on the Prinsendam in an SS, business class transatlantic... Who could resist?

Sarawr-

What a fabulous opportunity for you!! :D

I think you will love the Prinsendam.

The fact is, although you will miss classes, you will learn far more on this voyage on the Prinsendam. Each of the cities you have mentioned are full of history and traditions. School is fine, but travel really teaches you about our world!!!! ;)

Very interesting post and incredible timing as my wife and I are looking at the Prinsendam for my "retirement" cruise in a few years. Can't afford, both in time and money, the whole around the world cruise but would love to pick up a section, like 14 days or so, and visit some unique places. Assuming she's still around and part of the HAL fleet we might just give her a try. It's not that we'd be against the Maasdam, since our favorite HAL ship is the Ryndam, but the Prinsendam just sounds and looks fantastic.

We have done 3 cruises on this dear little ship - Baltic 02, Aus/NZ 03, UK 05 and we just booked Athens to Lisbon for Oct. 1st, 06. We really like this ship and we agree that it probably does do the longer more exploration style trips.These are the itineraries that we favor so we are repeat passengers. We love this ship and have been on the Rotterdam and the Westerdam too. Some day, we like to experience the Maasdam. etc.

Don and Kay Stroud

The Prisdendam was our second HAL cruise (Sydney to Singapore- 03) and it is a lovely ship with excellent service and excellent food. However, one must consider that I love anything that someone else cooks and puts in front of me. (And cleans up afterwards)

The ship is smaller than some of the "ocean giants" currently sailing. Probably the only negative is its small pool although there is more than one pool on board. The pool which I think is on the Lido deck is quite small.

Our Prisendam cruise was after the first terrorist attack in Bali, and they chose to skip that stop. I was sorry to miss Bali, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It is just 3 months until we board the Statendam (Auckland to Sydney)

Happy sailing, everyone!

My God, how wonderful. I was just looking at a discount website and see the Prinsendam is sailing in Jan. '06 from Ft. Lauderdale (where I am basically) for 104 day around the world cruise. Was looking at the day-by-day itinerary. Fabulous. At the discounted price, now all I need is the $40,000 fare for a balcony cabin, and then, of course, all the extras. Well, who knows, maybe someday the lottery will come through. Nice to dream about it. Happy sailing!

Lauderdalebob,

I am curious...you state that a discounted web site is offering this cruise for a balcony cabin at 40,000? My husband booked this cruise six months ago for considerably more than that price, outside cabin with port hole. While we are happy to have this cabin and look forward to the world cruise, I find it hard to believe that one can still book this cruise with a balcony cabin for 20,000 per person. We are Mariners, and hopefully got some kind of discount, but if one can still get a balcony cabin for that price is hard to comprehend!!!

I wonder if you meant 40,000 per person?

baybeachgirl

baybeachgirl

Archived