MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

I have to ask...who is this Chris Elliott anyhow?

Chris Elliott is a consumer advocate and journalist. He writes a weekly column that may be published in your newspaper where he handles a person's case. He has a website now and features these cases on his website. There is also a forum and people posts problems on the forum. Moderators provide helpful advice along with other posters. Similar to here but completely based on consumer issues.

And I hope I don't get myself banned talking about another site.:eek:

OMG....it took me FOREVER to find you. A little help please. I was just on Trip Advisor....looking up Tobacco Bay and lo and behold, I saw a picture you had posted. We have been to Bermuda 4 times and this time we want to go to Tobacco Bay. Do you have a review. (love your reviews).

I looked at her profile (for some reason her signature isn't showing up anymore) and found her review of Tobacco Bay for you. http://tiny.cc/isavzx

Sickness on a cruise can ruin everything. I just cringed reading about your trip home. So sorry you got sick. :(

I know that we all pass the washy washy crew on the way into the buffet and NCL changes all utensils we touch every thirty minutes (you can watch the colors of them change if you are in there very long), but to me the MOST important thing is to use the sanitizer or go wash your hands AFTER you fill your plate and before beginning to eat. You just touched something that everyone else is touching and that is when you should have clean hands. Then you can unroll your napkin with the fork/knife in it or use you hands to touch your food such as a sandwich or a roll. If you really want to be safe then stay away from any cold foods (sandwiches, salads) that are not cooked before eaten. As a nurse, I am very mindful of these things, especially when eating in the buffet.

Edited by medicalma'am

I am in awe of the fact that you had the were with all to take pictures in the airport and on the plane while you were so sick. That is commitment! :eek:

So sorry you had to end your vacation like that.

While reading your review the past week I was able to order and receive the snorkeling googles, they are a gift for my husband's birthday in May.;)

Did Sakari become ill at all?

Thank you for the review I really enjoyed reading along. Now I will head back to your Bermuda review for lots of helpful information to get us ready for our trip there in May!

Ok...its at the point where we are going to start paying you to go on cruises, just so we'all have more of your reviews to read. This one was a doozy. I'll apologize now for the chuckle I got over the last part. We've all been there at some point. Never a dull moment. thanks!!!

Thank you for the great review of the Jade and it's ports, I am so impressed. Wondering if you can help me, we are going to be bumped from our planned Jade cruise next Feb because of it being used for charters while the Pearl is in dry dock. Wondering if you had a choice between the Epic, Getaway or Escape which would you pick. Would like to stay with NCL but might have to pick a different cruise line.

I enjoyed this last time, so figured why not do it again. They were good again minus the anchovies.

Ours meals came. Mine was yummy BUT it didn't quite taste as good as the other night. The plate wasn't half as big as the other night and there was less bacon and it just didn't taste quite the same. But, it was still good.

P2260911%20copy-L.jpg

Carbonara - for two: Pasta spaghetti (or any favourite pasta) - bacon, onion, mushroom (your preference). Prepare pasta - meanwhile fry onion - add bacon + mushroom -add cream at the end. once pasta is cooked - throw in fried foods + cream- mix together - warm plates . Serve up on plate - at service - crack one raw egg into each plate and quickly mix through - the egg will cook with the heat of the pasta - add lashings of freshly sliced/grated Parmesan. Also good with chicken :)

Thank you for taking the time to write such amazing accounts of your and your family's adventures and taking us along for the ride!

Reading the last part, I felt so bad for you and your husband! What a way to end such a fantastic week, but you all seem like the type that remember the good and forget about the bad. Awesome. :D

Enjoy your next cruise! We'll be here waiting to hear about your adventures!

Sorry your cruise ended with a bout with Noro for you and DH, but good that Sakari dId not get it. I sure hope you have gotten all the bad stuff out of the way before your Breeze cruise. You really do have an amazing positive attitude. I'd like to think I would deal with all the issues you had on this Jade cruise as well as you did. I am looking forward to your Breeze review in a couple of weeks. I hope it will be all about sunny skies, smooth sailing, and no problems at all for you and your family.

OMG....it took me FOREVER to find you. A little help please. I was just on Trip Advisor....looking up Tobacco Bay and lo and behold, I saw a picture you had posted. We have been to Bermuda 4 times and this time we want to go to Tobacco Bay. Do you have a review. (love your reviews).

Yep, I have 2 reviews of Tobacco Bay. Just look below my post here in my signature line and you'll find both of them listed under Bermuda and click on them. :)

Thanks for another great review and only you can describe your parting gift with such humor.

I have a question though. I thought Noro also included going from both ends.

Well, it can. But not necessarily. Usually vomiting happens in children and adults usually are blessed with the "other end". Although it could be both...and truth be known, I probably could have had both ends going and many times I was sure that was going to happen. :o

Chris Elliott is a consumer advocate and journalist. He writes a weekly column that may be published in your newspaper where he handles a person's case. He has a website now and features these cases on his website. There is also a forum and people posts problems on the forum. Moderators provide helpful advice along with other posters. Similar to here but completely based on consumer issues.

And I hope I don't get myself banned talking about another site.:eek:

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining that. I was a little confused if he was just someone out there with some type of "self help" or a part of NCL somehow dealing with issues. Thanks for the explanation. :)

I looked at her profile (for some reason her signature isn't showing up anymore) and found her review of Tobacco Bay for you. http://tiny.cc/isavzx

Oh sorry. My signature line is so long that when I was doing this review, I un-clicked the "Show your signature" box every time I posted so that it wouldn't take up as much space when people were reading. I figured there was no reason to post that every single post within my review thread here.

Thanks for posting the link to Tobacco Bay. :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

And sorry for interrupting this thread.:):):)

No problem. I hope you find the Tobacco Bay review useful and have a great time if you end up going there. :)

Another great review!!! Hope to meet you on the breeze in 7 days!!!!!!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. :)

Sickness on a cruise can ruin everything. I just cringed reading about your trip home. So sorry you got sick. :(

I know that we all pass the washy washy crew on the way into the buffet and NCL changes all utensils we touch every thirty minutes (you can watch the colors of them change if you are in there very long)' date=' but to me the MOST important thing is to use the sanitizer or go wash your hands AFTER you fill your plate and before beginning to eat. You just touched something that everyone else is touching and that is when you should have clean hands. Then you can unroll your napkin with the fork/knife in it or use you hands to touch your food such as a sandwich or a roll. If you really want to be safe then stay away from any cold foods (sandwiches, salads) that are not cooked before eaten. As a nurse, I am very mindful of these things, especially when eating in the buffet.

[/size']

Exactly. It's weird how the hubby and I have never actually talked about getting sick on the cruise or the possibility of others not washing their hands and what could happen. BUT, for some reason this cruise we brought it up on the second day. Then it was the one and only cruise we got sick on. I have always said that washing your hands coming in isn't going to matter if others don't because where you get it is going to be by touching the utensils while getting your food. I am going to bring hand sanitizer and attach it to my purse I carry around with me on the ship this time and before we eat anything, we are at least using that. I never want to experience this again. :(

I am in awe of the fact that you had the were with all to take pictures in the airport and on the plane while you were so sick. That is commitment! :eek:

So sorry you had to end your vacation like that.

While reading your review the past week I was able to order and receive the snorkeling googles, they are a gift for my husband's birthday in May.;)

Did Sakari become ill at all?

Thank you for the review I really enjoyed reading along. Now I will head back to your Bermuda review for lots of helpful information to get us ready for our trip there in May!

Nothing will keep me from taking pictures...nothing! LOL My camera is on my at all times.

Oh how neat that you were able to get the hubby the snokeling goggles for his birthday. I hope he enjoys them. I pulled out my instruction book today and I'm going to take a picture of the "colors" to take with me so that I might have better luck with them this time. LOL

Nope. Sakari did not get sick at all. Lucky her. But I wouldn't wish that on her and would much rather have it than her. Maybe people that don't wash their hands don't eat healthy or something...because she loves eating her fruit. Actually, for the most part, I'm always the one that is touching the utensils while she holds her plate and I put the food on there. So really, she's not touching them much if at all. Maybe that's why? It's the only thing I can think of because I can guarantee that she ate that fruit with her hands every time. :cool:

I really miss Bermuda. The thought of not going there this year after going twice last year has me sad. Even my youngest son said he wants to go back there and would rather go there than any other place. I might just have to book something there for this summer since I really haven't decided what I want to do yet.

Ok...its at the point where we are going to start paying you to go on cruises, just so we'all have more of your reviews to read. This one was a doozy. I'll apologize now for the chuckle I got over the last part. We've all been there at some point. Never a dull moment. thanks!!!

You know every time I come back from a cruise and do a review, there's at least one person that says the same thing...I'm still waiting on that cruise though. :D

Honestly, it seems like I always have some type of "doozy" when cruising. LOL Just not a sickness yet. I guess one sickness out of the last 13 cruises in 5 years are pretty good odds considering the amount of people on each cruise/plane...it had to happen sooner or later I guess. No need for apologies...although the hubby and I felt deathly ill, we were also laughing at the amount of time we spent in the bathroom once we got home to the amount of time we spent out of it. It became a game of ...who can wait the longest before running to the bathroom. :D The hubby always won. I had it worse than him and longer than him. :(

I'm sorry that your trip had to end on such a sour note with getting sick.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Yea it sucked but we still had an awesome time! :)

Thank you for the great review of the Jade and it's ports, I am so impressed. Wondering if you can help me, we are going to be bumped from our planned Jade cruise next Feb because of it being used for charters while the Pearl is in dry dock. Wondering if you had a choice between the Epic, Getaway or Escape which would you pick. Would like to stay with NCL but might have to pick a different cruise line.

Aww, so sorry you got bumped.

Well, I haven't been on the Escape yet, so I really can't comment on that. I'm sure it's a wonderful ship and of course the newer the ships get, the more they have on them.

So, I guess it would depend on what you like to do and type of shows you like to see. If you are really active and like the ropes course and stuff like that, then you would want the Getaway. If that doesn't interest you, then maybe the Epic.

They are "somewhat" the same. However, the Epic only draws a certain type of person and there are complaints about the wavy rooms and the clear glass showers. So if you want the Epic, just do some research on it and be aware of how it was designed (for the European clientèle I'm told). I personally loved the Epic, but when I sailed her, she was brand new, had Blue Man on her and we stayed in 2 studio rooms, which was awesome! Double everything with super cool lighting. :D I will be in one of those "wavy clear shower/bathroom glass" rooms in November with no Blue Man. I'll let you know how it goes...with another review of course. We'll see if the Epic continues to be my favorite ship in the fleet after that. :)

Carbonara - for two: Pasta spaghetti (or any favourite pasta) - bacon, onion, mushroom (your preference). Prepare pasta - meanwhile fry onion - add bacon + mushroom -add cream at the end. once pasta is cooked - throw in fried foods + cream- mix together - warm plates . Serve up on plate - at service - crack one raw egg into each plate and quickly mix through - the egg will cook with the heat of the pasta - add lashings of freshly sliced/grated Parmesan. Also good with chicken :)

My mouth is watering now. It seems easy enough to make. I will be going to the grocery store once I return from my next cruise. I am going to have to make this. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write such amazing accounts of your and your family's adventures and taking us along for the ride!

Reading the last part, I felt so bad for you and your husband! What a way to end such a fantastic week, but you all seem like the type that remember the good and forget about the bad. Awesome. :D

Enjoy your next cruise! We'll be here waiting to hear about your adventures!

Thank you for the comments. Yea, it doesn't do any good to dwell on anything bad, it just brings you down and I have other things to focus on. Plus once it is gone, you have a tendency to forget the feeling of feeling so crappy anyhow. :)

Sorry your cruise ended with a bout with Noro for you and DH, but good that Sakari dId not get it. I sure hope you have gotten all the bad stuff out of the way before your Breeze cruise. You really do have an amazing positive attitude. I'd like to think I would deal with all the issues you had on this Jade cruise as well as you did. I am looking forward to your Breeze review in a couple of weeks. I hope it will be all about sunny skies, smooth sailing, and no problems at all for you and your family.

Yep, it's all gone now. The hubby's lasted for 5 days and I had it for 8 days. Sakari got lucky and I'm so glad.

I just roll with the punches as they come and move on. Otherwise you bring everyone down around you and that's the last thing I want to do with Sakari around. Just because we were feeling bad, I didn't want it to affect her and have a bad time. Ahh, the sacrifices we make for our children.

I was sorry to read that you and your DH got the dreaded norovirus but glad Sakari didn't. She is a beautiful little girl. Does everyone think she looks like you? Looking forward to your next review when you sail on the Breeze.

Sorry your cruise didn't end so well :( Luckily Sakari wasn't ill though.

Good to hear they eventually gave you a new shirt but not good to hear all the running about you had to do to try sort it. I don't know how you kept your cool with that room steward :mad:

Thanks for another great review and Happy Birthday! I can't wait to read your review of the Breeze! I just sailed on her for the third time in early March and she is my favorite Carnival ship. Is your extended family going on the Breeze, too? I'm going on the Getaway in May and am looking forward to experiencing that ship, especially with the unlimited beverage package. Would you recommend the Illusionarium show with a young child? I'm trying to figure out if it is appropriate for my 5 y/o son.

Sorry you had such an awful cabin steward. I don't know if I would have been as kind as you! The laundry incident would have made me lose it!

Thank you for posting such a great review of your trip! I am frantically getting things ready for us to hit the road on Thursday afternoon (headed to Texas by car from Minnesota). We will board the Jade on Saturday! Your review was exactly what I needed to get the motivation to get crap DONE! :D

I am terrified of getting sick, and was so sad to read that you and hubby got the "ick" from Jade. I know it is a crap shoot (pun intended)...I pray that we all avoid that nastiness! I have a daughter with health issues that pertain to her intestines, and I'd rather not even try to imagine what such an illness would do to her....:eek: So, I am going with positive thoughts, hand wipes, sanitizer, and Clorox wipes with Hydrogen Peroxide...and more positive thoughts! :)

We have made no plans for Belize yet...any suggestions for adults with older teens?

Thanks again for all of your amazing pictures and commentary! It was delightful, and your daughter just makes me smile...even when she was "grumpy"!

I was sorry to read that you and your DH got the dreaded norovirus but glad Sakari didn't. She is a beautiful little girl. Does everyone think she looks like you? Looking forward to your next review when you sail on the Breeze.

Thanks and yes, everyone thinks she's my mini-me. I pull out pictures of me while growing up and she is a replica of me when I was young as well. :)

Sorry your cruise didn't end so well :( Luckily Sakari wasn't ill though.

Good to hear they eventually gave you a new shirt but not good to hear all the running about you had to do to try sort it. I don't know how you kept your cool with that room steward :mad:

Yes, I was just glad we were able to get another shirt like the last one even though it took some work for me to get it.

Thanks for another great review and Happy Birthday! I can't wait to read your review of the Breeze! I just sailed on her for the third time in early March and she is my favorite Carnival ship. Is your extended family going on the Breeze, too? I'm going on the Getaway in May and am looking forward to experiencing that ship, especially with the unlimited beverage package. Would you recommend the Illusionarium show with a young child? I'm trying to figure out if it is appropriate for my 5 y/o son.

Sorry you had such an awful cabin steward. I don't know if I would have been as kind as you! The laundry incident would have made me lose it!

Thanks for the birthday wish and comments. I appreciate it.

I have a feeling that the Breeze will become my new favorite ship as well. My fingers are crossed and hoping that I'm not just hyping it up all these years more than what I should have.

Nope the extended family will not be on this cruise this time. It will just be the 3 of us. (I don't know how I keep getting this lucky??? :p). Kendra really wanted to go this time and she is actually the one that has always said she wanted to go on the Breeze and tried to get me to book every time, then we would end up on one of NCL's due to the difference in the cost or location. I'm sure she's steaming mad at this point. LOL But, she's having surgery while I'm on the cruise (I'm not happy about it either but that was the date available) and they are also buying another house this year, so these past two cruises just wasn't in the cards for her family this time. They will be on the Epic in November...along with my youngest son as well. So I have awhile to prepare for that still. :D

Oh YES I would recommend the Illusionarium. It was amazing and Sakari loved it so much we had to keep reminding her to eat. She was so busy watching the show and was amazed. She loved it!

Thank you for posting such a great review of your trip! I am frantically getting things ready for us to hit the road on Thursday afternoon (headed to Texas by car from Minnesota). We will board the Jade on Saturday! Your review was exactly what I needed to get the motivation to get crap DONE!

I am terrified of getting sick, and was so sad to read that you and hubby got the "ick" from Jade. I know it is a crap shoot (pun intended)...I pray that we all avoid that nastiness! I have a daughter with health issues that pertain to her intestines, and I'd rather not even try to imagine what such an illness would do to her.... So, I am going with positive thoughts, hand wipes, sanitizer, and Clorox wipes with Hydrogen Peroxide...and more positive thoughts!

We have made no plans for Belize yet...any suggestions for adults with older teens?

Thanks again for all of your amazing pictures and commentary! It was delightful, and your daughter just makes me smile...even when she was "grumpy"!

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time on the beautiful Jade. We really enjoyed the ship...just a few bloopers. :p

I really hope you don't end up getting sick, but the "season" for this nastiness is dying down.

Belize-well we did Goffs Caye this time obviously. So if they enjoy the beach and snorkeling then that's an option. Also, if you want adventure, check out my shark-ray alley tour I did. Now THAT was amazing...swimming with the sharks and rays was a great experience and then heading to Caye Caulker. Then there's the cave tubing if you haven't done that before. We have been twice and enjoyed it. It's a real educational experience as well with some pretty neat facts along the ride there and once you are there on the walk to the caves too. I would highly recommend it as well. The only other thing we have done there is head over to another island (which use to be called Bannister Island, which has changed names now to Starfish Island). We had a good time there, but others use to report they didn't. Since it has changed owners, I'm honestly not sure what it's like these days. But then again, I'm not hard to please either. :)