Conflicting Info. CHEERS out of NYC

peekinglemer

We will be on the 11 day Journeys Cruise on the Carnival Vista sailing out of NYC this November. I was interested in getting Cheers now that it is enhanced to include coffee, water, etc.

I read you can't use Cheers on the first day if you are sailing out of NYC. I have gotten conflicting info. about how this will work.

Some people say you have to buy your own alcohol during day one and pay for it out of pocket. Others say your alcohol purchases will show on your sail and sign card but then "come off" your bill once you reach international waters.

Does anyone know which it is?

Also, if it turns out you can't use Cheers the first day of the cruise, does that mean that the coffee, water, etc. also does not apply for the first day?

Thanks in advance.

We will be on the 11 day Journeys Cruise on the Carnival Vista sailing out of NYC this November. I was interested in getting Cheers now that it is enhanced to include coffee, water, etc.

I read you can't use Cheers on the first day if you are sailing out of NYC. I have gotten conflicting info. about how this will work.

Some people say you have to buy your own alcohol during day one and pay for it out of pocket. Others say your alcohol purchases will show on your sail and sign card but then "come off" your bill once you reach international waters.

Also, if it turns out you can't use Cheers the first day of the cruise, does that mean that the coffee, water, etc. also does not apply for the first day?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think that NY (or NJ) has a blue law that prohibits alcohol sales on a Wednesday (Nov 16) afternoon. You may be hearing from cruisers from Galveston who couldn't use Cheers on their 1st day due to Texas Sharia laws, oops, I mean Christian blue laws.

Straight from carnival dot com

Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas, Alabama and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day).

I don't think that NY (or NJ) has a blue law that prohibits alcohol sales on a Wednesday (Nov 16) afternoon. You may be hearing from cruisers from Galveston who couldn't use Cheers on their 1st day due to Texas Sharia laws, oops, I mean Christian blue laws.

Ha Ha however you can still consume alcohol on board when you leave Texas. the cruise line can only sell liquor that was purchased in Texas while in Texas waters. It is all about Texas tax revenue.

Straight from carnival dot com

Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas, Alabama and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day).

Thanks, I stand corrected. I copied the following from the cheers main page on Carnival:

Guests sailing from New York and Galveston will not be able to activate the CHEERS! program until Day 2.

I honestly have no idea why a cruise ship leaving from a NY harbor on a Wednesday afternoon cannot enjoy an alcohol package purchase. Guess I need further enlightenment.

Thanks in advance.

See the poster who gave you the info from Carnival's website. It isn't conflicting.

Always go to the source.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I copied the following from the cheers main page on Carnival:

Guests sailing from New York and Galveston will not be able to activate the CHEERS! program until Day 2.

I honestly have no idea why a cruise ship leaving from a NY harbor on a Wednesday afternoon cannot enjoy an alcohol package purchase. Guess I need further enlightenment.

https://www.sla.ny.gov/unlimited-drink-specials

Because..."The ABC Law prohibits from selling, serving, delivering or offering to patrons an unlimited number of drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price." This has become a problem for people in the city wanting "drunk brunches" and unfortunately extends to cruise lines departing from the city.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Ha Ha however you can still consume alcohol on board when you leave Texas. the cruise line can only sell liquor that was purchased in Texas while in Texas waters. It is all about Texas tax revenue.

I think it's the same law in Alabama. The last time we sailed from Mobile, it was a pretty limited menu until we were in the open ocean....which takes a little when sailing from Mobile. Not as long as New Orleans though!

Sailed on NCL out of NYC. Always able to use the UBP as soon as we boarded. Did have to pay NYC sales tax on any beverage received before we hit international waters. What I don't get is even if this is NY law, what jurisdiction would they have once the ship got out into international waters ?

This seems to be an issue with Carnival at least in Galveston as Royal and,Norwegian allow their drink program to be used on embarkation day. I have always theorized that Carnival uses the "law" as an excuse when in fact it's just that they don't want a bunch of complaints by cruisers who want better liquor than they offer until reaching international waters. They just don't want to pay Texas the extra tax and I don't blame them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance.

I sailed the Splendor out of NYC and I could not buy Cheers until we were out at sea (the same day as embarkation just later in the evening) l. All the drinks I had during embarkation and sail away where comped except my Drink of the Day which I asked for in a regular glass and got in a regular glass (so no souvenir glass so it should've been comped) but I didn't feel like fighting with guest services to get it removed

Edited by missy428
Clarification

I sailed the Splendor out of NYC and I could not buy Cheers until we were out at sea (the same day as embarkation just later in the evening) l. All the drinks I had during embarkation and sail away where comped except my Drink of the Day which I asked for in a regular glass and got in a regular glass (so no souvenir glass so it should've been comped) but I didn't feel like fighting with guest services to get it removed

That makes much more sense for NYC cruises. Thank you for posting. I do plan on purchasing Cheers for my 7/4 cruise on Sunshine.

It's weird that the Carnival website is now saying NYC is a wait till day 2 for cheers as well. I sailed the Splendor this past August, I was able to buy drinks as soon as I boarded, but Cheers was not sold until the ship reached international waters on day 1. Any drinks you purchased prior to buying cheers were wiped off you S+S account. Hoping its the same situation.

Edited by RHilla619

It's weird that the Carnival website is now saying NYC is a wait till day 2 for cheers as well. I sailed the Splendor this past August, I was able to buy drinks as soon as I boarded, but Cheers was not sold until the ship reached international waters on day 1. Any drinks you purchased prior to buying cheers were wiped off you S+S account. Hoping its the same situation.

If you pre-purchase the package, you cannot buy it until day 2... If you are on the ship, once you reach international waters you can purchase, but you will pay the 5.00 a day up charge for the package..

I always like to buy Cheers on Day 2 anyway and we drink our carry on wine on Day 1. Sailing from NYC, I can now pre-purchase it online for the cheaper price and have it start on Day 2. Win-Win for me.

I agree. If I pre pay for 7 days vs. purchasing onboard for 8 days I'll save about $106.00 per person. I can drink my carry wine on day 1 as well.

Can someone confirm

When I board ship in New York port I am able to buy a alcohol drink without a Cheers package and charge it to my Set & Sail card is that correct?

Just checking if I can consume and buy alcohol when I board ship the first day of cruise

This law is only for if you purchase Cheers Package

Can someone confirm

When I board ship in New York port I am able to buy a alcohol drink without a Cheers package and charge it to my Set & Sail card is that correct?

Just checking if I can consume and buy alcohol when I board ship the first day of cruise

This law is only for if you purchase Cheers Package