Pre-cruise hotel in Los Angeles

Have booked Explorer LA to Miami, Jan 2017, and will be flying in the day before. I can't find any mention of what hotel RSSC uses for their pre-cruise night. If you've used this service, which one did you get and do you know if they use the same one all the time?

Thanks!!

We have three couples doing the same and according to our TA you can book hotels much cheaper on your own. Rather than going through Regent, we are having him find us a nice place, then have a van pick us up for the trip to ship. Regent is showing the Intercontinental Century City as hotel of choice for those passengers getting the included pre cruise night. We are looking at hotels closer to the port in Long Beach area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.

So, did you get a credit from Regent for not using their hotel and transfer? If so, how much? I'm making my own flight arrangements and taking a credit for the air, but was unsure about the land portion.

Do you know what terminal/pier/location to have your van go to get to the Explorer's docking location? Again, if so, how did you obtain that info?

I'd like to make my own ground arrangements, too, but I'm uneasy about knowing where to tell the van driver where to take us.

Thanks again!!

I do not know which hotel Regent uses. Probably someplace in Long Beach.

The ship docks in San Pedro. Check out the Crowne Plaza or Double Tree. Both are walking distance to the port and I believe both have a shuttle. San Pedro is a sleepy little town, but here are plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro is about $20. Primetime, SuperShuttle and GO are some local services.

j

Thanks for your reply.

So, did you get a credit from Regent for not using their hotel and transfer? If so, how much? I'm making my own flight arrangements and taking a credit for the air, but was unsure about the land portion.

Do you know what terminal/pier/location to have your van go to get to the Explorer's docking location? Again, if so, how did you obtain that info?

I'd like to make my own ground arrangements, too, but I'm uneasy about knowing where to tell the van driver where to take us.

Thanks again!!

If you are in a Concierge Suite or above, the hotel credit is $175 per person. The Port of Los Angeles cruise ship schedule shows that the Explorer will be berthed at the World Cruise Center, Berth 93. The Explorer is the only cruise ship in port on the day you embark, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. :D

Hope this helps.

I was thinking of doing it in reverse of what you've suggested -- a hotel close to the airport and a shuttle to the pier the following morning. I've used Supershuttle before and that was my thought for the run from the hotel to the ship.

I think the last piece of data I need to make up my mind is the RSSC credit for hotel and transfer.

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of doing it in reverse of what you've suggested -- a hotel close to the airport and a shuttle to the pier the following morning. I've used Supershuttle before and that was my thought for the run from the hotel to the ship.

I think the last piece of data I need to make up my mind is the RSSC credit for hotel and transfer.

Thanks for your reply.

You will have a lot less stress if you do this the other way around. The hotels around the airport are just that, airport hotels. A shuttle from a San Pedro hotel takes 5 minutes to the dock and it leave when your ready.

And you can watch the ship dock in the morning if you want.

j

Another hotel compromise option suggestion: I stay at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach several nights every few months, just a few miles south of San Pedro, and bit nicer than the Crown Plaza, and have been impressed with the service. You could reserve an executive room with a sparkling view of the harbor and the Queen Mary. The hotel is quite nice and modern, and you could have dinner across the street in the little seaside mini-village at one of the many harbor view restaurants (some are better than others), walk around there or on the bluff and people-watch heading towards Belmont Shore, or walk on the beach a couple miles heading downcoast.

If you opt to eat in the harbor village area across from the Hyatt probably your best dining choice is Parker's Lighthouse (you can make reservations on Open Table to be stress-free). They have decent sushi, seafood and steak options, a full bar, and good service. Note that though the food is expensive, I would not consider their food truly gourmet (that's what the cruise will try and approximate). You pay for view, comfort, and service.

Then the next morning you could have your van or cab take you to the cruise ship, stress-free.

The Hyatt Regency, Crown Plaza and Hotel Maya (Doubletree) were the three hotels that our TA recommended for the pre-cruise night. Is anyone familiar with the Maya? Website looks nice and Tripadvisor no worst than others. The Explorer arrives in port on Friday the 13th, so it will be there when we arrive.

I am from Los Angeles and want to remind those of you who choose to stay near the airport or a distance away from the port that the traffic will be extremely heavy when you take a taxi or other transportation to the ship. Do not underestimate L.A. traffic (we moved 1200 miles away to get away from it:)

That would also be a quintessentially LA experience!

It's about 23 miles from LAX to San Pedro. So if you are trying to board around noon, you have about nine hours of extra time in case traffic is real bad. Generally, if not during rush hours, the drive is about 30 minutes. And if you are Mr Wolfe, driving his NSX, you can get anywhere in LA in 20 minutes.

Love your post - probably because it is so true.