Cruise Insurance --Gratuities on Package Offer

Little blurb from InsureMyTrip:

Trip Cost Help

The cost of your trip is used to calculate the amount of your Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage. Trip Cost is used also to determine the price for each plan.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage reimburses you should your trip be cancelled or interrupted for a covered reason. Be sure to insure the full amount of your prepaid and non-refundable travel arrangements; you can have trouble with claims if you don't. Non-prepaid and refundable items are not covered.

You need to understand if those gratuities are refundable in the event of a cancellation. The T&Cs aren't too clear on this.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/choicefeb2016?hide_hf=true

Edited by triptolemus

Little blurb from InsureMyTrip:

You need to understand if those gratuities are refundable in the event of a cancellation. The T&Cs aren't too clear on this.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/choicefeb2016?hide_hf=true

NCL terms states - Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable.

So, I'm thinking the gratuities are non-refundable as well and should be included in the total cruise amount. :confused:

NCL terms states - Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable.

So' date=' I'm thinking the gratuities are non-refundable as well and should be included in the total cruise amount. :confused:[/quote']Those terms are for the purchased UBP, and they do not necessarily apply to the promotional UBP. However, the promo terms also say that "No components included in this offer have any monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable." (The grammar is characteristically awful, I really think they do it on purpose, but it seems like they are trying to say that "all components are non-refundable"… :rolleyes:)

But if they have been refusing to refund the service charges to people who cancel their cruises, I feel sure that we would have heard about it, loudly, by now. So I think it's worth calling NCL, or better yet, waiting to hear from people who have actually had the charges refunded recently after cancelling. Anyone?

hawkeyetlse

You make a good point. I think if people didn't receive a refund there would be a lot of flake.

Found this on NCL

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

With that said, I am assuming that I don't have to include the service charge in the total trip amount for travel ins being it is refundable.

Which has be thinking also about Port Charges and taxes... Are they refundable or not? :confused:

hawkeyetlse

You make a good point. I think if people didn't receive a refund there would be a lot of flake.

Found this on NCL

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

With that said' date=' I am assuming that I don't have to include the service charge in the total trip amount for travel ins being it is refundable.

Which has be thinking also about Port Charges and taxes... Are they refundable or not? :confused:[/color']

Personally I include port charges and tax, because if the trip is interrupted and you don't complete the cruise, let's say for a medical reason, yet you've already visited one or more port the port charges wouldn't be refundable at that point. You might want to post this question on the Cruise/Travel Insurance subforum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635) to get answers from others who have experience with this. Or better yet, call TripInsuranceStore.com or InsureMyTrip.com directly and ask what they recommend. I've had good customer service from both when I've called.

Edited by Mistizoom

i was told that since the 15.50 day a charge is refundable not to insure it. then again, you should probably bump up to the top of the tier you are buying insurance for since its free

in my instance 2694 PP so i upped it to 3000 'free' since thats where they drew the lines with the rates

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

A lot of travel insurance is banded. So for instance, if the per person travel expense is between 1000-1500 you pay the same premium. It doesn't matter if it is 1001 or 1499, anything in the band gets the same premium.

So, unless the port charges, taxes fees and package gratuities push you into the next band, there is no harm in including it when getting the quote and binding the coverage. Also, there is no fraud as you will be asked for documentation at claim time. If NCL refunds the prepaid service charge, great then the insurance won't pay for it. If they don't refund it, great you priced it in when you got your insurance.

Also, you can always ask the agent about it.

Not sure how familiar you are with NCL.

I received their free offers - Beverage and Dining Packages.

On my invoice it states

!8% Service Charges for the packages,

On NCL's website terms, service charges are refundable.

Which means I should not include that amount when getting a quote for travel ins.

I questioned this and NCL first response was -

Daily Service Charge is refundable where the gratuities for food and beverage is not.

I still don't understand because by what NCL stated the Food and Beverage are gratuities :cool:

I asked them to clarify -- I asked....

The 18% on the specialty dining package and beverage package are a non-refundable gratuity and should be included in the total trip price when quoting travel insurance? My invoice states the 18% as Service Charges not Gratuities. ..I have not pre-pay the Daily Service Charge

NCL responded -

this may have a minimal affect your travel insurance.

How would you interrupt this????

They are non-refundable in the sense, if you cruise you pay. If you don't cruise, I am pretty sure they are refunded. I don't know for certain as I haven't had to find out.

Also their answer is a non-answer. They really don't know which travel insurance you are looking at so they don't want to give advice that may be wrong.

I refer to my previous post. Most travel insurance is banded. Unless it pushes you into the next band, then a change in price doesn't matter. I too am booked on NCL with the UBP. I included the service charge when pricing out the insurance. Including or excluding it wasn't going to change my rate, so I included it. If I were to submit a claim, then I would need to see if NCL refunded it or not.

They are non-refundable in the sense, if you cruise you pay. If you don't cruise, I am pretty sure they are refunded. I don't know for certain as I haven't had to find out.

Also their answer is a non-answer. They really don't know which travel insurance you are looking at so they don't want to give advice that may be wrong.

I refer to my previous post. Most travel insurance is banded. Unless it pushes you into the next band, then a change in price doesn't matter. I too am booked on NCL with the UBP. I included the service charge when pricing out the insurance. Including or excluding it wasn't going to change my rate, so I included it. If I were to submit a claim, then I would need to see if NCL refunded it or not.

I did a comparison - with and without...Without including the 18% service charge I save $80.00 or more. (depends on the Ins Co)

That is a big savings.

I don't want to pay for something that's not covered.

Neither I nor anyone on this forum have any liability for the answers we give you.

I would ask the agent and document the answer. Of course, if you called me with this question I would answer "Any non-refundable charges." So you are going to be right back where you started. Even if you get an answer from NCL that they are refundable and then they don't refund them, you are probably still going to be out the money as you will have no recourse to force them to honor what the employee said.

The safe answer is to suck it up and insure it for the higher amount.